1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something clicking with Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Mar 14, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cam Whitmore is so much better at that age when he came in, lol he is only 19 right.....

2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Context matters.
    Cam has the benefit of an actual coach, system, vets and an actual pg his first season. If cam came in during the Silas/kpj era, folks would have group him alongside with Smith as bust or some sht

Monkeychef02 and Bo6 like this.
  3. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He went from High School to top dog playing in shitty systems and now has a good coach who is breaking his bad habits. Imagine that.... an uber talented player is getting better under better circumstances.

topfive, Bo6, Radricky and 3 others like this.
  4. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cam also got sent down to send him a message, Udoka is a real coach.

5. PeppermintCandy

Thanks for the correction. Well, I guess I'm just remembering the losses and forgetting the wins LOL.

Still, I think this is more than just another hot streak for Jalen (to be inevitably followed by a cold one.) The way he's playing feels to me different from the past two seasons, in a way that shows he's developing as a player.

And to be honest, I've been skeptical of Green from the moment he was picked by the Rockets. So personally, I'm pleasantly surprised that he's showing this improvement and potential.

Mathloom likes this.
  6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't be fooled by his play with free rein and everyone hurt. Move him for the right target in the off-season. At best he's a square peg in a round hole. Someone will pay dearly.

jim1961 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

While the context of winning is added here, the archetype of someone who is a mediocre starter who is inconsistent at shooting and driving remains......

This is like someone ordering and using Alexa or AI platform and instead of ordering the assistant to do something, it has a mind of its own and 50% of the time it is the one who is ordering the human to do his own thing.

'I am no 6th Man type of robot voice, I am a capable model. You do your own chores'

And the fans of that AI are saying 'It finally clicked after the 99th time of using it and we hope it clicks again in the next 99 times of runs'.

#67 daywalker02, Mar 15, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  8. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Let's just be happy he's playing well down the stretch. People complain about everything

MrButtocks, duluth111222, Bo6 and 4 others like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I see him playing well and improving while we are winning that's a good sign for me, winning more while your vital players are out is good; folks spinning it that green is hot like the past 2 season is just ignoring the whole situation/context and spinning a narrative to sht on green some more.

Enjoy us winnin and green doing well when he's gone he's gone if he's still here just got to suck it up and stop btching every few threads. Wild folks are hating green even when he's playing well.

A young player being inconsistent what a wild concept for some folks.

#69 DatRocketFan, Mar 15, 2024
    Mathloom and GOATuve like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The earlier the better, then you can put a price tag on him instead of tiptoeing on egg shells when it comes to his value.

Thank you very much I enjoyed too much winning under MDA. My appetite is satisfied, I blocked out the 3 years of tanking.

Year 3 and Year 4......it is beyond enjoying games......

#70 daywalker02, Mar 15, 2024
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

If Jalen had played well for as many games as he's been bad this season, we would be calling him "consistent"--consistently good. When he plays poorly for most of his games and occasionally drops a banger, we call him "inconsistent". That's textbook homerism.

I'm glad Jalen is playing better, but a reminder that he also played better post-ASB his first two seasons in the league. I want to see more than him just closing out the season strong. Though if he manages to just barely pull his overall numbers up above what they were last season, at least that will be a small sign of progress. (Especially considering his defensive improvement.)

That will take a very strong finish to manage, though.

jim1961 likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Also the baby rumors dropped around that time..........time to earn that formula money....

13. marinara

marinara Member

His 22 years old lol

14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

this is such a simplified analysis to downplay green or sht on him doin well. oh he's playing well, it's just regular post-asb green.
    Him playing better post asb under silas where we had overall 20 and 22 win seasons is not the same sht as him playing better post asb under ime w/ teammates dropping like flies and play-in still possible.

cbass and GOATuve like this.
  15. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

No, because we're not stupid.

16. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

He gon be called Post ASB Jalen

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Do you think Cam's scoring efficiency would be the same if he was put in Green's position as a primary option who had to self create almost all his shots?

Cam scores 30% of his fgs unassisted. Green his rookie year at 19 scored 50% of his fgs unassisted.

It's a major difference.

cbass likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Jordon Poole would get 10 minutes of play time if Ime was his coach.

Jordan Poole is a worse defender than Silas Jalen Green.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sengun will be able to space the floor within 6-18 months, so anything Jalen is doing is fully replicable from now on. Sengun and Udoka know the 3pt shot is important and Udoka talked about it in an interview. I bet he comes back with a much improved shot next season, something like 35% on 2.5 attempts per game.

Same with Jalen, whether with us or somewhere else, it's crystal clear his career is certainly not going anywhere with a 32% 3pt shot. He needs to get stronger, attack the rim more often, take fewer 3's and work heavily on his shot mechanics by next season. Regardless of the volume, he can't shoot below 37% next season.

More than anything this is a great experiment to learn some new things. We're switching almost everything defensively which is new. We're running more and forced to create from the perimeter more often. That's going to take pressure off Sengun-FVV in the future.

I also happen to think it's really important for Udoka to see what's different in a faster pace with more space. Sengun can play both ways so it's an area worth exploring.

#79 Mathloom, Mar 15, 2024
  20. bmelo

bmelo Member

if it stays that way into the playoffs i prefer players that play good after ASG than at the beginning of the season when half of the league doesnt care