1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something clicking with Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Mar 14, 2024.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just have my doubts. I've seen far too much chucking of 3's for my liking. Just because you like a guy who chucks over 300 3PT shots in a season doesn't mean I have to.

2. Ancient Moabite

Name the players you want to trade him for

Everything you typed is what the eye test recognize

But the past 20 games or So is nothing like his December numbers

They can't get cat fished because the extension of a player this young is banking on what he becomes (reaching potential/or high trending) during that extension

They are not extending Green based on what he exclusively did his first 4 seasons stat wise, they are doing it banking on he could stick to this post ASB 24/25ppg with 56-58 tsp and steady improve play make decision/all around game the way Ime has stressed to him about day one

What player do you want to trade/replace Green with??

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't think you actually watch games. I have never seen you discuss anything in regards to on court actions like defensive sets, offensive sets etc. You analysis is essentially: "bad three point shooter or good here point shooter" and even then it's devoid of all context like the type of shots they get(for example Green is often a bail out guy when shot clock is running ot resulting in some more hoisted threes because its better to jack up a shot than get a shot clock violation).

Can you acknowledge things like his massive defensive improvements? Or his ability to read open teammates?

But I used you kinda have to actually watch games for that.

Mathloom likes this.
  4. Ancient Moabite

Just the way you presented it seem that way its all good tho

I never compared Green to Kobe nor Tmac outside of how they both came in League out of HS and developed diff

Kobe was not starting for his team in his second season but was all star starter with 15ppg

He won't never be those two, but his development is similar to theirs being both were raw, Kobe just got traded to better situation with a prime Shaq

If Green can reach consistent level like Booker/Mitchell, that would suffice

And Booker/Mitchell are not Kobe/Tmac, but they are not chopped liver either

Mathloom and MadMax like this.
  5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Really?

In December he averaged 37.2% FG and 32.1% from behind the arc.

His last 20 games he averaged 38.1 FG% and 25.7% from behind the arc.

jim1961 likes this.
  7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I just don't want our top shooting guard, and the player on our team who takes one of the biggest amount of shots per game as #31 in TS% of all SG. That's where we disagree. I don't see that as a key to winning against the Championship level teams.

jim1961 likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

I know what your opinions are. I'm starting they are based on superficial analysis.

9. Ancient Moabite

Well someone must have posted a flawed 20 game stat

But my true question is who would you trade Green for, what are your options?

We all know you are good at posting numbers, is that all you use when deciding which player to take?

Wouldn't Grayson Allen(or whatever that Suns player name) be worth the max since he is either leading or one of the best 3pt snipers in the game?

Grayson for Green right?

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Cope season. Jalen playing well. Here comes the explanations.

AHKSHUALLYY

Rocketeer and Ancient Moabite like this.
  11. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

It's called, Sengun in gone and now I'm dat dude again.

12. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Grayson would NEVER EVER be a max player.... EVER

Ancient Moabite and fchowd0311 like this.
  13. fchowd0311

That poster probably is perplexed why Devin Booker and Durant are dominating the ball when they got a 48% 3 pt shooter just standing there waiting for shots.

"Just give that guy the ball, he's the next goat"

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  14. Ancient Moabite

I feel ya

We all want the post ASB version

Make sure you post those numbers when you get a moment, those are the type of numbers the front office is banking on when extension time comes around, he performs like that on a consistent basis then pretty sure you will stop posting his numbers

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Well duh everyone knows Steve Kerr is the GOAT. Not MJ.

Best players of all time. In perfect order : https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/who-has-the-highest-career-3-point-field-goal-percentage

16. fchowd0311

If we went to the school of @deb4rockets analysis, then Grayson Allen just might be a max level player.

Ancient Moabite and Castian Crew like this.
  17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

To me, this just feels different. I think that we are going to see a lot better data over the next 98 games.

The finishing through contact and they’re getting to the rim just looks so much more strong and confident. That is only going to continue as he gains muscle. And personally I think the shot looks a lot better.

Jalen Green went through the types of things before coming to the NBA that I would expect to hold someone back a little bit development-wise. And it does seem that there are a few things that are definitely self-inflicted.

I just see a different player over the last 15 or 20 games. It isn’t always evident it just feels like an evolution.

and yeah, I don’t necessarily compare finishing strong this year to what has gone on the last couple seasons.

I think that this is a significantly better player than the last couple years, even though some of the data might be pretty set in stone.

overall, I expect either green or Whitmore to become atop shelf scorer. I just don’t want to trade green this summer for anything else than a kings ransom. I am more content to let him go for nothing next summer of 2025 if needed.

18. Ancient Moabite

I know right, but that poster seems to be fixated on 3pt snipers so they would drop the max on a mid level exception player because as they say, chicks did the 3 ball(home run)

Castian Crew likes this.
  19. Ancient Moabite

20. platypus

platypus Member

Honestly the amount of people on this board and Reddit dogging a 22 year old kid is downright disgusting.

The kid is 22, played for the worst team in the league for his entire career except this year, with the worst coaching arguably in league history. The team under Silas had zero direction, accountability, and leadership. He finally has a competent coach, and guess what has growing pains. This is the first time most likely in his life where someone has held him accountable professionally. Sure he’s had his ups and downs but it’s clear watching the games he’s bought in and wants to win for Udoka.

Some of you posters think we still are the Harden Rockets competing for a championship. News flash we aren’t. We are at best a playin team with a bunch of young talents and veterans who are good players but aren’t game changers.

I for one am glad Green is taking the tough coaching and putting together a string of good games. If anything it gives Udoka a base to keep building him up for next season and continued improvement.

And I doubt the front office is stupid enough to trade Green, who again is only 22 and 5 years away from his NBA prime, for a ham sandwich as some of you want.