1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumors: JG4 refusing to be sixth man and believing him not being properly used

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Feb 21, 2024.

1. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Though many CFs here may not be big fans of Rooshwilliams for many reasons, but at least two or three vloggers has been either quoted his story as to most recent clash between him and Jalen on twitter after sixers game or supported his narratives by inviting him to their show say Frank of Rockets Chop Shop, whatever one thing could be true that Ime gonna change the starting lineup after ASB.
    tfb I'm not a ‘we’re still playoff runner’ believer any longer however it’s as good as I hate seeing Rafael kicking the can down the road by doing nothing for a run before trade deadline, I do love seeing Ime to do something to help our players back on winning track, also hope tari back SOON, keep my finger crossed for him.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He got outplayed by a dude on a two way (Nate Hinton).

That means he's not the 6th man but the 16th man.

BallSoHarden, Arnel, gotsis and 17 others like this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The answer is somewhere in the middle. That said, the lack of personal accountability is disturbing.

100% Alperen, Jabari, and Jalen Green are not being maximized on offense. That is just a fact, and some of that falls on the coaching staff. However, I expect that Udoka expects full accountability from each of these young guys. That is step number 1 in getting them to grow up on and off the court.

So far, Jabari and Alperen take it all on the chin, no matter how good or bad they play. For me, those are the two you build around, with Amen Thompson. Foundational players that have shown improvement consistently, because they are personally accountable.

Arnel, gotsis, Ardeus and 10 others like this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

jay grin is a star and is being misused. move breh to the 3 to create crazy mismatches on offense. i may be wrong, but if not, i could be right.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The thing is we don't need Roosh or Jalen to tell us he's not being used properly, I detailed that very specifically 2 months ago.

Jalen's game was very fragile coming into the season. The only way he can play is: get downhill to the basket and finish with FT's. If he's getting to the cup like that, then teams give him space on the 3pt line and his 3pter falls at a slightly better rate (33-34% before this season). His 3pt shot is not that great but enough of a counter last season for teams to have to make decisions between giving him space or not. That's it, that's all he's got. His mid range sucks (41% from the field) and - other than stand still open 3's going straight up and down (39%) - his 3pt shot sucks too (something garbage like 25%) so you can't make those his primary shots. What he was always good at was getting FT's and we all knew he had to get stronger to finish through contact more - that was always the primary thing he had to achieve.

So this season we made it FAR more difficult to make the 1 shot that he's good at making. We spent most of the season playing one of the slowest paces in the NBA (allowing defenses and rim protectors time to check their hair and get ready for anything) and we clogged the paint with our guys and their guys. Sengun's defender will not guard him at the 3pt line, so he will be shutting down penetration from other threats unless they're running PnR together. We have him desperately needing to make 3's and mid range jumpers. What kind of plan is that? We've seen that fail.

That's a fact. Am I advocating that we should have played another way? No. Surely designing it around Sengun was the logical choice. However, it is a fact. Our paint is very clogged, our spacing is very bad and our pace is very slow for all but the last 10 games. There's no way you are going to convince someone that that's a good idea for a guy who's trying to get to the basket repeatedly, a guy who's FAST AF in transition and doesn't have a solid 3pt shot. That's fine for a post player. It's fine for a shooter. However, all the wings on our team are penetrating the paint below expectations.

We are in desperate need for someone to give us a high volume of great penetration with FT's included. That's part of any great offense, you should want it for our team. We should make that easier on our guys, why should they have to face one of the most challenging paint/spacing situations when we are piggybacking on the youngest wing rotation in the NBA? Frankly I don't think Udoka knows yet how to optimize the offense BOTH for Sengun and our wings. At the moment luckily Cam is shooting lights out so that will give us a temporary lift but ultimately this team won't take a step up unless Cam can double his volume at the same % OR we make it easier for Amen/Cam/Jalen to penetrate more frequently. I have no idea why some people want to fight this. It would be amazing for our record, for Sengun, for the trade value of our wings, for the future of Amen and Cam. If you're a Rockets fan, you wouldn't be looking for a short term band aid. You'd want to be running a competent offense. You'd want Udoka to have grown from making the same mistake in the Finals with the Celtics.

We'll get there.

#5 Mathloom, Feb 21, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    gotsis, cryout75, Yojimbo and 11 others like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It feels like a situation if you were in the Office you need time off .....

He needs to get his head straight, forgetting about his 2nd overall draft position....his Ego will ruin him....KPJ would have had the same problems under Ime Udoka.

• Start from scratch.
    • Niche out his role.....no matter on the Rockets or on the new team.
    • He can make rebounding his very good skill (not convinced it is an elite skill)
    • Re-work his shooting mechanics and better it on his own, not demanding it to the shooting coach.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You are no 6th Fapper, you are being misused, have to move you to Numero Uno fapper.

DeBeards, BigggReddd and Jontro like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

breh even at 13 im already a veteran award winning fapper

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

lol

napalm06, DaDakota and cml750 like this.
  11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

For a lot of players, this is around the age when a coach and an organization find out which guys are willing to accept criticism, take responsibility, and improve where they need to — and which guys aren't.

Arnel, gotsis, Ardeus and 15 others like this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he really is saying that stuff I hope we trade him. I don't enjoy watching that shot chucker anyway, but if he wants to be treated like a Prima Donna let some other team deal with his ego. I'd rather spend another year developing Cam and Amen with more minutes, and sign a starting SG who can actually shoot well from behind the arc and who has a much better assist/turnover ratio. Hopefully we draft someone from college this year, with more maturity and basketball IQ. It's taken 3 years with Jalen, and he still isn't a good starter.

Arnel, DeBeards, cryout75 and 8 others like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Or the point in the time line you realize that guys like KPJ or Jalen Green have it much harder to play in a rigorous team concept.

Their physical tools were hyped and magnified.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I haven't done a statistical deep dive on this, but it sure seems like Amen and Cam push the pace every chance they get and create their own fast breaks. This makes me less sympathetic to the idea that the Rockets are preventing Jalen from running on fast breaks by having FVV and/or Sengun on the court. If these rookies can do it, then why can't Jalen Green?

Arnel, gotsis, DeBeards and 23 others like this.
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Jalen described his game as a bucket. We've discovered its a dirty mop bucket of gross ass water.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It’s because they’re not playing with FVV as much. Udoka described FVV as “he tries to push the ball but don’t get anywhere “. FVV does a lot of things well but playing fast has never been something he’s done well. Sure someone can grab the rebound themselves and try to beat the other team the entire length of the court but that’s not a standard fast break. That’s a miracle play. It’s like saying why can’t Vince Carter dunk over his man every time down the court. He can do it but that’s a ridiculous way to design it. In a standard fast break you have your PG or big man a outlet passer and the transition guy is taking off waiting to get fed - that’s the fastest fast break.

We have to play faster. Not sure why this is so contentious on the board. Udoka has been saying we should play fast several times. The team is young and athletic. We’re at an offensive dead end. They’re not going to improve their shooting in-season. What else are we gonna do that has a good chance of working?

18. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

I don't believe Roosh first off. Secondly, I don't think he's used properly. Just like SOF claimed Sengun wasn't used properly by Silas last year. Same concept

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is "not being used properly" the reason why someone misses 90 of 124 wide open threes with no defender within 6 feet of the ball?

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good one. strong work.