1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Reid RIP

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by R=$, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Nook

Nook Member

He was a genuinely nice person. He was around a lot with charities in my childhood and school.

He was a real person - never made people feel like he was better than them or more important. Always a smile and was happy to talk to people about anything other than basketball.

Lots of great memories meeting and being around guys like Rudy T, his family… Rodney McCray and Otis Thorpe … even Vernon Maxwell.

Still - as great as those guys were, they were not as humble at Bobby… only other guy like that was John Lucas who was very nice but not as happy or smiling like BJ.

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Shared an elevator with him once at an office building on Richmond Avenue in the 80's. We were the only two on the elevator. It was awkward. Of course I knew who he was, everyone in town did back in the day, but I didn't want to be uncool about it, so instead I just rode with him in uncomfortable and awkward silence.

3. R=$

R=$ Member

Anyone remember the Rockets show hosted by Robert and Hanna Storm. The man was multi talented. Houston Rockets glory days !

UTSA2step likes this.
  4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

When he was the color man for UH radio broadcasts if we got to the game early we would yell Bobby Joe and he would always wave at us.

5. markus4040

markus4040 Member

RIP. Brought some great times to Rockets fans

raining threes likes this.
  6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

He was a incredible, considerate and nice person. I always admired him when was playing with the Rockets. I remember meeting him at the Super Bowl in Houston and I thought he would be stuck up or being snobby because he was a former athlete. I was totally shock, he stopped and had a genuine conversation about basketball, the past and present Houston Rockets. My friend and I was shock how nice he was to us, he told us he always treat people how he wants to be treated; athlete, former athlete and no athlete…everybody his equal. I was shock because majority of the celebrities and athletes at the Super Bowl was STUCK UP. God Bless Him

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Met him at a jr nba skills camp for my kid. He came to us to talk, I didn't know who he was. Amazing nice person. RIP Robert Reid

#47 cheke64, Feb 20, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
  8. SORF

SORF Member

No, no, no, no! Not Robert. Another good man, player, team mate and Housonian dying too soon and too young.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

10. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Rest in peace Bobby Joe...

He came to my school once and he talked about how he played a pickup game with this guy who loud and talking lots of crap. He played the guy with his left handed for the first 12 points and then played right handed the next 12 points and shut the guy down and shut him up...

T_Man

raining threes and tinman like this.
  11. RocketsAstrosFanLover

Reid was a great player and a great person and I will always thank him for the great 1981 and 1986 Finals run, there is no shame losing to better Celtics teams in both Finals and that 1981 team is my favorite team of all time with a 40-42 record making to the Finals is really impressive, thank you for the memories Mr. Reid!

#51 RocketsAstrosFanLover, Feb 21, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. Bolajuwon

Bolajuwon Member