1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Udoka vs Silas, did Stone make a right replacement?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by corrado, Feb 28, 2024.

?

Do you think Udoka is the right coach to remake Rockets into contenders?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. corrado

corrado Member

By the end of Silas stint here I think we universally hated the guy. Just a weak dude that got walked over by Stone, players, not cut out to be a head coach.

We got our dream guy to replace him. The disciplinarian, defensive mastermind, with a stature big enough to stand up to Stone and even reject the services of our former hero James. It all seemed great during the honeymoon, we were blowing teams off the court, playing great defense, looked like we might make the playoffs.

But it all lasted like maybe two months and since then we are 12-36 which would give us about 27 wins if we extend that to a full season. That is whooping 5 games better than what Silas's team last season. It is hard to count it as an improvement when you consider than apart of HC change we also replaced cancer that basically ruined Silas in KPJ with our 40million guy in FVV and KMJ with all defense guy in Dillon who is having uncharacteristically good shooting season. Add in growth we've seen from Bari and Sengun, our decent rookies and it is hard to imagine Silaw would not be able to win at least 27 games with this squad.

I am not saying we should have kept Silas. Dude was never given a fair chance, but he seemed done for a long time. But I think it is fair to start asking if we made a good replacement.When we signed Udoka my only fear was repeat of JVG times. Most of the board I think remembers him fondly, but I remember how much of a difference Adelman made, how suddenly Rockets were fun again to watch. The similarity is also interesting in the way Francis regressed with transition from Rudy to JVG and Jalen from Silas to Udoka. Some argued that JVG made Steve a winning player (where did I hear again) but the net difference in wins between last Rudy season and JVG's first was only 2 wins and you could easily count it as Yao's growth as a player.

I remember when we signed Udoka I heard some voices out of Boston clowning our decision, saying that Udoka really wasn't all that good there and he was only able to turn the team around after Stevens basically rebuilt his playbook after rough start to the season. I kind of discarded those remarks as jaded, but now when we look as hopeless after allstar break as before it, when I hoped some practice only time might result is some improvement in our game plan especially on offence, I start to think there was some truth to it.

So did the Rockets get it right? Udoka is definitely a good defensive coach. This team still plays decent on that end even if some of the main players will never be individually great there and we are playing without shot blocking center as our last line of defense. But I think the goal was not simply get better at defense, but start creating a contender. When was the last time that a team as with as basic offence as ours won a chip? It sounds good when Ime talks about physicality and intensity, but is that approach really the way to maximize our personel? Are the players not responding or is his playbook so limited that opposing coaches completely figured as out after couple of months? He still has a lot of time left to prove himself here, but I have a feeling sooner or later we might need to find another Adelman to truly remake us into contenders.

HardenReturns, Y2JT and Bo6 like this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

There is far less talent on this roster than Rockets fans like to admit. Udoka is absolutely a good coach, but no one is turning this cast into legit contenders.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Coaches Don't Matter gang is out there popping bottles

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

As a culture setter and teacher yes.

As a coach would could lead a team to a championship? I don’t know.

Downtown Sniper and Easy like this.
  6. zjcblord21

zjcblord21 Member

I think it's unfair to evaluate Ime when he is forced to use JG4 as a starter. Yes, if you ask me, I definitely believe he is forced by the management to start JG4 in order to not hurt this kid's childish ego, and not tank value further.

After three seasons of inefficient and even retrogressive performance, it's amazing to see him still playing as a starter. Even as a fake starter, he still fails to do his job. Come on, let's end this JG experiment.

Y2JT likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

STARS run this league - not coaches.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Yeah, this team lacks talent - particularly guys who can shoot the damn ball.

I said it before the season - this team would struggle offensively because they don't have shooters

Their best shooter from last season has only played in 22 games this year.

The 2nd best shooter from last season is out of the league.

Most of the lineup combo's have at least two guys who can't shoot - that screws up the spacing.

There's 5 dudes shooting .308 Or Worse from 3 who play at least 15 minutes a game and a 6th that plays ~10minutes per.

Landale .111
    Amen .149
    Sengun .295
    Tate .304
    Jeff Green .306
    Jalen Green .30
    (The next lowest percentage after these is .360, pretty much league average (.367))

And one of these dudes takes the highest volume of 3's per game.

This equates to 52.2% of the total minutes available per game being played by dudes shooting .308 or lower.

Teams don't even bother to defend these players at the 3 point line on many occasions .... and we wonder why their record is what it is?

They can't f*@%$*g shoot.

Amen & Sengun absolutely have to improve and Stone needs to find some shooters in the draft and or free agency.

A kick in the teeth ? ... The best 3 point shooting team, The best FT shooting team and 2nd best 2 point shooting team ..... OKC.

Easy, carl_herrera and MadMax like this.
  9. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

According to a few insiders Stone and Udoka were butting heads around the deadline. Many of you may get your wish when Udoka quits and goes to a suitable franchise. Then you can get another coach built in mode of Silas. Maybe even bring back the abuser. Oh what fun.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thinly-disguised I-have-grown-to-HATE-Ime-Udoka thread

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

YES but he failed by not hiring a Basketball GM to replace his lawyer ass.

txtodd and FrontRunner like this.
  12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I think Udoka is at a crossroads. He tried to bring a winning mentality and culture.. which excelled in the beginning. But the problem is when you have 6 players under 22 playing a majority of minutes, you can only win so much.

He still coaches every game like a playoffs game and you really aren't seeing long term development goals included. We haven't seen any development of our younger players and a few of them have quite notably regressed.

We aren't making the playoffs and I want to see the last stretch of the season devoted to repititons and schemes that will help us next season. Play Amen and Cam HEAVY minutes. Trim FVV and Brooks. I should not see Jeff Green play more than 5 minutes in ANY game.

corrado likes this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

MadMax likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

SamFisher likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Udoka definitely still the right choice. Stone's massive failure is that he hasn't built properly around Sengun yet and STILL apparently refuses to commit to building around his franchise player, Alperen Sengun.

Not trading Jalen for whatever (addition by subtraction) at the deadline was a massive mistake.

Get some damn shooters around Sengun. And make it clear to everyone that he is the franchise player.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess he could have backed up a brinks truck to Kevin Sampson's house

Rocket River

17. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We do not have a coaching problem we have a TALENT problem. We just have one(1) Star and the rest of the team are 6th Men and role players right now. Amen and Cam are players who can be a Stars soon, but right now we have no STARS. Jalen is a 6th Man, Jabari is a role player and average shooter, Fred and Dillion are average players and STEALING money from us…..we do not have a coaching problem we have a GENERAL MANAGER PROBLEM!

MadMax likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

CF should be happy with Ime. They love JVG. Every time they’ve had an opening, hire JVG! McHale fired, hired JVG! D’Antoni fired, hire JVG! Silas fired, hire JVG! Ime fired, hired JVG!

“But but but he’s learned his lesson! It won’t be the same as 2005! He’s adapted!”

How the **** do you know he’s adapted? Because he said so? Because he’s a broadcaster “around the game”? Because he coached Team USA teenagers?

Yes, I’d rather have Ime over Frank Vogel. (I don’t even remember who else were candidates or interviewed.)

#18 J.R., Feb 28, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    sirjesse and topfive like this.
  19. corrado

corrado Member

I am not saying that Udoka is the problem now. It is more trying to look into a future. Will he be able to help our guys grow? And assuming they do pan out or we get talent some other way and have enough to build a contender, will he be the one to take us there or will we ultimately need someone with different approach/skillset?

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

At the exact second Udoka was hired to near-unanimous cheers, the countdown was started for CF to turn on him.

ChillyPete32 and Os Trigonum like this.