1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Official Offseason Thread (2024)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tuckmose, Jan 20, 2024.

1. raining threes

This is where I'm at.

Considering the injuries and the fact that a guy like Deiter was starting at C, plus the fact that with a new system it was going to take time to gel, I thought the OL played above their talent level last year.

houstonstime likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let's just say new players get better next year and Howard and Tunsil can stay off the injury list. I'd say Singletary and Pierce might be a lot better than last year.

3. raining threes

They might be, but this might wouldn't stop me from bringing in Swift in FA and drafting a RB. I dont want to live in the world of might and if.

#783 raining threes, Mar 7, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    Qan and Wattafan like this.
  4. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Right.
    If we want to go deeper in the playoffs, we must get better and the clearest way forward now is improving the roster.
    We have the cash to do that and I'm certain the FO senses the urgency of the moment for Texans while we have this window.

raining threes likes this.
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Agreed, last year, getting singletary was a sneaky good sign. This year, the FA class is absurd and I feel like that would be a let down. Too much talent out there to just run it back.

6. Qan

Qan Member

So damn true. I'm tired of hearing might this and might that...if ands buts. How about making moves to actually improve in those positions...Texans are now in a window of contention; let's show that we are serious.

7. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

It also an if or a might that a RB coming from the 3rd best offensive line in the NFL would do as well as on a mediocre line like ours. He only averaged .4 more yards per carry than Singletary, who was playing behind a constantly rotating line that was broken and soft. Our line folded like marshmellows against good rush defenses. I'm not sure how much more he would cost, but wasn't it almost twice as much money? I would think that running backs do better with great offensive lines vice much weaker ones, and .4 more yards per carry isn't much. I'd think it's more of a chance Singletary does better with our line healthier, even if it isn't going to be great like Swift's team, than Swift performing better than before with a much worse offensive line.

#787 deb4rockets, Mar 7, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  8. raining threes

I'm not against bringing Singltary back. But depending on Singletary being a workhorse RB is fools gold. They need a 2nd and frankly a 3rd RB depending on how you feel about Pierce. The new RB's need to have different skilsets than Singletary. I see Swift as a poor man's Barkley. He finally stayed healthy last year and proved what he can do.

A_3PO, Qan, jch1911 and 2 others like this.
  9. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I am more than fine with that. I'd like Swift, Singletary and a nice draft pick. I just didn't want to lose Singletary for a trade. He'll be cheap enough, wants to stay here, and is worth keeping for the price, along with another RB in FA and the draft to make us better. Keep youth coming in for the future at a position like that. I agree with adding quality depth, especially on a position as crucial as running backs, where they take a beating. Yes, different skill sets give us more options, and will only make us better than last year.

#789 deb4rockets, Mar 8, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
    jch1911, Wattafan and raining threes like this.
  10. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

If we somehow fall short of signing Saquon (or the rumors were never true), I wouldn't mind bringing back Singletary either. Would love to draft a back, though. Jaylen Wright or Braelon Allen are the two I really like.

jch1911, cmoak1982 and raining threes like this.
  11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I just don't have faith in Pierce as a backup. He didn't play well at all last year. Out of 55 running backs with 400 or more yards he was dead last in yards per carry. Dead last isn't good enough at a position crucial for offensive balance. We need 2 better backs. That's why I'd rather have Singletary AND a FA.

12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I love Pierce but he doesn't fit the scheme and it clearly showed. They may give him another chance this season as a third back and move off him after the season. He's still relatively cheap so no point in cutting him. He's won't make a million until 2025.

#792 red5rocket, Mar 8, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
    ApolloRLB and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Agree, it clearly showed, but there's no reason to cut him while on a relatively cheap contract. Just add someone who fits.

Qan, ApolloRLB and red5rocket like this.
  14. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

this is the way. 3rd RB and special teams. Also he needs to put the weight back on he lost to gain quickness.

Qan and red5rocket like this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Floating this out there:

FA (from other teams)

Danielle Hunter OLB/DE/EDGE $20M

Saquon Barkley RB $10M

Justin Simmons S $11M

Cap space remaining $60M - $41M = $19M.

Wattafan and Fulgore like this.
  16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Cut Woods and add Wilkins at $25m and you have a deal sir.

17. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I can't help thinking Michael Thomas WR is worth a look too.
    Hard to ignore that season he had with a decent QB in NO.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Hell no. That dude is a cancer

raining threes likes this.
  19. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Why don’t we get Jamal Adams while we’re at it. We need a safety. Hell call up Antonio Brown and give CJ more weapons.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member