1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Supreme Court overturns Roe v. Wade, eliminating constitutional right to abortion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

No, but it does make Sky Father chuckle.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Keep in mind that Alabama law has a sunset of April 2025 (unless it was updated recently). Also, note that it does not redefine when life starts, but it provides legal immunity. If one takes the position that life starts at conception or a zygote is a child, as the Alabama court interpreted the law, it’s a temporary sanction of killing children until after the general presidential election.

No Worries likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So taking that logic it’s Ok to kill children only until after the general election

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

exactly

rocketsjudoka and Andre0087 like this.
  7. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Not really, it is the same idea. A skin cell is alive (or dead) and human (or whatever species it comes from). It is simply not an organism (a life), just because it is alive. All of these are definitions from biology (which last time I checked, is a science).
    No, it just means that they made a person. Parents do it all the time.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

A skin cell can be reversed to its progenitor pretty easily and then germ cell, then cloned

I think we’re gonna need to sit your ass down for not paying attention during the lesson last time. That or you deliberately lie or act stupid when explained to over and over again

you’re not a scientist bro, that much is clear

You have no idea what you’re talking about and you embarrass yourself constantly. Sad.

No Worries likes this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You aren't capable of ever admitting you are wrong, are you?

10. StupidMoniker

I already said a clone would be a human. Skin cells do not spontaneously transform into clones and grow into an adult. You and @rocketsjudoka are leaving out the part where a bunch of other stuff has to be done to the skin cell to make it into a clone. So yes, a skin cell through a lot of effort can be transformed into a person (though not yet into a person that has a lifespan like a natural person, in my reading - Dolly the sheep had about half the average sheep lifespan). A zygote doesn't require those efforts, it is already a person. The skin cell, without those additional efforts, is not an organism, it is part of an organ, which is part of an organism. You could make a giant brick into a building by painstakingly carving out the interior. At that point, the brick would be a building. Otherwise, a brick is a component of a building.
    I have admitted I was wrong many times. I am not wrong in this case.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Except that a zygote also doesn’t just turn into a fully developed human on its own. It too requires specific conditions to develop and most never make it to even attaching to the uterine wall.

Again this is largely a philosophical discussion. The political discussion is that many of the “pro-life” politicians accept that a zygote legally isn’t a person and can be destroyed. I don’t know the numbers off hand but for IvF for every successful embryo that makes to to birht several are destroyed or left frozen most likely until they are destroyed.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  12. StupidMoniker

What interventions are required for a zygote to develop? Do you have to revert it to a different form, strip the DNA from a human ovum, insert the altered zygote into the human ovum, etc. Seems like for the last few million years you just leave it alone and it either grows into an adult or it dies. The "specific conditions" are leave it alone.

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If you leave it alone it will not develop. A zygote can only develop if it can attach to a uterine wall and only under the right hormonal conditions within the uterus.

This why we even have things like IVF and hormone treatments.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Once you have instructions and genetic material, the potential for a particular life starts. How you get to that point is moot to the question of "is it life?" unless you want to argue that it needs to get there "naturally" because otherwise, it is missing some key yet-to-be-known or defined component (like the Soul). In this aspect, a zygote naturally made, artificially made, or an object made completely in a lab is all the same. Once you have that genetic material in place with instructions, then you need the right environment (today, that's implantation, nutrition, oxygen, hormones, right temperature, and so on that is provided in the mother's body; but in the future, it could also be a lab-made environment) for that potential for life to progress toward actual life itself.

The potential for life isn't equivalent to life itself. No one knows when the crossover occurs, and there's no consensus on it in science, philosophy, or ethics.

Any "I know" stance is, to me, a strong belief that is most likely due to Christian teachings, and a fairly recent one starting from the 19th century.

15. StupidMoniker

What actions do you need to take to have it attach to a uterine wall? Nothing, you leave it alone. It will attach or it won't. You can try to improve the odds with the therapies you mentioned, but they are not necessary to the process.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

the Host (mother) must be actively alive and fairly healthy

17. StupidMoniker

Neither of those things are actions, but yes. I don't know who was saying we could implant zygotes in corpses as some sort of macabre baby farm, but thank you for clarifying.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

got to breath (action) to be alive

got to take responsible care of your health (action) to be fairly healthy

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Show us where Biology says a skin cell is not life. You're just making **** up now.

No Worries likes this.
  20. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

The cell is the basic unit of life. It's part of the cell theory. Biology 101.