1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I'm grateful for Demeco, the Carolina Panthers and not to be forgotten Lovie Smith for winning that final meaningless game that actually turned out to be very meaningful.

#3401 couple of d's, Mar 13, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
  2. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Not only that, but he's had a torn ACL, a torn Hamstring AND a recent Achilles injury. No thanks.

It's too easy to get run of the mill semi-explosive backs that are gonna find you more games

3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Why do you think we need a receiver? Our receiving core was great last year as long tank comes back healthy we are fine.

Look at the teams that have won multiple super bowls in past decade. Did patriots and chiefs ever pay their big receiver? Chiefs literally won b2b titles after letting the best receiver in football go to Miami. Patriots didn't pay welker and still won. Didn't pay moss and won. In the three years they had moss they never won.

Think about all the teams in the past that decided to pay big money for a WR. When's the last time one of them won a Super Bowl. It's always an opposite effect. Falcons make Super Bowl, pay Julio and never even sniff the Super Bowl again. Cardinals make Super Bowl, pay Fitzgerald and never make it back again. WR are fun to root for and help a lot in fantasy but in real football that position just doesn't matter if you are trying to win. A good QB can throw it to anyone. Great WRs just mask the fact that your QB sucks... Andre did that for years for us. Made us think Schaub was good enough to win with.

red5rocket and couple of d's like this.
  4. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I agree with most of your post however Mahomes has Kelce who is basically a number 1 wr playing te. I would love to have a wr who can stretch the field with his speed i.e. Xavier Worthy. Elite speed like that can open up the field dramatically for Stroud. I loved when we had the kid from Notre Dame (forget his name at the moment). He just never panned out because he had butter fingers.

5. ThisIsAlanR

ThisIsAlanR Member

Will Fuller

couple of d's likes this.
  6. Fantasma Negro

$26,582,449 roughly but they still gotta pay rookies so about $12-15 mil depending on restructures

GOATuve and jch1911 like this.
  7. raining threes

They culd get 15 mil more pretty easily.

BamBam and Fantasma Negro like this.
  8. Fantasma Negro

Yeah, restructure Tunsil, Howard and or cut Woods =15+

ROCKSS and raining threes like this.
  9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Kelce is on his largest contract 4/57.

Imagine paying the best WR in the game during his prime that

10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

11. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

That's insane. Had no idea. Maybe thats part of his reasoning for hooking up with billionaire Taylor Swift lol

red5rocket likes this.
  12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

14. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I’d rather not use those restructure levers this year. Woods should only be cut if you draft a WR in the first 3 rounds.

Sooty likes this.
  15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We have less than you think with several contracts not included in SPOTRAC calculations. There are some line-outs which I don't know if it indicated cuts or conversions to camp invitations. They use cap as a placeholder for previous restructures at times too.

GOATuve and wallyj12 like this.
  17. the shark

the shark Member

What kind of $$ is Nico going to being seeking if he has another great season (because he's a FA after this season)? He's going to get big $$ from someone. So the Texans will be in the exact position you're saying they shouldn't do and that's pay the big $$ to a WR. This is a really good year in the draft for WR and why the Texans should take one in the 1st or 2nd rd. Plus you can never have enough good WR because of injuries (Texans lost Tank for the season and both Brown and Woods were hurt and missed time). There's a possibility they do exactly what you don't want them to do (pay Nico big $$) so why not bring in another WR in the draft (1st or 2nd rd). If there's a corner they like better in the 1st I'm down with that but I'd follow that up with a WR in the 2nd.

rfrocket likes this.
  18. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Man..........I was dog cussing Nick up until Hunter was signed then I saw the vision of what he was doing and now I must eat crow, I wanted Barkley so bad but now that our D is going to be elite (we have more work to do) and we got a stop gap in Mixon I am a happy camper. I am a fickle, fickle fan LOL

houstonstime, RunninRaven and BamBam like this.
  19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member