1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

My observation here is that there is zero reason for Russia to be messing with Ukraine. We should continue to stand by their side. Can’t get tired. Putin is waiting on that.

Nook, basso and dobro1229 like this.
  3. HTM

HTM Member

It's interesting to watch Ukrainian drones decimate the Russian navy. Makes me think about the U.S. Navy and it's potential vulnerabilities moving forward.

Very, very expensive warships can be sent to the bottom by relatively cheap and mass produced drones. It's got to be a big concern. Obviously U.S. carriers will operate in task forces and have all kinds of advanced defenses but maybe those defenses could be overwhelmed by cheap drones? It's a concern I'm sure.

Nook and DaDakota like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

They have reasons but their reasons are not good, and ONLY would come into play if there is political, and economic desperation on their part.

Japan also had reasons to invade Manchuria. Japan has no natural resources, and mainland China had the ability to cut off their supply chain. However that brutal response to a railroad getting destroyed was a huge part of why WW2 actually started despite what was going on with Germany and Poland.

Likewise Russia has a reason to invade Ukraine to fix their own economy by taking control of both grain shipments to Africa, and controlling the central ports where natural gas is distributed. However that decision comes because modern Russia sucks at producing nearly anything that the world finds valuable and their leadership for decades has had no interest in actually investing in their country. Instead has taken the short road on petro only, and has been more focused on their own oligarchs corrupt interests instead of actually rebuilding an economy that matches the land and population size you have.

The reasons to invade are there, but it's only a reason because Putin and leaders before him failed the Russian people, and chose themselves over their countries long term benefit. Instead of actually doing something productive they decide the destroy their neighbor to save themselves.

It's like if I as a father took our family savings, and went to Vegas on a bender, then came home to a family who is starving, made my children rob the neighbors house for food, burn their house down in the process, and only fed myself with the food they found.

Nook likes this.
  5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

your #GhostFleet moment of the day.

6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I mean sure but I always have just thought that he is doing it for ego and to restore the old USSR. we are just saying the same thing, you can always come up with a good reason for anything.

I truly believe that the Russian people will tire of this in the next year or two.

dobro1229 likes this.
  7. dobro1229

Exactly. Having a reason is no excuse for anything. Capone had his reasons. Manson had his reasons.

It’s hard to really understand what is going on in the mind of Russians. But regardless they are victims. Victims of propaganda who are brainwashed to go along with it, or unwilling victims who have no choice or voice in the matter of their lives or freedoms.

FranchiseBlade and rocketsjudoka like this.
  8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is why even though I support Ukraine I don’t celebrate the deaths of Russian soldiers or say things like “Death to Russia!” And especially take no pleasure in seeing Russian civilians killed in drone or artillery strikes into Russia.

dobro1229 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. dobro1229

Yep. The best analogy I can think of is me as a father spending our family life savings on a bender in Vegas, then coming home, making my starving children break into the house next door to steal their livelihood, burning down their house in the process, and the eating the food my kids stole.

Are my kids guilty in that situation and deserve punishment??… Maybe a little but more than anything they are victims even though slightly less of victims than the Neigbors next door.

11. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It was never worthwhile for Ukraine to serve as a proxy for American neo-cons to bleed Russian under the misguided theory of continued world domination by the US. Fact is we no longer have a GDP exceeding the rest of the world as we did after WW II so it is. a fools errand to keep trying to dominate.and start using more of our resources to take care of things at home.

#15551 glynch, Mar 6, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    Space Ghost likes this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I compare it to the situation in Gaza. While Hamas won a democratic election there hasn’t been an election there since 2004. At the same Gaza has been both under an economic blockade with movement in and out greatly restricted while Hamas also uses fear and violence to suppress resistance to their rule. The argument that all Gazans are complicit in the actions of Hamas and basically deserve being bombed and starved is highly questionable. If anything civilians in Gaza are at some level hostages themselves. Even before the recent battle It is very difficult for them to leave Gaza. It’s impossible now. And they risk death to openly oppose Hamas.

So yes I absolutely agree that what Hamas did on October 7th is an atrocity. I think them continuing to hold Israeli hostages is a crime and that they are a death cult who cares more about killing Israelis than the lives of Palestinians. That doesn’t mean that I celebrate the deaths of Palestinians or cheer on the IDF as they drop bombs on civilians.

Russians soldiers aren’t in the same situation as Gazans and while Russia is an authoritarian state they aren’t as trapped. Even so as we see with Nalvany you’re risking your life to openly oppose Putin and most of the soldiers fighting are conscripts who in time of war can be shot for not obeying orders. Many of them have been fed propaganda and/or are from poor parts of Russia. The one person to blame is Putin who chose to invade Ukraine and continues to press the invasion.

Nook and dobro1229 like this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This still has to be repeated.

Putin invade Ukraine. He invade Ukraine already back in 2014.

This could all end with Putin withdrawing his forces.

Nook, DaDakota and dobro1229 like this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The US or NATO did not force Putin to
    Invade. In fact there was talk of Russia joining NATO 20 years ago. Besides that there were many other diplomatic overtures for Russia to enter into mutual security agreements with the US and Europe. Up until the invasion Macron was working furiously to try to work out a deal.

Russia in February of 2022 was stronger militarily and economically. They could’ve forced concessions out of Europe and Ukraine using things like natural gas. Instead Putin blew it all in invading Ukraine.

It was his choice not that NaTO, US, Neocons, The Illuminati, WHO, or any other cabal that forces him too.

Nook, Andre0087 and dobro1229 like this.
  15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Remember folks, when a war criminal and his gang invade you and rape your family and try to erase your country - according to this piece of **** above (and Trump and the GOP) - it's "continued world domination by the US" if you try to resist.

So remember that when the Wagner group mercenaries blow up your apartment building after stealing your washing machine ,

Embarrassment of a poster, embarrassment of a post.

Get your tired ass to a MAGA rally and go back to streaming Tucker Carlson.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Who cares? Let Putin have Ukraine.
    Let him have all of Europe.

If Europe is too incompetent to stop Russia, then perhaps they need better leadership.

Russia is not that powerful.

18. Nook

Nook Member

They have technology to limit this --- in the water, they cannot just drive up to the US top level boats.... and the same in the air.

Where drones and IED's can do a lot of damage is when the USA attempts to enter or invade another nation on the ground, especially in an urban environment.

In Iraq, the insurgents were TERRIBLE at hand-to-hand combat and close quarter fighting. This isn't something that the Marines or US military discuss, because they don't want close quarter fighting because of potential expose to infantry and Marines...... what the insurgents did well was IED's and snipping US marines and infantry.... I would say like 80% of casualties were from drone controlled IED's, normal IED's and the snipers.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

To be clear, are you saying the US should abandon NATO?

20. Nook

Nook Member

Many of those that die in war are women and children - and then the soldiers are often under 25 years old and don't know their head from their ass.

The USA for example is aware of this - and usually will not send the 18-21 year olds into the really nasty war areas..... we will send the 22-28 year olds because they can handle the trauma and compartmentalize it better..... but by 32? No, perspective and experience emerges and most people in combat question why they are actually there.

As for Russia - a lot of this is just bravado. They culturally believe strongly in machismo psychology..... which is why we see women in Russian propaganda saying if all her sons are killed in war, she will have more sons.... or why young men will make absolute statements and seem very gung ho for war.