1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Veterans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chenjy9, Feb 29, 2024.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

• Veteran leadership
    • Defensive culture
    • Player development
    • Coach on the court
    • Winning attitude
    • Kale salad!

daywalker02 and Crashlanded19 like this.
  2. WestendMassive

That's a lot of seafood baskets at Bubba Gump Shrimp

Ankara1923 likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I never said Tilman was a smart basketball investor.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  4. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

FVV will never see the 3rd year here, and I doubt Brooks makes 3

Yojimbo, roslolian, rfrocket and 2 others like this.
  5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Extremely disappointed.

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

(a) it is compulsory to spend the money
    (b) there is a need to significantly overpay to get people to a dud team
    (c) our points differential on the year is basically 0. Which means our team is competitive almost every night - not bad from where we were last year
    (d) if we don't improve again next season, threads like this might be warranted - but too soon!!

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol top 20 player and elite all defensive stopper I heard

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Keep trying to tell yourself that

9. lpbman

lpbman Member

Who is a top 20 player? FVV? Oh, you are joking or mocking someone else who said that. I was concerned you had a carbon monoxide leak in your house for a second.

10. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Let's just say that there were reasons why Raptor fans were not unhappy to see him leave last season.

daywalker02 and OnNotice like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Try the search button. You’ll find your answer

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

a) plenty of ways to spend money that don't involve giving out the contracts we did
    b) if we aren't even making the play-in, was it worth it to overpay for the people we paid?
    c) $60M this year to be competitive, at least until we aren't
    d) I will give you this one

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

On your (b) see my (a)

On your (a), who?? Are you aware our contracts are very team favourable? (Down through the other FA signings too)

(c) it may have been your assumption that we would make the playoffs. Realistically 30 wins is a MASSIVE improvement (if we get there??). Plus the fact we are always close indicates a few more changes may produce playoff joy?

Please don't hear me saying things are perfect or that the FO have done a great job. But (with the greatest respect) threads like this one are just as bad, if not worse, than any accusation that might be made against the FO. Sorry, but it is silly to be upset we aren't in the playoffs. Of course we aren't. We sucked to extreme degrees the last 3 years. This year we are approaching average. You can't transform a losing culture in half a minute without clearing the decks. If you want to see if our young guys have learned anything and can succeed, next year will be the proof in the pudding. Not saying I think it is the right path to have chosen, but diaper wrapping threads can't change the past, and don't seem to contribute to the future.

I'm certainly not intending anything to be taken personally!!

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am certain there is a world where you can say 'Hey, we had no real choice of signing bigger names' and still being able to criticize the games of Fred and Dillon who have played worse in recent games.

Splashing the money on more players might have brought fewer wins but it could have avoided the big collapse when injuries happened.

Sure, it is a pick your apple (instead of poison) or orange scenario.

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah - all true, however not related to my points since I never said you can't criticise their games.

To be honest, it is probably about the best we could have done. We aren't failing to win games because if talent, but because of execution from some of our younger guys. And FVV and Dillon still aren't worth their $$!!

theDude likes this.
  16. R=$

R=$ Member

The Org. did the right thing by picking up the free agents they could. Both vets fit Ime's profile. It's a let down to see the free fall currently. Need to bring it new players now to evaluate for next year. It's to bad that the play - in was not even close. It's hard to be optimistic for next year

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Stone and Tilman are on the same wavelength, they both love overpaying mid players then later regretting it and costing us picks to unload their contracts.

18. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

It's a team option.

DVauthrin likes this.
  19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I suppose the Rockets might have to attach a pick to unload Brooks’ contract down the line, but that certainly will not be the case with VanVleet. He’s here next season, and that’s very likely his last season in a Rockets’ uniform considering his third year is a team option.

saleem and Easy like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

And