1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

To me ANYTIME you have to resort to a Plan B....YOU MISSED! Its good to have a Plan B but I prefer to hit on Plan A, because that means you got the player you targeted.

I think we have improved but we STILL have the same glaring wholes we had last yr. A legit DT and a WR with speed.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Just as God intended

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They weren’t going to fill every hole in a single offseason, and expecting them to do so is silly. This feels like you’re searching for something to complain about.

Not to mention, WR would not rank among the team’s biggest needs: DT, CB, S, MLB, OL depth are all much greater needs than WR.

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Snuffleupagus is better....stuff the run and get after the quarterback

5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

How many times did we hear that Morey was in on a player but came up short? It became a running joke.

And how many players was Caserio in on but came up short by $1M or $2M? If thats who you want and that's who you targeted....YOU GO GET HIM!

6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

This is an awful philosophy. I can’t imagine a worse business approach. Overpaying simply because a player is your “Plan A” is a recipe for having holes everywhere rather than just at a couple of spots.

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

To me, you fill depth in the draft and needs in Free Agency. When Tank went down, our biggest need was another WR....THAT IS A NEED. When we couldn't run the ball last yr, RB became a NEED. When we couldn't stop Baltimore from running in the playoffs, DT became a NEED. WR, RB and DT were needs.

We still NEED a WR and a DT

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  8. showa13

showa13 Member

This is how you end up being the Jags, perennial overpayers and underachievers.

And it’s pretty obvious they’re going to draft a WR, you know with it being the DEEPEST WR draft, maybe ever.

zeeshan2, GOATuve and crose like this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

#4589 zeeshan2, Mar 16, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

We missed out on Barkley by $1.5M and Armstead by $3M, a total of $4.5M - $5M. Caserio couldn't get Tunsil or Howard to restructure their contracts since they both sent out SAD FACE emojis to make that happen? Or cut Wood, a WR who was hurt or couldn't separate last yr?

To me that is Business 101

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Business 101 is not overpaying. Armstead was massively overpaid.
    Mixon is as good as Saquon and more dependable.
    Draft is where you get cheap controllable starters. Not free agency. It has been proven time and time again, you don’t win by spending in free agency.

13. Fantasma Negro

He's injury prone as **** but damn this would've been sick for 5 games. I'm a little excited to see who Nick adds instead

#4593 Fantasma Negro, Mar 16, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2024
    UTSA2step, Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yea and when those injury prone guys get injured again we will all get mad at Nick for overpaying for them when there were cheaper, maybe even a little bit better alternatives

15. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

What if Barkley was never going to come to the Texans at all? What if he was just leaking them as his preference to get Philly to up their offer? Texans offer 1 million more, than so does Philly. And so on, and so on? Where does it end. He’s from Philly. Went to Penn St. I think they his preference all along. He did all that following Texans players deliberately. I don’t think the Texans “missed out on him” at all. I don’t think they ever had a chance.

GOATuve and Xopher like this.
  16. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is backwards.
    The draft is where you build the team and then you fill in a gap here or there in free agency. I don't think draft as depth is the correct way to look at it. Depth to what? Where would the first line of the team come from then if the draft is just for depth?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Well if we don’t add some good meat soon, it’s gonna be a vegetarian lasagna…

hlmbasketball likes this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Please define "legit DT?" Is it only about sacks?

GOATuve and evo8lover like this.
  19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Let me ask you this, since you're saying the Jags are mismanaged. Which team is the ONLY team in our division to never make it to an AFC Championship game?

How is it that KC can sign Mahomes to a $500M contract, pay their DT to a $150M contract, still hold on to Kelce, pay Justin Ried $14M per yr, and still hold on to L'Jarius Sneed.

Baltimore just paid Lamar Jackson over $200M, traded and paid Raquon Smith last yr, keeps Madibuike for $100M and recently sign Derrick Henry.

CJ is on a Rookie contract, we have Tunsil, Howard and Hunter on large contracts, maybe one or two others but thats it.

Why couldn't we have over paid another $4M - $5M to get who we wanted and make it fit?

houstonstime likes this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Look at who was in the last 5 Super Bowls.

KC - Chris Jones
    Rams - Aaron Donald
    SF - Arik Armstead, remember him?
    TB - Ndamukong Suh
    Philly - Fletcher Cox

Who do the Texans have? Settles?? Lol

You have to have a legit DT

houstonstime likes this.