1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabrari Smith Truly Sucks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 14, 2024.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jabari isn't on any shaky ground at all wtf. Only dumbasses and clowns will think he is on shaky ground dude just appeared on rising stars in the all star game and he is supposed to be on some shaky ground? Wtf.

Again the only reason he is scoring less is because he is treated as the 5th option. If he got more attempts he will average more points. This isn't rocket science. And yes I know you agree with me I think it's just dumb you even entertain this notion.

Is Cam Whitmore on shaky ground? Dude is averaging even less than Jabari omg Cam better watch out he gonna get cut omg only 11 ppg what a horrible scorer amirite

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

36% 3 pt shooting from a second year PF is not bad shooting. Add in that his body is still underdeveloped at age 20 and your arguments are just silly. He also according to advanced stats one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. You don’t give up on a guy like that after. 1 2/3 seasons. Sometimes I don’t know if you are just trolling.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Aldridge was a post up guy who shot .663 as a college freshman and didn't attempt a three either year at Texas. As a pro, he made his living posting up on the wings or pounding his way into the middle for hooks. Meanwhile, Jabari is allergic to the paint, shot just .435 from two in college and just .310 (36 of 116) in the areas of the floor where Aldridge feasted. Jabari's (supposed) greatest offensive strength is his three point shooting and Aldridge shot a horrid 29% from three in his prime.

The suggestion for one to play like the other makes little to no sense.

Imanimal likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I knew LaMarcus was a pre-Unicorn type of guy. LMA actually reminded me of a homeless Tim Duncan.

Bari is more like a Reggie Miller face up guy in a skinny big body.

5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Please listen….Jabari is a SMALL FORWARD not a Power Forward. Once Ime change Jabari position he will be a asset to the team and not a liability

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah he is a PF not a small forward.

7. TimDuncanDonaut

He's a powerful small forward, who looks forward and not backward.

Bo6 and Glenyo like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

deserves its own thread

cml750 likes this.
  9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Hey, it would make us taller so it wouldn’t be a bad idea. Two problems though: what are they gonna do with the guy getting paid 80+ million who is currently at that spot? who replaces him at PF?
    Jeff Green is too old and Tari Eason is too short. Next year it would be fun to have the following lineup:
    Adams
    Sengun
    Smith
    Green
    FVV
    This year we have no legit backup bigs so we’re forced to play Jabrari as a backup C at times. Sadly, this current subpar roster prohibits the team from being able to move Smith to another (possibly better) position.

10. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'm not sure how Jeff Green at starting SG would work, but it honestly can't be worse than the current SG so assuming Cam is not available, i'd roll with Jeff Green at SG.

cml750 likes this.
  11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As if our 3 PT shooting threat compared to other teams wasn't bad enough, you found a way to make it much worse.

harold bingo, gfab-babyboi and YOLO like this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

His political takes are almost as well researched as his bball takes. Less nuanced though.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He put on about 10 lbs of muscle this past off-season. He is just 20 years old and over the next several years he will put on a significant amount of muscle. He is by no means skinny. I don’t care if he is a PF or sf depending on how our team is structured going forward.

14. SuraGotMadHops

Well explained....then what is Jabari actually good at? Anything?

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Catching up on comments and piggy-backing on my post from a few days ago... where I noted i've basically been underwhelmed. So wanted to put more words to my thoughts.

Look, at the end of the day, he's a VERY difficult prospect to gauge.

I am certainly perplexed at the lack of opportunity he often gets in this offense, especially considering how much opportunity you know who gets... but i also agree with some of the others that note, sometimes you have to create your own opportunity. Far far too often he's... just there. INDEED, a lot of that time he is kidna open behind the 3 point line and our guards just can't get him the ball... but when Tari was healthy - last year and this - the problem was the exact same for him, but he just MAKES STUFF HAPPEN. In both years Tari has a good 5-6 more shots per 100 possessions than Jabari and that's absolutely NOT because the team is purposefully going to him.

And this inability to "make stuff happen" shows up on the defensive end as well. Are there times where he just plays very solid defense? Absolutely. But the other call it half of the time he is getting easily blown by, bullied, or rotating poorly. And all at the same time, not making stuff happen - again, see Tari (or Amen).

All of which would be fine and dandy if he provided exceptional skill in certain areas. Offensively, this would be 3pt shooting - except outside a 30ish game stretch he's been fairly meh (or worse) in this department. Defensively it could be anything - deflections, blocks... it WAS something earlier and that was rebounding, but that has gone away. But when he had that "monster" rebounding stretch, it was legit just that one thing he was excelling at and you could tell easily that it was making a strong positive impact and could keep him on the court.

He also had a brief stretch where he was legit defending much better on the perimeter. Ironically, at first it looked kinda... stupid. I mean it had kinda of an erratic look to it. He was getting out there on the wing, waving his arms about, moving his feet position one way and then the other - i actually think ultimately though it was pretty effective.

He's so young, so how much will he improve? TBD.

I do not envision almost ever a go-to offensive player. Certainly that might be the case for a few games here or there, or periods within games. But absolutely not throw this guy the ball and see if he can create from the wing consistently. You'd hope maybe from the post, but (1) to date he's still too light and gets easily pushed around, (2) he's not a great mid-range shooter or anything, and (3) even if he was, the mid-range is about having a strong shot variety so that you can get to other, more efficient shots easier - it will ALWAYS be the least efficient shot on the court (certain mid-range snipers notwithstanding).

And I honestly don't envision almost ever a "go-to" defensive player. Eg. an all-nba defender or close. It should get better, even if just by cutting in half (next year) and half again (following year) the meh games. But also ideally some top-end improvement if/as bulk comes. But he's just not a make stuff happen defender. Blocks are low, steals are low, rotations need a lot of work.

Even with the above, given his age, he can still ultimately become a very solid player. I see the LMA comp was discussed - and dismissed - as their styles aren't quite as compatible as might at first seem... but running with that for a second, LMA was a 5x all-star. Sorry, I just don't see that in his future. The league has just gotten really good. I mean ffs Sabonis is putting up 20, 13 and 8 and couldn't make an all star team - its insane.

Ok... so you take all of the above, and what do you do/conclude? For one, i have to look at the macro picture. Tilman strikes me as done being awful or very mediocre. Ime CLEARLY is. Eventually something will happen with Jalen - trust that. He either miraculously turns it around (unlikely) or moves on. In the later scenario, he has "meh" value at best. For two, you have to look at cap ramifications. We're talking mainly JG this year... but Bari is just a year away. And you have to pay Alpi, and will have Tari, Amen and Cam coming, too. Now if I look at a scenario where i try and package Jalen and some combo of Nets picks (2024, future) to improve... what can i get? Seemingly, not that much... I think another prospect has to be added. And if I look at all the above, the one I'd ultimately end up on to add is probably Bari. I just like Cam and Amen's upside better. And Tari just seems to be that glue guy, make stuff happen guy... that won't be as expensive (have to understand his health).

It would feel like giving up on Bari a bit for sure. And I'd 100% recognize it might be a mistake LONG LONG term. But moves and decisions must ultimately be made.

Again, he's just a very hard prospect to gauge right now.

LikeMike, cml750, heypartner and 2 others like this.
  16. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

He’s just so bland. He doesn’t help and he doesn’t hurt. It’s like he plays just to play and not impact.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jabari and Alperen are about to hit the weight room so damn hard with Steven Adams.

18. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I basically agree with everything you said - but I wanted to highlight this point. Why are we never trying to make Jabari a bigger part of the offense? I mean, sure, we know of his limitations. But we have also seen what he can do against lesser competition in summer league. Why don't we at least try to do something similar with him? Let him fail a couple of times and learn from his mistakes - and also let's see how his progression looks to better gauge, if and what kind of piece he can be for us going forward.

We are playing him like a middle aged MLE addition. But then again, like you said, it also doesn't seem like Jabari is having any problem with that or is trying to get more involved by cutting to the basket more or going harder for offensive boards.

Really, Green and Jabari are two frustrating players to root for...

daywalker02 likes this.
  19. cml750

cml750 Member

Since his last injury it looks like he has lost his confidence. If they would do the right thing and park Jalen at the end of the bench where he belongs, then they could try getting Jabari a few good open looks from downtown to start games to try to build his confidence up like they have been trying to do with Jalen for so long to no avail. At least Jabari will make some of them. If Bari can get back close to what he was pre last injury then he is a net asset for the team.

GOATuve and daywalker02 like this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The offense needs some creativity. It blows my mind that we run pick and roll instead of a Princeton with a guy like Alperen.

We should be copying the ever-living **** out of Sacramento on offense.

LikeMike and cml750 like this.