1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rafael Stone the HEDGE GOD! Why Stone has done a great job rebuilding the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Blame Stone for the poor coaching, poor shooting, poor rotations, poor preparation, poor execution, poor effort, poor everything! Im waiting for the MENSA members to spout off that he should have traded down in his drafts using that God level hindsight!

[​IMG]

2. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Well Stone put together this roster. And he hired Ime. So if the coaching, shooting, rotations, preparation,execution, effort, everything are bad, there's no one else to blame. I mean didn't he hire Ime, who obviously can't coach?

Easy, BallSoHarden, MadMax and 4 others like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its all recency bias. One day you guys laud players like Cam and Amen. Next day you cry that the team is poorly assembled. Arguing with hindsight doesnt prove or disprove anything other than this team is too wet behind the ears and doesnt have the game changing talent we thought we had. Bring in a James Harden level talent and watch how "good" the coach and GM become. Its literally not rocket science.

4. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I still love Cam and Amen. Love Sengun too. But the lack of shooting and refusing to add anything at the DL is squarely on your boy Stone. We could have added more quality guard depth. Could have gone after Derrick White for example. But Stone stuck with KPJ. Stone cannot continue to duck any responsibility. If Ime, Tilman, Sengun etc can face criticism then the architect of this " rebuild" should too.

Crashlanded19 and Verbal Christ like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

For what? A 1st round ass blast or embarrassment in the play in? To pacify fans? If everyone was being honest with themselves this rebuild is on time. You want to blame Stone for being stationary while picking up Steven Adams and letting everyone know that the vision extends beyond this year is a choice, but it just demonstrates the fickle nature of this fanbase. Derrick White? The guy who is playing a vital role on the front running Celtics? Cmon man.

You want the guy to turn water into wine, but it all boils down to the players. None of the players we have are difference makers. The edict was to tank - we did that and the sad reality is that the approach backfires when the players bust. Thats the nature of the draft. When he lands a true star using all the ammunition he's accumulated we can then pivot to clowning whoever that star is because thats what we do here.

roslolian, Patience and BaselineFade like this.
  6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I meant Derrick White when he was still with the Spurs btw. My point was that there were plenty of quality guards to be had over the last 5 years. But I won't pile on lol. I see that you are being called out in other threads lol.
    Just having fun with you.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

It’s your own fault if you changed your expectations throughout the season. Seems like we are where we are supposed to be.

Patience and Verbal Christ like this.
  8. vince

vince Member

Well it’s obvious that veteran leadership is critical to the success of a team. And the Rockets are fixated on the all-world prospects that happen to be 21 years old and under right now.

I still remember how upset I was after the Rockets traded the draft right of Rudy Gay for Shane Battier. But Battier with his savvy and intangibles was well worth the trade. And I’d want the Rockets to do it all over again. Shane knew his role, and he excelled in it!

The Rockets brought in Fred VanVleet and Brooks to be veteran leaders, but the team is infused with just too many young prospects trying to find their niche in the NBA. Even those two veterans can’t establish the culture, especially when they themselves have to struggle with their own funks. Some prospects have sky high potential and you will never truly know unless they are given every chance to find out. But when you have 6 or 8 guys like that in a team, it’s a total crap shoot.

Teams need to be at least 50% proven veterans who have/and know their fixed roles.

The current Rockets are built around a lot of guys that are still trying to carve out their own niche. And I would not blame any of the youngsters thinking they are the next all star, since we here on Clutch fans have thought of each of the 6 prospects as potential all stars too at certain points.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Ok thats fair. With that logic I wish the team would have tried to land Donovan Mitchell when he became available, but it is what it is. Dont worry about piling on you seem to have a great grasp on how to discuss things like an adult. It beats the finger pointing and excuse making from the reality deniers.

dmoneybangbang and BaselineFade like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Shane would have been semi useless if we did not have Tracy and Yao and Scola and Ron Artest......

Instead we would have David Wesley/Mike James/Sura - Brent Barry/Courtney Lee - Shane Battier - Stromile Swift - Chuck Hayes level of Offense.

vince likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Rocket River
    Bingo!!

kubli9 likes this.
  12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If you’re right…and he drafted busts…then he won’t be employed here very long. The very quickest way to lose your job as a pro sports GM is to draft busts. Particularly when the team tanked to be in position to draft those guys.

At some point, the buck stops with him. Hate the coaching? Guess who hired the coach. Hate the players? Guess who drafted and brought in those players. That’s the nature of that job, whether it’s fair or not.

Easy and kubli9 like this.
  13. R=$

R=$ Member

Hope Ime has a heavy hand in the make up of our roster next year. I'm looking for him to be the next Pop 2.0.

MadMax likes this.
  14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Should've drafted Mobley v Green

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Derrick White who was their 3rd untouchable on the Celtics team? Lmao what a joke!

As for adding someone in the DL it doesn't matter. Play in appearance just to get swept by the Wolves?

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

He didn't draft busts though he potentially drafted 1 bust and 3 other scrubs with low picks.

The rest are bangers but too young RN. Sengun, Jabari, Tari, Amen and Cam are gonna keep Stone employed.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I sincerely hope you’re right and Stone desperately hopes that too

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

He also drafted Sengun, Jabaris, Amen, Tari and cam whitmore who I think are good.

MadMax likes this.
  19. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Derrick White when he was with the Spurs dude. He could have been had if we had aggressively gone after him. He went for Josh Richardson, Romeo Langford, a 2022 1st and a 2028 swap.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hedge god. Thanks for the chuckle.

kubli9 likes this.