1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Unofficial Official Offseason Thread (2024)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Tuckmose, Jan 20, 2024.

1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Yes, compared to draft position, he was labeled a bust... but so was Cashman as a 5th ound pick who couldn't stay on the field his first 3 seasons (why Htown was able to get him)

Compare Cashman's 2023 season with Houston to Simmons' 2022 season with AZ (with our brand new LB coach).

I think Meco's attacking D (TWSS) and letting Simmons' focus on LB will do wonders for Simmons' career. Simmons could be our Fred Warner for probably $5 - $7M per season while Cashman is trying to cash in (I ain't mad) at $8 - $10M.

Meco got Cashman paid.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

They feel we don’t need to reach in rd1 for a need position if we fill DB, LB, and DL. They like the Norte Dame RB in the 2nd round in our Zone Scheme offense.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

5. Mattician

Mattician Member

The Texans are in the best position they've ever been right now.

2023 will potentially go down as the best year in terms of setting up the Texans for success.

These grades don't matter.

The city of Houston and Texans fans will know best and not the NFLPA.

6. Qan

Qan Member

I'm offended that DeMeco is not a solid A+....

rusHour and cbass like this.
  7. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Wright = UT alum (good UT DL prospects this year)

Ollie coached Barnett in Philly +Fletcher Cox (as well as Hassan Ridgeway).... Ridgeway was a UT guy as well IIRC.

Ollie worked with Rankins & Huff with the Jets as well as Grover Stewart + Tyquan Lewis (& McTelvin Agim) with Clots in 2021 & 2022.

Texans IDL / Edge 2024
    IDL (4 or 5) - Rankins (re-signed) + Grover Stewart (signed FA) + Maleik Collins + Khalil Davis (RFA) + Byron Murphy (draft)

Edge (4 or 5) - WAJ + Tyquan Lewis (signed FA) + Barnett (re-signed) + Myjai Sanders (worked with current DC + new LB coach) + Dylan Horton + Ali Gaye

;) Just speculating like a mugg...

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Alief stand up

SirRocket, Cstyle42 and jch1911 like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

This sounds like Casserio wants to save cap space for the year after next and target that year to go "all in"

11. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I kinda got that vibe too. At a quick glance:
    RB has no one of note, Joe mixon and Chubb.
    WR we lose Nico? But lamb, Jefferson, couple other big names.
    Defense is loaded with FA, Mack, Donald, seems like quite a few big names, but who knows.. so much can change in a year. I don’t like the idea of punting a year of Rookie-deal CJ and WAJ, especially when the cap is gonna go up again..

one big name on offense, one on defense, fill out the rest with draft and what you can in FA.

tc0330, raining threes and Wattafan like this.
  12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's a survey of players, many of whom will be free agents and potentially choosing a new team. So, yeah.... these are rather important grades.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

15. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Man, with two FA studs and a good smart draft this upcoming season might be the one I'm most excited about since we drafted Earl Campbell.

I don't know if I'm allowed to own the Earl Campbell memory or is it now intellectual property of the Titans?????????

16. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

It all comes down to the battles in the trenches.
    Our Oline should be better this year and so should the Dline.

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm a Clemson and 49ers fan who's watched Isaiah Simmons grow up into a physical monster. While he is an unbelievably freakish athlete, he is nowhere close to being the player, leader and thinker Fred Warner is. Hate to say this, but at the NFL level, Isaiah is nothing more than an attack dog you train for simple tasks. The grey matter between his ears is his limitation.

raining threes and jch1911 like this.
  18. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Have a current student who is a HUGE Clemson fan as well... I asked him yesterday what happened with Simmons and the NFL, he said pretty much the same.

That being said, if ANYBODY could put what it takes into Simmons' head, I think it would be Cap Meco! Cashman had similar issues IIRC when he was in NY - besides always being out / injured.

Side note - I too grew up a 49ers fan. 1977 - 2005ish. [Looks around carefully] I was a 49ers fan and NOT really an Oilers fan [ducks]. It was the Rashuan Woods pick & choosing Alex Smith over Aaron Rogers that really did it for me. I used to rock a Texans' jersey with my 94 49ers championship hat. Plus there was a new team in Htown and I really liked the moves they were making from a business perspective. But the Hair QB over Julius Peppers still burns me up.

19. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

No RBs in the first two rounds.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

LOL...but the fans know better!