1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2023/24 European Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Jul 3, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hopefully not.

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

wat
    i thought klop is goated

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's good for German football for someone else to win the league...especially one that's never won it before. Has me more interested in watching than I had been before. Only shame is that Bayern will then buy all of their players and probably their coach, too.

4. Raz

Raz Member

Klopp won't just take the next job come summer, so that's no option. Tuchel could be Klopp's successor though, as he was before in Mainz and Dortmund.

Leverkusen can have the league, if we'd show-up in the Champions League, but that's asking too much these days, I guess. Other than that, the one really intriguing player from Leverkusen, Florian Wirtz, has been a topic in Munich way before.

Some obvious takes for Bayern's future:
    + Keep Neuer and Müller for at least two more years as veteran presence
    + Build around de Ligt, Kimmich, Coman, Kane and Musiala
    + Develop Tel, Pavlovic and Buchmann (still has to prove)
    - Sell Sané (inconsistent and challenging personality), Gnabry (also inconsistent, apparentely one of Mbappé's replacements at PSG), Upamecano (great guy but not made for the big matches), Goretzka (desperately needs a fresh start) and Davies (stagnating and injury prone)

Jontro and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I agree with everything except I would keep Davies...love his speed.

Raz likes this.
  6. leroy

As a United fan, I pray Liverpool hires Teuchel.

Aren't the rumors that he wants out because he wants to play more as a winger instead of a back? I'd kill to have him on United but it seems like Real is the more likely destination. How would any team be able to manage defending Real's left side if they were to sign Davies and Mbappe?

Raz and Jontro like this.
  7. Raz

Raz Member

Valid point and I have no issue overpaying him due to the 2026 marketing potential. Still don't like his defensive and mental breakdowns, plus he hasn't improved in one single aspect of his game for years now. Would prefer Theo Hernandez as our left back.

I guess he understands that the elite teams have better options on the wing. Not sure if Real is able to pay him, now that they have to sell their soul for Mbappé. Other than that, Real's own left side would be a huge liability on defense, since Mbappé doesn't play any at all and Davies has been clowned by mediocre Bundesliga players lately.

8. Raz

Raz Member

... and they still won't fire Tuchel. Hard to watch this big club himself apart. Will take years to erase Kahn's and Salihamidzic's mistakes and the latest ones of course as well.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What are the chances that LFC hires Rafael Benitez.....

10. leroy

-1,000,000,000,000,000,000/1

But it would sure be comedic gold to see the lFC fan base go absolutely bat s*** crazy.

AroundTheWorld and daywalker02 like this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sad news. Andy Brehme dead. We had some mutual friends.

daywalker02 and Raz like this.
  12. Raz

Raz Member

Damn, German football can't catch a break. At age 63 too young. Brehme will always be the hero of the final 1990. Now three of our four World Cup winning goal scorers are gone.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Andy also gave us a very funny viral moment last year. @Raz, you have probably seen the birthday greeting video.

Raz likes this.
  14. leroy

15. Raz

Raz Member

Weird to announce that in February. I think he will be gone after a few more games, like van Gaal back in the day.

At no surprise Xabi Alonso is the preferred candidate to take over in summer, Zidane was also mentioned as an option.

With Tuchel, Nagelsmann and Flick now three major German coaches are in play for the biggest open positions.

#315 Raz, Feb 21, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  16. leroy

Apparently Ole Gunnar Solskjær is under consideration, too...but that seems like a weird fit. I think Alonso, should he leave Leverkusen, leaves Germany.

I agree that it's weird to announce that now...when there's a good chance they won't wait it out. Unless they're resigned to the fact that this season is a lost cause and don't see the need to rush things...and are waiting to see if that can, in fact, get Alonso.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18. Raz

Raz Member

Interim only. Zero chance he will get the position long-term. Other than that, it'd be really awkward after what really absolutely never happened in 1999.

Don't underestimate his ties to Bayern. He stayed in touch with the bosses after his retirement in 2017.

My guess:
    Alonso -> Bayern
    Tuchel (or Nagelsmann) -> Liverpool
    De Zerbi -> Barcelona
    Flick -> Leverkusen

19. leroy

This goal that never happened?

It's a joke name they use for him on some of the SiriusXM FC shows. Brian Dunseth used it and I always thought it was funny

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Raz likes this.