1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka on loss to OKC, not wanting Sengun to guard Chet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 25, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think we should talk about Ime and Stone not being that good either.....lol.

Sengün and Jabari are here to stay at least for a lengthier time......one cannot change that.

HardenReturns and Ankara1923 like this.
  2. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Alperen Sengun as a Power Forward Next Year Most Likely with Steven Adams playing Center.

KAT switched to Power Forward with Rudy Gobert at Center they Struggled Last Year. Now it works out for them. 1st Place on Standings.

BMoney likes this.
  3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Alperen Sengun is a Liability as a 3 Point Shooter, Isolate Sengun on Defense.

4. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Chet locking down the paint and shooting threes. Sengun can only dream.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

KAT is a volume distance shooter - Sengun is not.

Rockets have a bit of a problem in that several of their core pieces are non-shooters (Sengun, Amen and, I guess Green) which means you kind of have to stagger them. Need to stop drafting those guys

6. conquistador#11

Obviously, that's how Ime played it the first game and they won. So obviously I wouldn't expect Ime to change the match up. I wouldn't either.
    I didn't like the turnovers from him, obviously. The offensive fouls were bs but a costly 8 point swing. But it's not like he is prone to it. Like everything, he will adapt to the doubles. It is crazy that Ime would trust him at this stage to bait defenders for double teams.

Just keep working. If Sengun does become the focal point of the offense in a few seasons, the pieces to play outstanding team defense are already here. They all compliment each other defensively.

Like it or not Sengun was again one of the three best defenders tonight. Amen, Jabari and then Alpi.

Obviously time to get ready for bed.

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Chet having players not be turnstiles on the perimeter.

Sengun can only dream.

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Do I see Dream mentioned.....:eek:

9. ExTexanNowEastCoast

What does any of this have to do with Alpi's inability to defend even average bigs? I am not even sure that he can defend 4's. We all know JG4's limitations. I don't think anyone here is making an argument for JG4.

The whole team sort of folded and played "dumb" in the second half. People looked lost and were out of position. Now some of that is due to the fact that OKC is more talented than we are at pretty much every position other than forward (due to Jabari). Not a coincidence that Jabari dominated. Everywhere else? OKC is ahead of us.

Richie_Rich and "Hail Hydra" like this.
  10. OremLK

OremLK Member

They're ahead of us primarily because they have a true superstar in his prime and we don't (yet, I hope). You take SGA off that team and we're neck-and-neck with them.

"Hail Hydra" likes this.
  11. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

OKC went 22-24-40 in their three years of rebuilding before this season..............we have gone 20-22-25 so far. We are a year behind them in the rebuild. This makes the off-season important to get a few key players and continue the growth of the young players.

12. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

they are in year 4 of their rebuild and we are in year 3

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm usually opposed to drafting for need, but I think it's time to go get a shooter. Especially in a draft class where the consensus is so muddy.

Either that, or trade the pick(s) for one.

BaselineFade likes this.
  14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

This is why so many of us were pissed when Stone did nothing for this group and essentially punted away the season at the trade deadline. I think Sengun can guard the 5, admittedly not very well, but he absolutely cannot do it alone by himself for 48 minutes. Udoka doesn't help when he refuses to play any of our horrible bench bigs for even a minute. I know they are bad, but they could at least come in and throw some weight around and commit some fouls if nothing else. Not having a playable center on the bench, or refusing to play what you DO have, has been a massive problem, and it looks like Sengun and ancient Jeff Green are simply worn down at this point.

Streakshooter, charlieaustin and Nook like this.
  15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

OKC is gonna be the next Warriors that run the West and the scary part is they still have enough assets to get one or two superstars.

It's pointless to compare our team to them because unless SGA suffers a career ending injury, they'll always be one step ahead.

It's gonna take another 2-3 years before the majority of Rockets fans realize we aren't winning it all this decade barring us drafting the next generational player with a miracle pick.

apollo33 and kubli9 like this.
  16. MystikArkitect

There's no point in discussing JG anymore. Ime's seen what he needs to see with him. The more pertinent question right now is the dip in Sengun's play in the last 2 months and why that is.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Already said this in another thread yesterday, but the Rockets were not contending until at least near the end of the decade anyway, no matter how good OKC is. People need to stop worrying about OKC. They're well ahead of us on the timeline since SGA is already entering his prime years and our young core are all around the average age for a rookie (even the ones that are 2nd and 3rd year players).

You simply don't contend in the NBA until you have a prime-years superstar. If we find one internally, that is going to be years away regardless of what other teams have or do. If we trade for one, well that's just going to be an opportunistic thing that happens when it happens, and I'm not going to stress about it right now.

18. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Reality is that this team sucks. Zero all stars and a bunch of mediocre to average NBA players. We should be thrilled with 25 wins as we have the least talent in the league next to Portland and Detroit. Stone should be fired as the makeup of this team is awful. We have 4/5 starters shooting under 40% field goals. This team’s ownership talks the talk but doesn’t ever deliver. Getting tired of all this losing year after year after year.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am no clairvoyant and I am not in the majority. But I saw that Stone is not going to lead us anywhere.

Maybe Udoker can build the next best thing if not a contender.....

A scrappy team that is a 2nd round exit.....

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member