1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 8: Green Goes Nova

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 11, 2024.

?

Do you believe?

1. Yes

58.4%
  2. No

41.6%
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It’s a unique time in the Jalen-verse. Between an excellent coach that is his exact opposite, almost being traded, becoming a controversial father and our top scorer going down it seems the universe is forcing him to grow up immediately or exit this space. Many have already written this chapter as his end. Now, we find out what the guy in the nail polish is made of on the inside. Now we find out if he is what he is or if humans can rise above robotic projections of them. It’s one thing to narrowly escape the deadline, it’s a whole other thing to rise to being a young star.

Post ASB he’s been quite good but nothing mind blowing. It’s been a largely disappointing scoring season from Green despite recently putting together yet another one of his short good streaks. His defense, effort and passing have made undeniable strides this season. Even his shot selection has improved in this baffling cycle of ups and downs.

Before I say this next part, I want you to know that Alperen Sengun is going to be a superstar C in this league who can adequately protect the rim. I wish him the speediest recovery and have faith in his ability to show up next season with a much improved 3PT shot - which will make him compatible with anyone and everyone. Sengun has nothing to do with why Green has struggled except incidentally. It’s not because Sengun can’t shoot, it’s because they both can’t shoot well that the pairing has not taken off. We’re all deeply hurt by Sengun’s injury but let’s see what we can build to help Sengun when he’s back rather than wallowing in pity and finger pointing.

You’re going to see this teams pace and space increase to a level we haven’t seen yet. You’re going to possibly see slightly more turnovers and possibly lesser defense. This will be coupled with a new barrage of attacks on the rim from Jalen, Cam and Amen. You’re going to see Jabari become more important.

You’re going to see FVV become a better shooter and set up new exciting plays. You’re going to possibly see Brooks’ efficiency drop slightly but he will remain one of our most important players.

This coming phase is going to unlock another level for Jalen Green. Possibly the one we’ve been waiting for and something he can sustain even with Sengun next season. We’re going to see several eruptions to go with a higher floor. We’re going to see him treat the rim like his baby momma.

Most important of all, at the unlikeliest point of his career ever, you’re going to either see Jalen make a case for himself as a star or you’ll see me make a fool of myself. That’s going to be a lot of fun for you and a lot of food for thought about where this team’s path lies. It’s going to tell us a lot about how to conceptualize our core.

Here’s to the few remaining optimists and disciples that still believe in Jalen. Here’s to the birth of a star aka Nova.

2. Bo6

Bo6 Member

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. OnNotice

OnNotice Member

You a real one @Mathloom

Enjoyed reading this

sirjesse, topfive and Mathloom like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I need this passion injected into a Jock Lawndale series!

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Even if he succeeds, people are still going to find something NEGATIVE to say.....its just the world.in which we live.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Cam Whitmore went to villanova you fool

cml750 and daywalker02 like this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You’re gonna see team crowd the rim since there is no post threat.

don grahamleone likes this.
  10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Is Jalen Green good in the Jalen-Verse?

All this multiverse stuff is complicated and everything seems to be hit or miss after Endgame.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have no doubt that Sengun's abscence will dictate a wide open offense, more conducive to Jalen's game....with #'s rising across the board. He HAS looked better of late. JG's end of year run should give plenty of hope moving forward. Whether he can fit into an offense with structure, mostly running through AS remains to be seen. At minimum, his trade value goes up. But, I'm hoping the growth we've seen of late continues, and he begins to live up to that lofty draft status as a Houston Rocket.

#11 Plowman, Mar 11, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    Dobbizzle, snowconeman22 and BamBam like this.
  12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I've pretty much given up on the Jalen experiment!! Having said that, I HOPE HE FINALLY becomes that #2 pick we were all hoping for when we got him in the draft!! THAT would be a true silver lining moment for the organization!! I'll never say never, that's why I said "pretty much"... but I'm not holding my breath for him henceforth....

Go Rockets!!!

Dobbizzle, Mathloom and Plowman like this.
  13. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'm cheering for JG to put it together, it can only help the Rockets.

cml750, Corrosion, topfive and 3 others like this.
  14. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i am still rooting for jalen. This is going to be an exciting time to watch what we can do with run and gun offense. We'll see what jalen cam and amen can do.

topfive and Mathloom like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sure why not

Rocket River
    It could happen

topfive, Mathloom and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Jalen’s post ASB stats are almost the same as pre ASB. Up to 34% 3pt shooting post ASB though

17. Nook

Nook Member

If this is Green going "nova", then we are ****ed.

Green over the last 10 games has been very close to Green before the all star break.... the usage is the same, the TS% is about the same.

Now over the last 5 games he has numerically been a better offensive player. He is at like 22-23 a game with a TS of 58%, which is what he had back in November. His defense has been bad, but Amen Thompson actually has cleaned a lot of that up for Green.

18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Nice post!

Not looking forward to 18 games without Goon, but yes I'm looking forward to seeing how not only Jalen, but Bari, Cam, Amen and most importantly Ime, respond to this.

Will be interesting to see if they bring in another big. I doubt it although it's needed. This is going to be a huge test for Jock. Expect him to come out strong. He has a lot to prove and a big ol stage to do it on.

Could it end up Bittersweet?

topfive and Mathloom like this.
  19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He did have 3 good games in the last 6 though. That's about the best anyone could hope for when it comes to a guy like Green that really shouldn't be starting.

20. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I keep my eyes open to objective facts, but I'm definitely rooting for him to succeed.

That being said this thread and the variety of opinions are entertaining :D