1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

OTC has it at 21M without those guys. Also their cap hits will be their cap hit minus 900k since it pushes a min contract off top 51.

jch1911 likes this.
  2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm wondering whether we might surprise some and take certain players listed as EDGE to fill interior roles. I'm particularly thinking of Chop Robinson who has the mass required for the interior, but who has the quickness to play Edge. Then, the necessity to trade up for Sweat allows us to see if he will fall to 59 like some simulation runs have.

Imagine Chop and Sweat inside and WAJ and Hunter Outside with the rotation pieces we already have. You can't count on draft availability, but you can hope.

I also believe we can get the WR we need in the middle rounds and have hope Metche becomes the receiver he was drafted to be a further year removed from beating cancer. So two swings at weapons.

Bralen Trice is another Edge who might do well moving inside. His weight is listed as 245 and 270 depending and might be a step slow as an Edge in the NFL. The explosiveness of an Edge on the inside is a fascinating thing to contemplate.

#4262 Marshall Bryant, Mar 15, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The top 51 is the problem. Our dead cap is pushing the Total Cap into the lead as the key Cap restriction. Dead cap is up to $25M now.

SPOTRAC

Top 51 space - $20,013,069 (without six players)

Total Cap space - $8,283,069 (without six players)

#4263 Marshall Bryant, Mar 15, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  4. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Chidobe signed with the titans, but agree on the positions you listed that I hope we add to

5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't DaQuan sign with the Bills?

6. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Yes

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

He does that more times than not. Granted I know Ryan's wanted Armstead vs Settle or Collins. I mean Nick is working the cap how he needs to for ownership and for success with how he sees it too.

raining threes likes this.
  8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Cut Wood. If the Chiefs can still sign Hollywood Brown, surely Nick could've paid Armstead.

Phillyrocket and Cstyle42 like this.
  9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All I can say is that I hope we hit the jackpot with the players we draft, especially in a wide receiver and cornerback. We can't afford to give up draft picks to trade up.

I was just looking ahead at the projected cap space for 2025 between our division rivals and Tennessee is going to have a lot more money to play with than the rest of us. Let's hope Levis doesn't become the player they want him to be. The Colts and Jags are screwed.

Titans $139,220,158
    Texans $86,564,281
    Jaguars $47,335,463 *
    Colts $32,563,348

*The Jags will have a lot less though after Lawrence signs a new contract for 2025. He's listed at $11,707,019, and no telling what his new contract will be.

The rest of us will feel that punch a year or 2 later though, when our QBs get their big money, and we will take the biggest hit of all, especially with CJ's agent doing the negotiating.

rfrocket, jch1911 and ROCKSS like this.
  10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Hollywood is the guy I was holding my breath for! Don't be surprise if his stats are on par or even better than Ridley's at the end of the year. I can't stress enough the importance of having a legit, high end QB throwing passes at a receiver! Especially a QB that excels at throwing the long ball! IMHO, the Chiefs just got a lot stronger in the passing game!

Love Nico Collins, he's a great receiver, but he really didn't start to shine until Stroud made his GRAND ENTRANCE. IMHO, Hollywood would've looked just as good with Stroud!.

STILL love what the Texans have done so far this offseason, especially on the D-Line, only hope our receivers can stay healthy!!!

Go Texans!!!

houstonstime likes this.
  11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Last Free Agency Hopes / Dreams / Wishes
    Trade WR Robert Woods to NEP for IDL Trysten Hill or LAR for Bobby Brown III
    Sign SAF Justin Simmons (DEN)
    Sign LB Isaiah Simmons (NYG) (1 year, prove it deal designed to get him paid next year)
    Re-sign OT Josh Jones to 1 year deal
    Trade 238 to GB for WR Bo Melton (1 year left on his deal + ERFA next year)

12. Xopher

Xopher Member

Mahomes restructured and got them over 21 million in cap space. 17 million a year forn3 years is way too much for Armstead.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yup, I was really hoping we would have seen a Tunsil restructure by now. I can understand not cutting Woods until you have a recent to.

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If that's too much, why trade Maliek Collins for a 7th? You could have at least gotten a 4th or 5th.

He did the same thing with Brandon Cook. He traded him forma 5th, could have gotten a 3rd before the trade deadline

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m sure they already have something in place, but no reason to shoot your bullets without a target.

16. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Awuzie signed with Possum Holler.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's this really.

A restructure costs you money later, so you do it when you need to, not just to free up space to have it.

Same with cutting Robert Woods. Do it if you need to.

Same with trading Maliek Collins for a 7th rd pi...oh wait.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

They did their work and spent their money. I think they’re mostly done with free agency. Maybe some minor moves like Settle and Okudah. (<$4M)

[​IMG]

jch1911 and Shark44 like this.
  19. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

He’s saving that card (ace up his sleeve) is all can think of.

evo8lover likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

This is Two 2's. hehe.
    I want to believe.

houstonstime, GOATuve and J.R. like this.