1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does owning a house make you wealth quickly?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by houston#1, Feb 18, 2024.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Agreed. See my post about IRC Section 1031. I hope the gist of my post was either to keep your home or keep rolling the equity into other, sound investments. Not boats @BigM although I guess if you bought a sailboat you could hobknob with some real goobersmoochers and once you're in with that crowd, if you can stomach the bullshit that comes with it, the money deals come easy.

If the math works, it doesn't matter what each line item is. It's all just numbers. Stop trying to scare people into buying -just- digital gold. You're also forgetting homestead exemption which caps taxable property value increases at 10% per year for primary residence. If you're paying rent you're paying the landlord's increasing costs, which are impacted by non-protected property taxes.

Do you mean inflation eats equity? Sorta....but you still have cash you can roll out via a refi or HELOC to invest more. Or just sit on it (dead equity). My mortgages + insurance and taxes on my properties are still better than what people are paying now for new houses.

Being a landlord is a little bit of work. Credit check and background check plus reviewing the applicants personally for red flags cuts down on about 80% of the 'work' (shitty tenants). Rehabbing your properties then selling before **** starts breaking covers about 95% of the remaining 20%. Then **** breaks, you have people to fix it.

I guess being a homeowner is work too, but I pay people to fix most of the issues that arise in my home now. My days of Clark Griswolding repairs on a ladder are pretty much over.

I am toying with the idea of painting my new investment property myself as I have a professional paint sprayer in storage and am good at cutting in, but I know at the end of the day I'll just pay someone to do that, too. I should sell that sprayer....

Find a good insurance broker and shop that **** around. There's no reason to stick with the same insurance company. It's like electricity contracts. Play the market. I just kick my broker an email when I see stuff is going up and they take care of the rest. They get paid to do it, I save money.

Andre0087 and Space Ghost like this.
  2. clos4life

clos4life Member

What's the average one has to put down nowadays?

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You can find financing at 5% down plus closing/ancillary costs. Again, lower DTI, good credit, sufficient income. It's even better if you're a veteran.

clos4life likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If I wanted to cherry pick I would have picked $115.19 in March 2020 and said stocks more than double every 4 years. If I am doing long term investing I don't care about volatility. I care about cost and return.

Being able to sell as little as I want is pretty nice as well. If you have 5 houses it's hard to dump just $20,000 of that to move in a new opportunity

5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Check out AAA.

I've had the same insurance company since we bought our house 22yrs ago. They informed me they were going to drop our policy because the roof was too old. So I made a claim and they pretty much denied it. Got a new roof and moved insurance to AAA. Our insurance dropped like a rock. It's less than half of what we were paying for the same coverage. Also moved our auto over to them and our car insurance is also lower. Because of the insurance change, our mortgage payment is dropping by $300 a month. I should've changed years ago

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

That is what HELOC's are for.

7. SuraGotMadHops

I promise you the landlord is passing almost all of those expenses down to the tenant.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I bought my current home for 250K in 2016, it is now worth 430K, If I invested the money in mutual funds, i think the return would be comparable, so I don't know it is a much better option than other investment, but it is not a bad investment option.

#28 pirc1, Feb 19, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. Salvy

Salvy Member

Owning a property is a wise and great investment, not exactly a wealth builder unless you are buying properties to rehab and sell or rent.... Yeah, property values go up but whatever your property rose up to is what its likely going to cost to buy the next property you move in to.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Sounds almost exactly like my situation.

My house will be paid off by time I'm 45-48.

Wondering if it makes sense for me to buy a second home to winter in, at that point. (Will hopefully be full time WFH and my kids will be out of the house by time I'm 52ish). I hate winters in my part of the country.

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

after paying off 2 of these size of mortgages, I will let you know if I'm rich, I think it's possible but in unflattering way.

I won't by anymeans finance stupid car even at 0%, but real estate is worth it (market dependable)

Ubiquitin likes this.
  12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yeah, sure, I'll drop 5 figures on a sweaty door-to-door salesman in a logo polo who knocks on my door at 7PM.

GTFO.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Quickly?

Ubiquitin likes this.
  15. pirc1

I thought about getting rental properties, but people around me have told me about bad experiences with bad renters, so I am sticking with mutual funds, i do have a couple real estate funds.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

how do you convert that 430k to something spendable? heloc?

17. pirc1

You could always sell the house and rent in your old age if you really needs the money I suppose, I don't have such plans. The only way for me would be when I am too old to live in my home and have to move to retirement home.

18. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You’re rich :p

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Bought our house at the bottom in early 2010 the day before it went to the bank. with a 20-year mortgage and paying extra, we'll have it paid off in mid-2025. Zillow tells me it has increased in value by $347,000.

With the kids gone, it's too much house for just Mrs. rimrocker and me. We'd love to downsize, but even selling our house at a good price, we couldn't afford the same quality of home and neighborhood in our town. Plus, given our age, the last thing we want is for things to crash again and be trapped in an upside down house. Plus, plus, the houses in our neighborhood and town seem to be selling mostly to investors who then charge 2-3 times a house payment for rent. I don't want to sell to those types, but undoubtedly they will make the best offer over some young family. Neither do I want to sell and have to bid against those people for a new house. Yuck. So, we two aging boomers will stay in a 5/3 unless we decide to leave the area. Still, in 18 months, we'll no longer have a house payment. Maybe at that point, I'll give in and pay for a yard service.

(What they don't tell you about owning a house is how much of your paycheck will go straight to Home Depot and Lowes.)

Surfguy likes this.
  20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like with compounding interest on investments, the actual exponential growth starts to kick in the longer you own it.

It increases in value, but "quickly" might be overselling it.

#40 Ottomaton, Feb 19, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    pirc1 likes this.