1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

box outs, screen assists, charges, deflections, number of contested shots

read it for yourself

also, for being "horrible", somehow their teams got a winning record

"horrible" based on what? your "eye test"?

these aren't the only defensive metrics, and not all of them are pure defensive metrics

but they indicate effort

jalen green is 236th out of 250 per 36

sorry if the actual metrics do not confirm your bias

omgTHEpotential and cml750 like this.
  3. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

what bias? Jalen green is garbage, i have literally never said anything positive about him, he sucks. If you're gonna argue that jalen brunson deserves DPOY, or if even a good defender, or freakin sabonis is....idk what to say

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I argued none of these things.

I posted HUSTLE stats. I also explained very patiently to you, even though they are self-explanatory and you can read it for yourself, what they measure - EFFORT. Some, but not all of it clearly on the defensive end, like charges, deflections, number of contested shots.

It's really not that hard to understand, unless one is deliberately dense or one has some kind of comprehension issues.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Adams and Sengun might be able to play together a bit if it's like Fred, Cam, and Dillon with them.

More interested to see how playing against Adams in practice helps Alpi dealing with his archetype.

cml750 likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

9. omgTHEpotential

Don't waste your breath. Reading comprehension is at all-time lows these days.

cml750, cmoak1982 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. Strawberry Gum

Sengun acts like he is insignificant to not being selected to the All-Star game, but it's clear that it affected his morale. He's much more passive at the offensive side since the reserves are announced. He was overthinking a lot at today's game, it was very obvious.

11. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Not really sure what you expect him to do. Every time he caught the ball he was double or triple teamed. Being aggressive is what caused the turnovers. Spacing needs to be better for it to work and right now teams just don't respect our shooters.

12. Strawberry Gum

I agree that his situation has not been ideal recently because of the horrendous shooting performance of the team etc. I don't think he is playing bad, he is still our most consistently good player, but he can be a lot better. e's been having mental struggles on the court, his body language becomes pretty negative when things don't go his way.

I think a lot of the issues he's been having could have been solved by bringing his midrange game back. Somebody should ask him about it, I wonder why he's not taking them anymore.

plegus likes this.
  13. cumutk

cumutk Member

If he was in a team with better forwards who knows how to shoot, he was definitely all star.
    He is still our best player and possible Rockets superstar, but needs constant pieces. Amen, Jabari, Whitmore and Alpi will be core pieces.
    Optimistic and excited about Rockets future..
    I believe with the Suns games that we won, his dominant play again will start

Strawberry Gum, Arda and cml750 like this.
  14. tagedieb

tagedieb Member

for the last month or so, he doesn't look like a franchise player.. He looks very predictable on offense and careless on defense..

I will now go report myself :)

Strawberry Gum, Bo6 and Os Trigonum like this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

When I hear people talk about Alpi's alleged ceiling, it sounds like the guys in this video talking about Jokic before he led his team to the championship.

13 in 33 and clos4life like this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Alperen is a whole lot better than he is showing. I’m not sure what is going on, but he is not the same guy right now. It’s been weeks of drunken buffoonery out there. I legit can’t stand watching him. It’s like watching Harden when he used to get so into his own head that he couldn’t do anything right.

I’d consider giving these young guys a break when they get to this point. Jabari has had some pretty dreadful stretches this year too. Might not hurt to give them a Popovich game off so they can watch and recalibrate. Give JG a couple months off and send him to shooting camp. :D

tagedieb, Strawberry Gum and Bo6 like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe all the negativism towards Alpi right now . . .

aggression-this-aggression-will-not-stand.gif

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think it is how teams have adjusted their defense and probably playing with a sore back. He is hesitating with the ball and letting the double teams come to him to late in the clock. He’s also gotten away from his dirk shot. I expect he will work pretty hard on his outside shooting this off-season.

Strawberry Gum likes this.
  20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I saw Sengun last night miss multiple open passes because he is becoming a tunnel vision score-first type player. This is scary to me.

Double Sengun, run Fred off the 3point line. Let Brooks/Green/Jabari chuck from 3. It's a pretty easy strategy to employ.

tagedieb likes this.