1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Spring Training 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 18, 2024.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

YESSIR! Get his bum ass out of here. Bring back Dusty! (that almost made me puke in my mouth a little bit).

desihooper and Tomstro like this.
  2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

IDIOT

IBTL and No Worries like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Nevermind lol

IBTL likes this.
  5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

So maybe the strategy of throwing a bunch of journeymen and minor league guys against the wall to see what sticks hasn't worked out so great for filling HALF the bullpen roles?

I'm shocked....

:rolleyes:

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I was wondering if you knew what that stood for.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Lots of unsigned guys and others that may not make other teams… if Brown is being honest, that’s not good for guys they brought in to compete for spots, must not look good.

PiPdAdY33 and raining threes like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh it’s really 2-3.

Bielak was always likely to be the long man and has been solid the last couple of years.

Coleman has really high upside and is worthy of one of the spots at the end of the pen.

I would personally like one more quality arm that isn’t overly expensive - and I would be happy.

PiPdAdY33 and IBTL like this.
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Coleman has 6 walks and 1 HBP in 2.1 IP thus far. Everyone better buckle up when that guy comes into a game.

Last week I think I mentioned I expected Bielak to get a spot because he is out of options.

So far... Luis Contreras, Seth Martinez, Taylor Scott, and Mushinski have been the best of the guys that are fighting for a spot. Sousa had 3 rough outings but looked better his last appearance.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

You can tell Brown is not being honest because he is talking

11. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

It's also hopefully only a half-year problem. Garcia and McCullers should push 1-2 starters to the pen.

Wulaw Horn, IdStrosfan and Nook like this.
  12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

raining threes, Nook and ryan_98 like this.
  13. the shark

the shark Member

As I mentioned previously, all of these guys in the pen (except for Hader, Pressly + Abreu) had a big IF next to their name and came with red flags. Not all of them were going to pan out and why I would've had no problem bringing Maton back or trading for another reliable arm. Come October, who isn't one of our top 4 SP will go to the pen, which will certainly help the depth of the pen. However they have to navigate a 162 game schedule first. This was one of Click's strengths (the pen). Let's see what Mr talks out of his ass can do to address it.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Coleman has been very volatile in his career - when he is healthy he is very good, when he isn't healthy - he is a disaster. That is why he was expected to be a back of the line reliever until he proved healthy.

Bielak isn't going to excite anyone, but he does what he is supposed to do most of the time.

What makes relievers so difficult is they have such small sample sizes when you rely on Spring Training. Really it requires a strong player development/evaluation staff to decide if the pitcher has "it" or not.

I suspect that Brown hoped 1-2 guys would emerge and knew if they didn't he could look to trade.

15. the shark

the shark Member

Hunter Harvey (WAS) sure would help.

Get 'er done Dana.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Why were you wondering that?

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

RP I would ask other teams about if I were Dana Brown: Brooks Raley, Hunter Harvey, Trevor Gott, Joey Wentz, Alex Faedo, Jalen Beeks

raining threes likes this.
  18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Saw an interview with McCullers. He said his elbow was worse than they thought when they went in and did the surgery and instead of an 8 month recovery his recovery will be 13-15 months. His "goal" was to be back end of July or early August.

raining threes likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. SuraGotMadHops

He's cooked.

raining threes and Stephen66 like this.