1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After 2-year-old girl shoots self, man becomes first person charged under Michigan’s gun storage law

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

A Michigan man whose 2-year-old daughter shot herself in the head with his revolver last week pleaded not guilty after becoming the first person charged under the state’s new law requiring safe storage of guns.

Michael Tolbert, 44, of Flint, was arraigned Monday on nine felony charges including single counts of first-degree child abuse and violation of Michigan’s gun storage law, said John Potbury, Genesee County’s deputy chief assistant prosecuting attorney.

Tolbert’s daughter remained hospitalized Wednesday in critical condition from the Feb. 14 shooting, Potbury said. The youngster shot herself the day after Michigan’s new safe storage gun law took effect.

A not guilty plea was entered Monday on behalf of Tolbert, who also faces one count each of felon in possession of a firearm, felon in possession of ammunition, lying to a peace officer in a violent crime investigation and four counts of felony firearm, Potbury said.

Tolbert was being held at the Genesee County Jail on bond amounts totaling $250,000, according online court records.

killing two students and leaving others critically wounded.

The law took effect a week after a Michigan jury convicted a shooter’s mother of involuntary manslaughter, making her the first parent in the U.S. to be held responsible for a child carrying out a mass school shooting. Gun accessibility was an issue in the trial and investigators say Jennifer and James Crumbley failed to properly secure the gun. James Crumbley faces trial on the same charge next month in the 2021 shooting at Oxford High School that killed four students.

Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said at a news conference Tuesday announcing the charges against Tolbert that the law “went into effect one week ago today. This incident occurred the very next day.”

Flint police learned of the shooting after Tolbert took the girl to a hospital. Officers found two guns in the bedroom of the man’s home: a revolver used in a the shooting and a semiautomatic pistol. Both were unsecured and loaded. Police said they found no gun locks or safes in the bedroom.

Tolbert’s next hearing is a Feb. 29 probable cause conference. A court employee said Tolbert would be assigned a public defender but directed calls to the county’s chief public defender. A message was left Wednesday with the chief public defender by The Associated Press asking for the name of Tolbert’s attorney.

https://apnews.com/article/michigan-firearm-saf-a38c8e01fff0bb70e90b9985d5bd4150

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Guns don't kill people (2 year old) people kill people.

I hope this guy gets convicted, and sentenced to hard time.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

I like this law as well as the precedent of charging parents of mass shooters when it’s clear they were negligent and reckless and could’ve done more to prevent it

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Can the victim's family also sue the gun manufacturer or gun sales location? Maybe that will put a dent in killings?

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If we aren't going to outlaw guns (or certain types of guns), that's what it's going to take. Accountability.

That would be ideal and something I've been saying for a while. If you can sue the people/companies who sold the offender the guns, it's going to make those people/companies a lot more careful when it comes to gun sales. More accountability.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Minnesota is debating a law like this now. With the recent killing of two LEO and a paramedic by someone who legally shouldn’t have had firearms there is more impetus to making sure firearms don’t get into the wrong hands.

deb4rockets, Xerobull and NewRoxFan like this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Texas GOP would never pass a law like this. They would rather pretend stuff like this is just an accident.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the type of common sense laws that people are resisting out of ideology. If I have a toddler I can’t just leave rat poison sitting somewhere that the toddler can easily get to. Yet the argument from many is that leaving a loaded unlocked firearm is fine.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Laws get passed when the "wrong people" are affected
    When guns affect LEOs more than "regular people" . .. watch all laws change
    When guns affect "politicians and rich folx" more than "regular people" . . . watch the laws change
    until then
    These are acceptable losses

nope never
    Louisiana use to handle underage drinking by charging the drinker and not the bars
    That seems to be our approach to guns

Doesn't work well .. . . .
    Honestly . . . if someone owns 50 guns . . .. I have major concerns

the idea that nothing should be limited is kind of the American ideology of excess being life

Rocket River

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I have no problem with this.

Simply leaving a revolver and other gun loaded in plain sight around a 2 year old is ****ing disgusting

11. Xerobull

Uh, less guns on the street = less crime and being shot at by the 'bad' guys. Gun restriction laws affect LEO the most.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The reason gun secure and storage laws are needed (and I reluctantly agree it should be a law) is that 2A folks refuse basic common-sense measures, like training.

I don't think we have a specific law that says poison needs to be secured. It prevents the over-prosecution of a parent who forgot and left rat poison on the table, resulting in the death of a toddler who ate it. If the parent acts with recklessness, then I think negligence laws cover it. But I doubt there is a law against the occasional drastic mistake.

So, the bigger issue for me is the complete lack of a need for training, licensing, and sensible regulation. Gun secure and storage laws shouldn't be needed if gun owners are responsible. They should be trained before owning. They should demonstrate a need for it and that they can be responsible gun owners. Without those, unfortunately, we will need this type of law.

13. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

If I had to wait in line at dmv to register my car so should gun owners. I need a license and insurance and so should gun owners.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Xerobull

That's a really good point. If you can get sued for your gun doing harm, there should be insurance for each weapon. If you want to own 30 ARs, that's part of the tab.

Amiga and Rocket River like this.
  15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

378 LEOs shot last year (most Ever) -- https://fop.net/2024/01/378-officers-shot-in-the-line-of-duty-in-2023/
    46 died from the wound
    That number is not significant enough for gun legislation
    On the other hand
    LEOs killed over 1160 people (this is not to mention ones that were shot and not killed) - https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

Again . . . not enough of the "wrong people" getting shots
    The number of LEOs is not significant enough
    and no one gives a sh*t about the people LEO's killed
    or Poor People killed by Randos . . . .

Rocket River

Xerobull likes this.
  16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Anything to protect the ridiculous gun nuttery than costs the USA billions per year and tremendous suffering and death. Let's remodel and redesign every new public building in the country, hire hundreds of thousand of new security guards, have school kids do weekly "active shooter" drills-- whatever it takes.

Hey it gets great ratings on TV "news", though it is a daily event. Only about two mass shootings per week, though.