1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which one is you?

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

OPEN x Catch % - (Fumbles x 10)

3. Qan

Qan Member

DeMeco seems perfunctory with statements concerning Schultz; doesn't seem like they'll try too hard to retain him. If they did, they would've done it weeks ago before his void years expired instead of taking a $3.4mil cap hit. Time to focus on another TE.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Separation can be achieved several ways, but speed is usually called over the top and acceleration/deceleration is usually called quickness. Harrison, Jr has both with size which is why he is generational. Dell is close without the size. I honestly don't believe he's as slow as his 40 time because he plays faster.

Speed

Xavier Legette WR South Carolina
    Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 227 lbs | RAS: N/A
    Calling Xavier Legette a late-bloomer seems like an understatement. Legette wasn't on anyone's radar in the NFL Draft world aside from his explosive kick return potential. The 6'3", 227-pound receiver is a height/weight/speed anomaly who will receive more than a few DK Metcalf comps during the draft process. He's unbelievably explosive. In fact, he'll likely be one of the fastest player at the draft, even at nearly 230 pounds. And he doesn't turn like a cruise ship as a route runner, either. But his most impressive attribute is his high-point ability and vice grip hands in contested and aerial situations. Dalton Miller 12/2/2023

Devontez Walker WR North Carolina
    Height: 6 - 3 | Weight: 192 lbs | RAS: N/A
    Walker has an elite three-trait foundation that elevates his grade: His speed, explosiveness, and high-level catching instincts on the vertical plane, to go along with excellent size at 6’2 1/2″ and 200 pounds. Once clocked at over 23 miles per hour in a game by Recruiting Analytics, there’s no disputing Walker’s long speed. When he has a runway, he can effortlessly stack defenders on the boundary and gain space. And once he has that space to control leverage, Walker’s incredibly effective at keeping the DB where he wants him and adjusting to the ball. -Ian Cummings 11/18/23

Quickness

Troy Franklin WR Oregon
    Height: 6 - 2 | Weight: 179 lbs | RAS: N/A
    A speedy receiver who can split time as an outside receiver or a slot threat, Franklin projects favorably to other thin but fast playmakers who have been taken on Day 2 in recent drafts. At 6'2" and 170 pounds, Franklin easily creates separation on his routes and is dangerous after the catch. An offense that can isolate him one on one, especially over the middle of the field, will produce explosive plays. Franklin also has good body control and the ability to bring in difficult catches. He's far from a soft player despite being so light. Of course, his lack of bulk is a concern and limits his overall upside, but Franklin should be a great addition to more spread offenses. - Ian Valentino

Jamari Thrash WR Louisville
    Height: 6 - 1 | Weight: 185 lbs | RAS: N/A
    Thrash will be an older prospect, and he’s not an elite size or speed threat — though he does have enough speed to threaten vertically. But the majority of Thrash’s appeal will come from his route-running ability. He’s one of the best separators in the 2024 class. Aptly named, he thrashes defensive backs on a weekly basis, with his combined route-running building blocks and nuance as a separator. Thrash has high-level hip sink, throttle control, agility and twitch, and angle freedom, and he weaponizes those tools with his football IQ, blind spot awareness, and intentional leans and head fakes. -Ian Cummings 12/16/23

Jacob Cowing WR Arizona
    Height: 5 - 11 | Weight: 170 lbs | RAS: N/A
    A dangerous slot receiver who is one of the quickest players in the nation, Cowing easily creates separation. He's comfortable running a variety of routes both inside and out, fitting the modern NFL game nicely. Cowing has the speed and ability to create after the catch to be much better than most small, thin receivers who haven't worked out in the league. It's easy to see Cowing being successful at the next level because he wins so easily against man coverage. His overall athletic upside isn't as dynamic as some of his peers, but he has a solid Day 2 grade as a quality role player. - Ian Valentino

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I love Buck’s Snarky remarks. This board really needs to lighten up.

astros123 and mikol13 like this.
  6. Qan

Qan Member

Dell has amazing footwork, and he seems faster on the field because he creates that separation. If he was over 6ft, he could be one if the top receivers in the league...I think he can still become one of the top producing receivers in the league.

I'm high on Franklin if he's there in the 2nd round (I doubt it) or McConkey. If Texans go defense in first 2 rounds, then a WR in the 3rd like a Walker, Wilson, or Cowing.

Fulgore likes this.
  7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Love Walker. Reminds me a lot of George Pickens. Will be a steal

UTSA2step likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Smells like Bigfoot's dick

cmoak1982 and Kemahkeith like this.
  9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Keep them snarky and all is OK. But don't get personal and vindictive. Just step away from the thread when it starts to get there.

UTSA2step likes this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

There are several WRs at the top of the 2nd, so hoping/letting one fall to 59 without expending draft capital would be a typical play. However; if on stands out on the Texans board, we could do a patented Caserio move up for our guy. I'm intrigued with moving down from 23 if we get two 2s and a future like has happened in the simulator. It is possible to add a pick and a draft choice by expending a FA contract.

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Which TEs currently on the market are better than Shultz though?

12. Buck Turgidson

The blonde.

13. Qan

Qan Member

He is the top FA TE, but maybe to the Texans he doesn't do enough of what they want and/or the value isn't there with how much he'll cost. I'm just saying, it doesn't seem like they plan to resign Schultz.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Caserio rarely lets the cat out of the bag, so speculation is probably just that with little to no knowledge of the situation. It might be totally true, totally false or in between. But I doubt the information comes from those who know.

16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'd be more than OK with this. Schultz is a JAG. He's fine and if he wants to sign a very team-friendly deal, cool. But, otherwise, that is a position they could absolutely stand to upgrade.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Or, on the flip side, maybe they liked what they saw in Jordan, and will draft one in the mid rounds?

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Sure? I have no idea what they're thinking. Jordan has made a minimal impact in 3 seasons and couldn't bump Schultz - so that would surprise me if they think that much of him.

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I was essentially agreeing with you, in the sense that I wouldn't pay too dollar for Schultz. If have him back, easy, but not for a ton of money.