1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 18, 2024.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

ryan_98 likes this.
  2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Meyers hitting like he’s got something to prove

IBTL, Stephen66, Madmanmetz and 2 others like this.
  3. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That's because he DOES.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

In 13 plate appearances, Meyers has 4 hits, 4 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Obviously he is just hot and it's spring training, but the presence and confidence at plate is something that spills over to the regular season. I'm good with him being a 2023 Dubon with more power. We don't need him to be an all star.

5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Not sure I would want Loperfido sitting on the bench most of the time. I'd rather him get the plate appearances in AAA.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Definitely a consideration. He could get 350 pa pretty easily just backing up CF, RF, and 1B, assuming all the starters stay healthy.

BlindHog and raining threes like this.
  7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

If meyers doesn’t hit RHP he could be meyers full time platoon partner and he could still back up positions at OF and 2B/1B and get 450 PA’s. That’s aggressive but possible. I had him as my candidate to make the team if something off the radar happened and a starting spot opened up similar to Arreghetti pitching wise. If not I think they went both those guys to get serious AAA reps with the idea they play a lot there this year and maybe get their feet wet at the end of this year before being a pretty big part of the plan going forward.

raining threes likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Last April, over 19 PAs, Meyers went 8-17 with a BB and 3K ;)

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Last year on August 7th after team game #113 Meyers had a wRC+ of 99 (Dubon was 78) which is over 2/3 of the way through the season.

He had a terrible last 50 games of the season which can't be ignored, but the first 2/3 gives plenty of hope for 2024.

And a wRC+ of 99 makes Meyers a very valuable CF.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Astros had a total of 6253 PAs last season.

If Altuve, Abreu, Bregman, Pena, Chas, Tucker, and Yordan average 600, Diaz and Caratini total 800, and Dubon and Meyers total 800 that still leaves over 450 PAs for someone else.

11. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

You listed 11 players. So that means 450 PAs split between 2 guys.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I also listed 7 players who would average 600 PAs. The Astros had exactly 3 players w/ 600 PAs last year and haven't had more than 3 since 2009.

There are plenty of PAs for Loperfido if the team wants him on the roster.

13. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Add a bunch of appearances at DH and maybe a few at 3rd and you got yerself a versatile bench man with a good bat that plays more often than not.

14. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

You never know what might happen. Dubon looked awful last Spring Training. He was hitting 12 ft pop ups in the infield off of Miami scrubs when I saw him. He looked so lost and weak at tge plate. Then Altuve goes down and some way Dubon came out of the gate slapping basehits everyday.

Spring training is a way to get a look and numbers mean very little. Personally I think Meyers could have a solid season if he is healthy. They plan to give him the ABs come April. Lets hope he is another cheap guy that punches way above his rate.

Dubon can be super utility and give the older studs a day off regularly so they are fresh come October. Even Pena if he isn't locked in.

The Beard and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. rockbox

Whitcomb is having a heck of a spring training. Any chance he is good enough to back up Bregman? Looks like he had the same issues as all of our prospects. He strikes out a lot.

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I sure hope so. Would be nice to see it from him on a consistent basis.

raining threes and Tomstro like this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He wouldn’t be a bad option but with his power and speed he has a little higher ceiling so I’d rather him be in AAA to see if he can develop a little
    more and improve his defense and maybe cut down a little on the strikeouts. He doesn’t really project to be better than Kessinger.

BlindHog and rockbox like this.
  18. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

ST stats are a notoriously poor predictor of in-season performance. For every JD Martinez there’s 20 guys who look amazing and later flop in the regular season. Especially early on, there’s a lot of minor leaguers and NRI’s getting playing time. The regular starters are also nowhere near regular season ready.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. rockbox

Of course I know that which is why I asked. He looks like a decent prospect especially since he can play shortstop also. If Bregman doesn't sign an extension, we need someone that can replace some of his production.

Whitcomb has shown he can sell out for power with his 35 homeruns, so he has a decent ceiling. He just needs to cut down on the strikeouts like everyone else. He hasn't struck out like Cabbage and Kessinger this spring training which is a decent indicator of his approach.

#419 rockbox, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  20. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

So what do people think of Loperfido? Will he stick in the outfield or go to 1B? Does he have the upside to be our future RF or 1B? Not saying he has to be a Tucker or Abreu, but … should I be excited ?