1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If 2021 NBA draft could get a do-over?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Feb 18, 2024.

?

Who would be the top pick of the 2021 Draft?

1. Alperen Sengun

56 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Scottie Barnes

57 vote(s)
    40.7%
  3. Cade Cunningham

10 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Even Mobley

11 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Franz Wagner

5 vote(s)
    3.6%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I had Moody behind Jalen. Dosunmu has been playing really well over the last month or so. Kispert is low upside but looks like a guy who can probably stick around the league for a couple more contracts and fill a role on a good team. If you disagree that's fine and I get the argument for Jalen still having a higher upside than most but it's also not crazy to suggest those guys may be preferable to one of the least efficient players in the league who is below average at pretty much everything right now.

Another one I didn't list is Tre Mann who has looked really good in his few games since getting traded to Charlotte.

#61 ChillyPete32, Feb 20, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
  2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Interesting thought experiment - I would think unless you think you are a legit contender and are looking for specific players to fill specific roles around your stars, then Jalen would be the more desirable players even today. So MAYBE the Lakers or Pelicans pause if they are fooling themselves into thinking they are legit contenders but the floor of guys like Herb Jones/Austin Reaves isn't exactly the type of thing you prioritize as a lotto team. I would say if a team today think they can get more from Kispert, Grimes, Dosunmu, etc than Jalen, then they probably don't understand the nuance between floor and ceilings and will be a lotto team for quite a while. That's just poor risk hedging in my book.

ChillyPete32 likes this.
  3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

What do you mean? There is always a team out there needing to tank.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Don’t think I ever said that or even implied that.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jalen isn't below average at everything he has gotten to be decent on defense and really good on playmaking and rebounding. His scoring nos and efficiency have tanked but you just come out as a hater or totally clueless when you say Jalen has been below average at everything.

Unless you are a contender short on money you use the draft for high upside guys not role players like Corey Kispert. The draft was in 2021 but you use Dosunmu's performance last month to take him over Jalen? Lol. Ok so if Jalen somehow blows up the month after the ASB(something he has historically done) then that means he goes over Sengun and Barnes in a redraft? Ridiculous.

Corey Kispert is 24 yrs old and shooting 36% from 3, very few (ie dumb) teams would pick him over Jalen Green in a redraft. You know what Aaron Holiday is shooting from 3 while making less than Kispert? 40%.

#65 roslolian, Feb 20, 2024
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then you'd be thrilled to have him come off the bench because you think he is such a good defender......

2nd Unit would love to have a good defender....:)

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

I'm OK with him coming off the bench nobody who is shooting 53% TS deserves to start. Amen has earned the starting spot IMO I don't think he has a bad game as a starter so far.

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

ppl here dont know that Barnes is already on the all-star team

Dobbizzle likes this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

Personally not a Barnes fan, but if polled outside of Rockets fans, I'm guessing Barnes would go first.

10. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Jalen has improved on those areas but he's not decent defensively or really good as a playmaker or rebounder. More like passable on defense and okay playmaking and rebounding.

Dosunmu has generally been a better overall player than Jalen through their careers so far. I was pointing out the last month he's playing especially well and showing upside.

Kispert is 6-6 (i.e. not 6'0) and has a career 38% 3pt% and 62% TS. I don't watch enough Wizards hoops to have a strong opinion but based on the times I have watched them I'd guess if you got him on a team with better catch and shoot looks he gets closer to 40% again.

I bet Kipert's next deal is for more than Jalen's next deal. Dosunmu got a 3/21 extension over the offseason in RFA and right now looks more valuable than when he signed it. I bet his next deal beats Jalen's as well.

#70 ChillyPete32, Feb 20, 2024
  11. maypk

maypk Member

And you probably don't know dude who averages nearly 20/15/10 on a winning team didn't make it to ASG in the West because KD, Lebron, AD, and PG have to be there no matter what.

If Barnes was playing in the West, he wouldn't even be in a conversation to be an All-Star. He averages identical numbers to Sengun on a 19-36 team.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think your post kind of implied you couldn't believe people would take Sengun over Barnes.

13. ths balla

ths balla Member

I certainly laughed at the posts suggesting Sengun(huge fan) would go over Barnes, funny how homerism takes over.

14. Strawberry Gum

I'm Canadian, I've watched a lot more Scottie games than most people here. He is a skilled player but I don't think he has the potential to lead a contender ever. He tends to hide at big moments.

grednotto and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the two guys are objectively close. I wouldn't laugh at either choice.

16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I’m sure some would, though it is surprising so many here would. Pretty sure all execs would go Barnes too. A wing that had the tools to be a 2 way superstar guard is a way safer and better bet to build with or around then a big who has not shown the ability to shoot and might never be even a good defender.

glimmertwins and ths balla like this.
  17. ths balla

ths balla Member

exactly

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I guess Barnes would be a safer pick if a GM is afraid to lose his job. I agree that it's harder to build around a big than a wing in today's NBA. But the thing is, the past three MVPs were all bigs. A team that built around a big just won a championship.

Your descriptions of the two players ("a wing that looks to be a 2 way superstar"; "a big who has not shown the ability to shoot and might never be even a good defender") are too simplistic and flat out speculative. The fact is, neither of them is a 2 way superstar yet. Any projection is just subjective speculation.

If you look at the objective data, Sengun scores more at higher efficiency, has higher rebounding percentage and assist percentage. While I don't believe there's any reliable data for individual defense, Sengun has higher defensive WS and higher DBPM.

The only things Barnes is better than Sengun are 3pt% and FT%.

I don't know how you can say Barnes is clearly better.

19. maypk

maypk Member

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Hence, "a wing that looks to be a 2 way superstar" vs "a big who has not shown the ability to shoot and might never be even a good defender" comparison.

Although it's funny 1 year younger "big who has not shown the ability to shoot" has better and more efficient individual stats on a better team.

clutchdabear, Easy and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I get the point but don't really buy that just because Jalen has a very small but non-zero chance of becoming a star that makes him more valuable to ~27 NBA teams than every single player whose chances of becoming a star are basically zero. Herb Jones is a key piece for a team that is 3 games out of having home court advantage in the first round.

Like Jordan Poole is an absolute disaster right now but he's two years removed from scoring 18.5 on 60% TS for an NBA championship team as a 22 year old. He's a guy who in theory could conceivably be an all NBA player if he somehow got it back together. But no team to almost no team right now would rather have Poole over many guys who almost certainly aren't going to make all NBA going forward in their careers like Aaron Gordon, Walker Kessler, Devin Vassell, Naz Reid, Anunoby, Tyler Herro, Alex Caruso, and on and on.

Would you trade Jabari, FVV, or idk even Jeff Green for Poole?