1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unofficial Official Offseason Thread (2024)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tuckmose, Jan 20, 2024.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

•What I’m hearing is the Texans are having discussions with kicker Ka’imi Fairbairn’s representation about a new contract. The two sides have not reached a number that suits both. Fairbairn, 30, was the ninth highest-paid kicker in the NFL in 2023 under a contract averaging $4.4 million per year. But over the past two seasons, he’s been one of the league's most accurate kickers, making 56 of 59 field-goal attempts (94.9 percent). In 2023, he ranked second in the league in field-goal percentage. For that reason, Fairbairn is likely looking at top-five money. Ravens kicker Justin Tucker is the highest-paid kicker at $6 million per year. The only knock against Fairbairn has been his health. He missed five games this past season with a quad injury. Still, Fairbairn will be a hot commodity for teams looking for a kicker. The Jets, Vikings, Broncos and Chargers are among them.

•I’m also hearing that Cameron Johnston is apparently headed for free agency. The Texans sent their special-teams staff to the combine to scout punters. Johnston, 32, was the NFL's 10th highest-paid punter at $2.6 million. Despite missing the first four games of last season, he was second in the league with 37 punts inside the 20, only two behind the Panthers' Johnny Hekker. The Texans might look to go younger there if they can’t get a deal done.

•I’ve reported this already, but the Texans continue to have discussions with Jonathan Greenard, who is represented by Drew Rosenhaus. Some around the league believe Greenard could command more than $20 million in the free-agent market. There’s an option to give Greenard the franchise tag. The deadline to do so is 3 p.m. Tuesday, but Caserio didn’t sound like the Texans would. The franchise tag for defensive ends is $21.6 million, which is where negotiations would begin if the Texans continue to pursue him.

•With Ryans having said he wants to put resources in the defensive line, I have been told the Texans are thinking big. They want an upgrade at defensive tackle, and though names weren't named, possible upgrades include Christian Wilkins, D.J. Reader and even Chris Jones, who will cost a fortune.

•Two sources seemed optimistic that the Texans could get a deal done with Schultz, who signed with Houston as a free agent last offseason. Schultz wants to return to play with Stroud. The Texans got him on an inexpensive deal last offseason at $6.25 million after he was franchise tagged by Dallas in 2022. But he understandably wants to be paid among the top 10 tight ends, which is above $11 million per year.

•I reported last month that Galveston native and longtime Bucs wide receiver Mike Evans was expected to command somewhere between $25 million and $30 million on the open market and that the Texans were not expected to pursue him. Nothing has changed on that front. Though it appears Evans is headed for free agency, as some reports indicated Saturday morning, the Texans are more likely to sign a cheaper wideout option and try to get an extension done with Nico Collins in April or May. Collins is also represented by Rosenhaus. The Texans believe Collins is a big part of their future, and he should get big-time money after his performance last season, when he was one of the best receivers in the NFL.

•The Texans have said they want to improve their running game. A player I wouldn’t rule out is Saquon Barkley. I've been told it’s up to the Texans to make something happen. But Barkley seems open to the possibility of leaving New York if the right team comes calling. It could also be Barkley playing hardball with the Giants. Barkley recently followed C.J. Stroud, Tank Dell, Nico Collins and others on social media and liked a tweet by rapper Paul Wall making a pitch for him to come to Houston. Of course, the Giants might not let him go.

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Damn that slimeball Drew Rosenhaus is still around?

raining threes likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

"Old agents never die...they just slide away"

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.click2houston.com/sport...chultz-devin-singletary-blake-cashman-others/

•Because rushers are such a premium position and Greenard has emerged as one of the top free agents, he’s expected to command anywhere between $17 million and $22 million annually, if not even a few million dollars above that high-end projection, on the open market. Should Greenard ultimately leave in free agency, which many around the league expect to happen because of what he could receive from other teams as a free agent, San Francisco 49ers defensive end Chase Young is among the possible replacement options that league sources were talking about at the NFL scouting combine as a good option for the Texans.

•The Texans and defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins, who recorded six sacks last season, have mutual interest, per sources, in working out a new deal with nothing imminent at this time

•The Texans definitely want to bring back running back Devin “Motor” Singletary and the interest is mutual, per sources. The Texans love his consistency, energy and how he reads the holes to maximize yardage. The Texans are expected to explore scenarios where they sign more than one running back, per sources, perhaps rather than spend money on just one free agent runner like New York Giants star Saquon Barkley, who has made the AFC South champions his top potential destination and has been communicating with quarterback C.J. Stroud, per league sources. That could involve signing Singletary along with another free agent, perhaps the Philadelphia Eagles’ D’Andre Swift or the Dallas Cowboys’ Tony Pollard, all depending on price, per sources. Having two viable running backs is an option the Texans strongly desire after former starter Dameon Pierce regressed in his second NFL season after being named a Pro Bowl alternate as a rookie two years ago.

•The Texans and tight end Dalton Schultz want to keep working together and sources emphasized that at the combine as a scenario expected to unfold. “Schultz will be back with the Texans,” a league source predicted.

•Steven Nelson is expected to have a good market. It’s unclear if the Texans and Nelson will agree on terms, but there is mutual interest in continuing their business relationship now that his contract has expired, per league sources.

•The Texans are having discussions with linebacker and defensive signal caller Blake Cashman, their leading tackler last season, per sources, with no deal regarded as imminent.

•The Texans are in active contract discussions with kicker Ka’imi Fairbairn, who has led the NFL in field goal percentage over the past two seasons, per sources. There is optimism that a deal could ultimately happen, per sources.

•Punter Cameron Johnston, who set a record for the longest punt in franchise history, is a free agent the Texans would like to retain with his three-year, $8 million contract expiring, but they’re also evaluating several college punters at the combine, including Texas Tech standout Austin McNamara, and keeping their options open, as is Johnston.

•The Texans plan to allocate some of their salary-cap space and financial commitments toward the future, including an expressed goal mutually shared to extend wide receiver Nico Collins.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Hard pass on Chase Young. He is very selective about playing hard. IMO, he would instantly become the most frustrating player on the team for fans.

percicles, Fulgore and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Sounds like Josh Allen (jags) might hit the market.

7. Bob Barker 007

Showing interest in all our guys could be a chess move to dampen interest in them around the league knowing it would be attractive for them to stay in Houston. It could also allow the Texans to operate under the radar when talking to other free agents at these positions. My fear is that the Texans are showing so much interest because they’re endowing too much value on the guys they have and not thinking they can do better in free agency, which I would say is false.

raining threes and houstonstime like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Now THAT would be interesting. I know nothing of his $ demands or anything.

9. percicles

I forgot who but one of our local podcasters did a thing on him and they weren’t sure he would fit. They said a large chunk of his sacks came on blitz’s and Demeco doesn’t blitz. So they’re not sure if or how he would fit our defensive scheme.

Fulgore likes this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Or possibly they can do better with some of the guys who we played with last year rather than assume the grass is greener elsewhere. It could be true and not bad thinking.

11. CrazyJoeDavola

I'm confident the OL will have at least 1-2 new starters that aren't currently on the roster.

12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Would be disappointing..

cbass and red5rocket like this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If we have the talent, we might see changes to the blitz risk.

In he back of my mind, I'm thinking it's a reason he's stressing DL. I'm imagining Sweat taking on 2 OL AND maintaining gap to free up a LB/CB blitzer to go along with his edge DUDES.

Barring something unforeseen, I'm expecting DL to dome from the Draft. Of course my preference is Chop at the DE/Edge and Sweat at DT added to Area 51 DE/Edge and Maliek Collins DT with Hinish, Horton and Sanders backing up or rotating in. Or perhaps do the opposite and use 3 rushers and drop WAJ into coverage. He was listed as CB in a 3-4 front. There would be lot's of toys to play with if we control the line of scrimmage.

Of course the story overnight is Wilkins possibly NOT getting tagged. That would be a dream move for the DL, but I don't think we'd choose that over shoring up other positions.

#753 Marshall Bryant, Mar 4, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
  14. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

15. percicles

[​IMG]

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've never been a Titans hater like so many were (or still are), but beating them in Nashville with Case at QB while they clowned us by wearing throwback Oilers jerseys was one of the sweetest wins ever. Then it turns out the game was essential for making the playoffs and beating the Browns.

It doesn't get much better than that.

Someone tell Amy Adams the Titans are NOT Houston's team!

BMoney, gatsby, TheRealist137 and 2 others like this.
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I remained loyal until Fisher was let go and the last remaining "Oiler" was gone. Now I am indifferent except for the Adams Family (The one who is NOT funny like this one)

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Trying to get the new terminology for LBs right. The old OLB-MLB or ILB doesn't seem to work.

SAM - LB who covers the SR
    MIKE - The LB in the middle of a 3LB - 4-3 D
    WILL - The LB on the opposite side of the SAM

Hows this?

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sam is just strong side backer, Mike is middle and Will is weak side.
    If it’s nickel then Mike is the the guy on the ball.
    In simplest terms

20. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I thought Sam, Mike and Will were the old terminology. I learned those 25+ years ago. OLB, MLB and ILB seems new to me.