1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Official Offseason Thread (2024)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tuckmose, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Think 50s.

2. raining threes

SAM is on the strong side of the formation
    MLB is self explanitory
    Will Opposite SAM on opposite side of TE.

Sooty and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Nah this cold

raining threes likes this.
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just a random thought on a possible rule change.

Three persons are typically assigned to a single function only on special teams. If the NFL designated letters S, K and P to identify these players, it would free up three numbers which becomes an issue with retired numbers becoming more plentiful.

S - [Long] Snapper
    K - Kicker
    P - Punter

They would be required with a numbered player having to report in a case of injury like a tackle eligible play. To avoid any confusion with numbers like 5 or 6, perhaps place these special teams only player letters in a box.

#765 Marshall Bryant, Mar 6, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

raining threes and jch1911 like this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

How would you feel heading into the season with this RB room?

Blake Corum - Draft
    Devin Singletary - FA
    Dameon Pierce - Rookie Contract year 3

Andrew Beck
    Troy Hairson

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Bad. Basically all we did was add Blake Corum? No thanks. If we aren’t gonna swing for the fences let’s at least upgrade a little bit. Go for Swift or something. I don’t like any of the RBs in this draft except maybe a late late flier on a speed guy a la Achane.. but nothing before the 4th. This RB FA class is top tier, the draft class is mid-low tier.. there is no reason at ALL we should just run it back.

jch1911 likes this.
  12. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Would feel much better about a RB room with
    - Saquon Barkley (4 years, $50M) Salaries are 9M, 11M, 13.5M, 16.5M. He never gets full money in 4th year (or maybe even 3rd). Saquon saves face by upping his salary & it puts him among top 4 RB salaries. $20M SB + 1st 2 years guaranteed = $30M guaranteed). Texans can walk in year 3 or 4 + Get back $3.5M in cap space in year 3 or $11.5M in year 4. Sounds like a lot, but cap magic at work.

- Devin Singletary (2 years, $8M). Salaries are 3.75 + 4.25. $4M SB + 1st year guaranteed + PO on year 2. Motor bets on himself while getting pay raise. Motor also gets $5.75M in guaranteed $$$ for his efforts last year and for taking backup role.

- Isaac Gurendo (3rd or 4th round pick) Serves as insurance + breakaway threat + kick returner + future RB?

Trade Pierce for 5th or 6th round pick. Still under contract for 2 years. Plus could be a workhorse in the right system.

I am also ok with AJ Dillon, D'Andre Swift, or JK Dobbins as low budget backs. I could even see acquiring Elijah Mitchell in a trade from SF.

Also OK with Jaylen Wright (TN) or Tyrone Tracy Jr. (Purdue) in the draft.

Keep the FBs.

That's what I would like to see.

raining threes and Shark44 like this.
  13. plee

plee Member

To me it doesn't matter as the OL couldn't open holes for anyone to run through. We had sooo many different OL's in the first half of the season that it was pretty amazing they managed a few wins. The second half they got better as more guys got healthier and it became more consistent. Probably need a FA (Singletary, etc...), don't want to overpay here if the OL is bad again.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Would Corum falling to a 4th round pick make a difference? Would using the $ for Wilkes make a difference? How about extending Nico?

15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Not a huge fan of Corum.

You still have $$$ for Wilkins AND Nico's extension. Can re-work / restructure both tackles. Can move Woods. Lots of ways to get keep space. Also, salary cap will likely be going up each year - that streaming $$$ is lit.

The window is now. Can't wait because you will end up like Buffalo or maybe even Baltimore (recently).

I don't want a good team that is in the playoffs year after year. I want a Super Bowl champ. That requires talent, health / luck (depth), and opportunity. We have opportunity. Let's get talent and be prepared to be healthy / depth..

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Mason was the only one with consistent playing time in his natural position. The experiment with Howard at LG better be over and Fant, if he comes back, is a swing tackle backup. Three positions are golden if healthy.
    LT - Tunsil
    RG - Mason
    RT - Howard
    C and LG are suspect, but if Kenyon Green is healthy, he should be the LG. Center should be good with Scruggs and Patterson. Lately I've been considering a 4th rd selection of Bortolini as a value backup who might thrive if given the opportunity at IOL. Top Athlete, but unrefined.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...combine-record-set-by-jason-kelce/ar-BB1jnJ3s

houstonstime and ApolloRLB like this.
  17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I like what you've laid out here, except I would structure Saquon's contract higher to lower, so that we have more cap space when CJ's increased contract comes due. Something like $15M, $13M, $12M & $10M. Well done!

jch1911 likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd rather just make his contract 22 mil guaranteed, 33 million for 3 years, with no more than 11 million a year.
    Maybe we can get him for 10 million a year. That would be even better. Henry might be willing to take an even cheaper deal. We have lots of other free agents possibilities we might want too. It's a FA shopping spree. Save money. We can find a younger replacement if needed at RB in the draft the next couple years. Surely somebody in this country will rise up to NFL star potential level in college the next couple years. That would save money for CJ.

#778 deb4rockets, Mar 7, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
    raining threes likes this.
  19. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I will say, I’ve been largely against drafting OL. But I like Bortolini. Good combine and we don’t waste an early pick. Getting him in the 4th or 5th is fine. But I would reeeeaaally rather see what Patterson or Kenyon can do with some health. I think Patterson and Juice showed well in their first year, let them man the interior with Mason. Get Howard back to his original position and just watch.

everyon fine with keeping singletary, did you notice that all our backs sucked until like halfway through the year? Then singletary “just found holes better”??? No, the hole showed up finally as the line started to gel. Get more of that and add in a better back and see what happens. Please, just one more year of this OL while we fill other holes and then let’s talk.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member