1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Official Offseason Thread (2024)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tuckmose, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Based on the off season and comments so far, how would we utilize these weapons?

Nico Collins WR
    Tank Dell WR
    Dalton Schultz TE
    Brevin Jordan TE
    John Metche WR
    RB
    QB

5 linemen are ineligible to receive the ball. This leaves 6, including the QB eligible. Several RB possibilities can catch and I believe a TE lined up in the backfield at least once.
    Now add a potential raw TE with plus plus athleticism named Theo Johnson who may be taller, heavier and faster than any of the others. Would you run a split WO with Nico, Jordan and Metche on one side and Johnson and Tank on the other. I honestly don't know how to stress out a D, but I think we will have he tools to do it. Three TEs with plus receiver speed and a 6'6" speed demon with hands being one of them.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

SPOTRAC has his contract messed up. It shows him under contract in 2024, but also skipping 2024 and under contract in 2023 and a FA in 2025.HoustonTexans.com is still showing the 2023 roster.

3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yeaaaaa!! Hunt those bargains, save that money, stockpile those picks and cap space. We need to extend Nico next year. We need to resign CJ and WAJ in 3 years! Can’t waste money now! Solid plan!! Way to go! Smart play!

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Shark44, jch1911 and Wattafan like this.
  5. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Re-signed NCB Desmond King 1 year, $2.2M

raining threes likes this.
  6. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Lol.
    Free agency starts Wednesday 4pm.

cbass and raining threes like this.
  7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I know, I’m counting down the hours.. but while you and others are hoping we conserve our money by not overpaying top 10 guys with top 5 money, I’m only saying let’s conserve our money by not paying bottom 30 guys any money at all. (I like King at 1.8 mil) I don’t like Eric Murray at $1.00…

red5rocket, raining threes and Sooty like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Depth on both lines and depth in the d-backfield will make/break a team

raining threes and Wattafan like this.
  9. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

That's what I figured they're doing with the likes of Murray.
    They probably take a DB in the draft and blood him - if he is shaky, they have the vets to steady the ship.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Fun video, recap of 2023 starting with Demeco hiring....
    Edit.... video ends abruptly....

Love all the time the CJ spent with his core receivers.

#810 Uprising, Mar 9, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
    conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I believe we had the most FAs in the league, these are good/necessary depth signings. Really like Des, he cam back with extra juice. Davis is solid rotational IDL. Murray is ok, Demeco must like him.

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I love the Davis signing, great depth player and actually had some real bright spots last season. I also want to bring back Barnett for similar reasons. I like the king deal, 1.8-2.2 mil is nothing and he knows the system and is also a return man.. but Eric Murray? I dunno maybe it’s the stink of BOB on him, I just don’t want him here anymore. It was a terrible contract the last time, let’s see what it is this time.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

No team can spend $20M/yr on 51 players.

houstonstime likes this.
  14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I know, and as I said in another post, I love the Davis and King signings. But with the Safety market what it is, I feel like there was someone other than Eric Murray. I know it’s for depth, I just want anyone else.

jch1911 likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

-There’s interest from Barkley’s side about possibly teaming up with the Texans. A source close to Barkley said it’s up to Houston. So I wouldn’t be surprised if the Texans at the least explore it. I know some within the Texans like the idea. The issue is money, though. Barkley wants to be paid, and his market might not be there for him, especially with the influx of running backs in free agency. Swift is also an interesting name. He won’t cost as much but would be an upgrade. But the Texans are also open to bringing Singletary back if things don’t work out there.

-I don’t at all envision the Texans going after one of the top tier wide receivers and paying a whole bunch of money on one. But I do expect them to go after a quality No. 3 wide receiver, or someone looking to prove themselves. DeMeco Ryans said he’s looking for a receiver who is a separator. If they don’t find one in free agency, then the draft is deep with receivers. In the meantime, Samuel fits the mold of what the Texans are looking for. A quality receiver on third-down, a separator and a guy who can do multiple things. Bringing back Brown is a logical option, too.

-A league source told the Chronicle that the Texans were aiming big at defensive tackle. Another source said Wilkins, who previously played for the Dolphins, will likely be interested in the Texans. But he’ll command top dollar, with some around the league projecting him around $22 million per year. Still, he’s young, durable and can get to the quarterback and would fit well beside Will Anderson Jr.

-A source with knowledge of the discussions said the Texans have made offers to Cashman, but they haven’t gotten close to a number they can agree on. Cashman would likely take less to remain in Houston. Al-Shaair makes a lot of sense as a replacement if the Texans don’t re-sign Cashman. He played for DeMeco Ryans in San Francisco, when Ryans was a defensive coordinator. Ryans wanted him in Houston last offseason, before Al-Shaair left to Tennessee in free agency. The inside linebacker had 163 tackles with the Titans and had some experience playing Mike. Perryman is likely to go to another team.

-The Texans are more likely to go young and draft a corner in the first three rounds. This draft is deep with cornerbacks and I could see one being a Day 1 starter opposite of Stingley.

-This free-agent class is deep with safeties. That’s good news for the Texans if they want to dip into it. It’s about supply and demand, and the supply is plentiful, which means the price for the top safeties won’t be so high. Chinn is a solid young piece who could play strong nickel and safety.

-A source told the Chronicle that the Texans were at the combine looking at rookie punters. Johnston, who was second in the NFL in punts down inside the 20 in 2023, doesn’t appear likely to return. The Texans could go with a short-term option if they don’t find the right rookie punter.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Foley Fatukasi:

Fatukasi's strength is at the point of attack. He uses his hands well to disengage and flashes enough quickness to get penetration. He's also a bull rusher who can push the pocket, though he isn't going to pile up sacks or QB hits. He should be a solid rotational option for several teams. — Randy Mueller, The Athletic

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Bring on Derek Barnett on a short term deal.

raining threes, red5rocket and A_3PO like this.
  18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Restructure Howard & / or Tuunsil

QB CJ Stroud // Case Keenum // Davis Mills

RB Saquon Barkley (NYG) // Devin Singletary // Isaac Guerendo (D3)

FB Andrew Beck

X-WR Nico Collins // Xavier Hutchison

Z-WR Bo Melton (GB) // Devontez Walker (D2)

Trade 7th to GB for Bo Melton

Slot WR Tank Dell // John Metchie

Y-TE Dalton Schultz // Brevin Jordan

F-TE Teagen Quitoriano // Tip Reimann (D4)

OT Laremy Tunsil // Tytus Howard // Josh Jones

IOL Kenyon Green // Juice Scruggs // Shaq Mason // Kendrick Green // Jarrett Patterson

Edge Will Anderson Jr. // Bud Dupree (ATL) // Derek Barnett // Joseph Ossai (CIN) // Dylan Horton

- Trade Damon Pierce to CIN for Ossai

IDL Sheldon Rankins // NT Folorunso Fatukasi (NYJ) // / Maleik Collins // Javon Kinlaw (SF) // Khalil Davis

LB Willie Gay Jr. (KC) // Christian Harris // Isaiah Simmons (NYG) // Henry To’oTo’o // Trevin Wallace (D7)

CB Derek Stingley Jr. // Quinyon Mitchell (D1) // Shaq Griffin (CAR) // Desmond King II (NCB) // Kris Boyd

- Trade 1-23, 2025 2nd, WR Robert Woods, & 4-126 to NO for 1-14.

SAF Justin Simmons (DEN) // Jimmie Ward // Jalen Pitre // MJ Stewart // Eric Murray

ST K Fairbairn // P Austin McNamara (D7) // LS Weeks

1 CB Quinyon Mitchell

2 WR Devontez Walker

3 RB Isaac Guerendo

4 TE Tip Reimann

7 LB Trevin Wallace

7 P Austin McNamara

Via trades: WR Bo Melton + Edge Joseph Ossai

FA: Barkley + Dupree + Fatukasi + Kinlaw + Gay + I. Simmons + J. Simmons

I did an Excel sheet with the FA #s. Should be enough room for extension for Nico as well

Phillyrocket and houstonstime like this.
  19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yes. Yes to all of this. Love the Simmons signing as well.