1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 18, 2024.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I haven't seen him play yet but I read scouting reports that say he doesn't have the arm to play the left side of infield. How does that play in RF?

Right now 3B and RF are the 2 positions I worry about if there is a bad injury. What I have read makes him a poor fit for those 2 positions which lessens his chances in 2024.

For the last year+ I have viewed Loperfido as a multiple position guy who can start for large patches of the year at 1 position where there is a hole, like Marwin did but 1B, 2B, LF, CF.

For 2025-2030 I expect to see his name listed below the 9 starters on the Baseball Reference page even though he will be 7th or 8th in PAs.

In the 110 OPS+/wRC+ range and 1.5-2 WAR.

raining threes and CisBuds4U like this.
  2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

So ceiling of super utility player ?

3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm asking not saying.

But if that is who he is, those guys win teams championships

Zen Tabak and CisBuds4U like this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am very high on Loperfido. His ceiling is that of a really good player. I don’t think he’s going to be a star; he doesn’t have the power of someone like Bellinger. But a Michael Conforto level 3-4 fwar player is within his ceiling. Most likely he will end up as less than that, but I’m really confident that he will have a relatively long MLB future as at least a good lefty bench bat with athleticism. He probably isn’t a long term CF, but he will be fine in LF, RF, and 1B, and can serve as a backup option at 2B and CF. He has an average arm but his speed/range makes him playable in RF.

raining threes and CisBuds4U like this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Trying to figure if there’s any way Snell or Montgomery make any sense for the Astros given their unique situation of having 8 solid SP but 2 of those currently out for months and 2 more currently dealing with minor injuries (along with Framber’s uncertainty).

Right now there’s a big dropoff in expected payroll after 2025. I don’t think 1 year deals (or deals with perennial opt-puts) make much sense for Houston, but if Crane is just trying to capitalize on the current window, maybe a front loaded 4-5 year deal with an opt out after years 2, 3, and 4 makes some sense. It means Crane paying a shitload of tax this season and next, but it keeps the medium and long term books relatively clean.

Something like $140M over 5 years, with the breakdown as:
    2024 $40M
    2025 $40M
    2026-2028 $18M/yr plus $2M/yr innings incentives

That still probably doesn’t make much sense, but if Crane’s game for it then I wouldn’t consider it a bad deal.

#425 Snake Diggit, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Didn't Dana Brown just say yesterday that they are no longer considering bringing in pitching?

I saw a story on mlbtraderumors but just skimmed it.

If that's the case: press conference tomorrow to announce the Montgomery signing.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Dana Brown has pretty much proven that nothing he says can be taken with any certainty. He often talks in word salad and contradicts things he recently said.

BlindHog, Nook, Fiah and 5 others like this.
  8. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Yup and in the same interview, he said but I would love to have a player like Snell on the team.

Fiah and raining threes like this.
  9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Everyday guy at a corner if he maximizes imo. Just below star. Chas production wise.

CisBuds4U likes this.
  10. the shark

the shark Member

^^^THIS^^^

Brown will say anything. He talks out of his ass quite a bit.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

We're at the point now where even the press doesn't expect any comment from a GM or coach to carry much weight.... and with everything being tracked on social media, those in the front office who give interviews are going to be fairly non-specific (or in Brown's case.... word salad) to the point where they may both confirm and deny and re-confirm in the same sound-byte a certain intention.

But everybody here was equally upset when Luhnow would keep everything fairly close to the vest (including avoiding discussion of stuff that had already been leaked... by whom?) and wouldn't say anything of note (especially after the press was trying to hammer them every single chance they could get... and things went totally silent with clubhouse bans, etc.).

raining threes likes this.
  12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

If he can't get Tucker, or Bregman to sign, he may start thinking about his next pit stop.

raining threes likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Dana Brown’s tenure will be defined by the 2023, 2024, 2025, and (maybe) 2026 drafts and international signing periods. He was hired to identify and develop cheap star-level talent. Crane is going to lead all meaningful free agency, extension, and trade deadline activity.

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

LOL! Is your name Jim Crane? That's the only guy whose opinion matters on Astros Matters of this nature.

Pringles and punkoholic like this.
  15. Pringles

Pringles Member

I don't mind Brown speaking out of his ass. Hell, Morey has done that to us and players (see CP3) for years - we have been conditioned as fans.

16. raining threes

I like what I've read about him.

If somebody goes down he should be the first callup.

17. AWIN

AWIN Member

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Is this for a visit or is he going to have a job?

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He said he was going to stay involved but not full-time. More of a consultant like Bags used to be before he took a more active role.

ryan_98 and Marshall Bryant like this.
  20. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Isn't it kind of early in Spring Training to roll out the entire starting lineup? :eek:

raining threes, ryan_98 and htownrox1 like this.