1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The 2024 Baseball Season - Things to Come

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Radricky

Radricky Member

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

But if an entity was fixing games because of gambling, wouldn't the fix be in for the underdog or the team with the least money on it so the institutions make the most money?

3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

This sounds like agent speak to me.

4. raining threes

It leads to the fact that it's a statistical improbability.

5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I suspect they have the numbers figured out.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

IBTL and kubli9 like this.
  7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I don’t know the law, but I would think Rendon’s comments would serve as at least a partial basis for voiding his contract. That’s really a shameful lack of class on his part.

raining threes, GOATuve and kubli9 like this.
  8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If the Yankees were serious about contending again, they would do it. The lineup sucks so might as well try to pitch themselves into games.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I mean, it's his job at the end of the day. Plenty of people openly admit (myself included) that they just show up to collect a pay check twice a month, and would quit my job in a heartbeat if it ceased to be worth it anymore. Granted if somebody were paying me "that" much money, I don't think I could look myself in the mirror if I wasn't giving everything. Even at my regular job I work harder than most when I could easily get away with less.

We all accept that players are in love with the the game and being their absolute best, but it's certainly not required.

raining threes and Pringles like this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

It would not. It merely emphasizes a balance to his priorities. Most people are more committed to SOMETHING ELSE than their job. It's usually MONEY and the job is just their only way of getting it.

MLB itself is not a Free Market. It is a Multilevel Marketing Scheme with every move restricted on several levels.

#530 Marshall Bryant, Feb 19, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

All players have a personal conduct clause in the their contracts; I’m assuming you aren’t under any similar kind of contract in your line of work but I think you know there’s a huge difference between an everyday job and being an MLB player. And there’s a reasonable expectation that someone being paid $245,000,000.00 carries some responsibility for protecting the organization’s reputation. These players are celebrities and their demeanor and personal conduct has a dramatic impact on the MLB brand value. Having one of the highest paid players in the league openly talking about how he doesn’t care about playing is unacceptable; whether or not there is anything the league can actually do about it is something I don’t know.

Stephen66 and kubli9 like this.
  12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They are stupid, but nothing that is going to get his contract voided.

I certainly understand his comments, but there is definitely a better way to phrase it.

raining threes likes this.
  13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is well said. I don’t know what the personal conduct clauses look like….and I doubt there’s any substantive legal grounds to stand on here in trying to void the deal…but it’s really difficult to sell overpriced tickets to watch a guy who says he doesn’t really care all that much. That’s a really bad look for the team and the league, generally.

14. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What an asshat and a disgrace to Houston as he's from the city. These remarks along with the no effort NBA all-star game are a big turnoff to pro sports. The athletes are obviously overpaid or have too much power in their CBAs if they can behave like this.

raining threes and GOATuve like this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I really wished that Rendon felt that way in 2019.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They had similar aspirations when signing Carlos Rodon.

They just lack good fortune, good health, and continue to prove the point that you have to develop quality starting pitching on your own to have the best chance of competing for an extended period of time.

They did nail the Cole contract (that looks better and better every year)... but the fact that they haven't made the WS in each of his 4 years (despite health, a cy young award, and Cy young level performances) does create a sense that they've probably already wasted his best years as a Yankee.

17. Nook

Nook Member

It feels like he wants to be bought out to me.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Rendon **** STAIN COMFIRMED.

raining threes likes this.
  19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Nikola Jokic says the same thing and he's the best player on the planet. Your job shouldn't be your #1 priority in life

raining threes and BMoney like this.
  20. Major

Major Member

Does MLB even have buyouts?

Yeah, I don't see what's controversial here. Does anyone think Altuve or Bregman or anyone else should put baseball above their family??

raining threes and rhino17 like this.