1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Ime change the starting 5 after the all-star break?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Feb 18, 2024.

?

Vote

Poll closed Feb 25, 2024.
  1. Yes

97 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. No

60 vote(s)
    38.2%
  1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don’t think it’s possible for Jalen to play at a high enough level where I’d feel comfortable with him as a starting guard on this team next year.

There’s no way they could lie and say winning is a priority and give him the starting spot again next season.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It doesn't. I lost respect for him as a coach. He starts Jalen over and over and over, while better shooters with sit and lose time in developing skills. What's the point? We aren't going anywhere this year. Jalen will be replaced anyway for a starter who can actually shoot 3's or who has better ball handling skills. Their pipe dream of Jalen being their future isn't realistic. If watching him was a movie I'd title it Groundhog Day.

3. prs325

prs325 Member

What a bummer, no lineup change

4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Prepare to be disappointed then.

5. cml750

cml750 Member

I suspect Ime is going to see how Jalen responds to the whole Roosh controversy becoming public. If Jalen responds positively he will remain the starter. If Jalen remains the same bad player he has been 90+% of the time or gets, gulp worse, he will be replaced. I am betting he is replaced within a few weeks when Jalen continues to be Jalen. I also expect Ime to have a very short leash for him during this time meaning he will not get many minutes if he starts out playing like his normal bad self.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t care about starting vs bench, but Amen should be getting 30 mins a game the rest of the season. I don’t care where the minutes come from. Cam at least 25, more if he improves his defense. I definitely would like to see more Amen and Cam with Sengun and Jabari without FVV on he floor to slow thing up.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

do u honestly believe that Ime is giving more than a fraction of a second of thought to the Roosh-Jalen Twitter war? If so lol. I cringe.

theDude and charlieaustin like this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think good coaches and front offices should pay attention to what players are saying and doing off the court. Did the KPJ experiment prove nothing? I don’t know how Ime views Jalen and how much importance he places on off-court issues. Only he knows what his relationship is with Jalen. For the most part, I don’t pay much attention to immature kids saying stupid things, but I think organizations should be tuned in. Let’s say you were running a restaurant and one of your employees was spouting off on the internet saying they ain’t no busser and they don’t like the way they are managed. Would you pay attention to that situation?

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. cml750

cml750 Member

No I do not think he really actually gives a **** about it but I do think he wants to see how Jalen responds to it on the court. Regardless I think he is giving Jalen one last chance to prove himself before making the change

Aruba77 likes this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

fair point. I guess I don’t take social media spats that seriously. And I’d be shocked if the Roosh spat was the only time Ime got an inkling of Jalen being frustrated “with the way he’s being used”.

topfive and cml750 like this.
  12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

For the record, I voted “No”. I’m in the 37% club. The next six games are going to be ugly and then there will be some sort of players only meeting. Jalen should pull a Westbrook and bench himself but I am not going to go that far and predict he will do so

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good coaches and front offices should also pay attention to the value of a shooting guard who can actually shoot consistently well, or ones who has a good assist/turnover ratio. Ours are too stubborn to see that Jalen is a low tier ranked SG in both those parts of basketball. They are desperately trying to prove something and it's backfiring.

Aruba77 and cml750 like this.
  14. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Jalen is immensely talented, and the coach is trying to figure out how to incorporate his talent into team success.

Green is obviously flustered, but he’s here for the time being, and the Rockets are probably going to use this time to experiment. I think the playoff’s are now an afterthought, unless synergy shines.

Easy and Aruba77 like this.
  15. cml750

cml750 Member

Jalen is immensely athletic. He has a ways to go to be talented.

Arda likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah I think we discussed this before or maybe I'm misremembering a conversation with someone else. Amen and Sengun both shooting sub 30% from 3 on the floor simultaneously is a no-go for me unless we're eliminated from the playins. We already have some of the worst spacing in the NBA, I don't think we can survive less spacing no matter how spectacular Sengun/Amen may be. Would love to see Amen playing lots of minutes off the bench at the 1 and 3 though with Tari being more of a 3/4. I don't want to see Tate/Holiday anymore. Green is going to get 25+ minutes if he's starting but I think those will disappear quickly if he remains inefficient.

I think you're more forgiving on that and want to see it happen despite the spacing concerns. I can say the defense would be better with Amen at the 2 but how much more are we really going to improve from 6th best defense? Maybe you think that will more than make up the difference.

Definitely agree on Cam, I can't imagine he gets less than 30 minutes per game. We need his shooting badly. This team is offensively painful to watch.

17. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

100% agree Not sure why Jalen cares at all. Jalen need to mature and learn to brush off criticism legit or not.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Fair enough. I do think this being overblown, but I do think Ime needs to give Jalen a short leash

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

You are right, I’m not as concerned with the spacing, because unless we go on a pretty significant winning streak very soon, we won’t have a chance at the playin and I think the floor spacing that FVV has been providing for a long while now is not any better than the spacing that Cam could bring to the floor. I just think we need to get cam, Jabari, amen and Sengun on the floor together as much as we can to build synergy. FVV’s injury is not the cause of our swoon. We have been swooning ever since Bari, Tari, and brooks got injured at the same time. I’m not suggesting we tank, but we shouldn’t be delusional about the playin if we don’t turn it around significantly in the next 6-7 games.

Mathloom likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It will be between the Rox and the Warriers/Lakers.