1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Let 'em ride

160 vote(s)
    65.3%
  1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

OKC have traded loads of picks and players over the last 5 years.

In the process they found an MVP level guy and are developing some of their picks around him. But they are also dropping others from the rotation and making moves on role players

The key is they have a 2way MVP level guy

MadMax94$ likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

It looks like the Thunder are going to be a real good team for as long as they can keep SGA, Chet & Jalen Williams and they have a pile of picks to improve the rest of the roster.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Since 2018 OKC has only traded away 1st round picks for other 1st round picks.

2019: Traded Brandon Clarke (#21) for Darius Bazley (#23) and a 2024 2nd round pick.
    2020: Traded Immanuel Quickley (#25), Jaden McDaniels (#28), and Ricky Rubio for Aleksej Pokusevski (#17), James Johnson, and a 2024 2nd round pick. McDaniels himself was acquired by sending away Dennis Schroder.
    2021: Traded Alperen Sengun (#16) for a 2022 1st round pick and 2023 1st round pick.
    2022: Traded Payton Watson (#30) for JaMychal Green and a 2027 1st round pick.
    2023: Traded Dereck Lively II (#12) for Cason Wallace (#10) and Davis Bertans.

They've traded loads of picks and players, but they are not making the types of win-now deals people advocate for here. They aren't "cashing in" on their picks, which is the whole premise of this thread. People are suggesting we should trade all of the Brooklyn picks for Mikal Bridges or the 2024 Brooklyn pick for a veteran role player. OKC does not make short term moves like that even though they are much better positioned than us to win. They've clearly been loading up on first rounders and building through the draft. I like that approach.

If our team were better and our picks could fetch us a player that could let us compete for a ring, I'd be all over it. But a player like Bridges might not even been good enough to get us into the playoffs and will be looking for a max contract in 2026. I don't see the point.

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm not advocating for trading all the BKN picks for Bridges

BUT it is worth noting that OKC don't develop all their picks.
    They are churning picks to see who works (which I am ok with) - looking at your list of transactions, they traded Bazley for Saric, who was expiring, but helped them win now. The Hayward transaction this year could be seen in the same light. I am sure they have made other moves too!

Again, I'm not advocating trading picks for mid tier players, but OKC have traded player picks for role players. I wonder if that might be a decent strategy? (Of course it doesn't work unless one first has MVP level player....

tycoonchip likes this.
  6. MrButtocks

OKC tries to develop their picks. Trading Bazley three years after he was drafted for 20 games of Saric's expiring contract isn't "cashing in" the pick. Ditto with Mann for Hayward's contract. Those players had multiple years of opportunity in OKC. It didn't work out for them so OKC moved on. The point is that they develop through the draft. They didn't try to immediately surround SGA with veterans, they haven't traded any future picks to win now. They're focused on the long-term.

40% of the people in this poll don't want the Brooklyn picks at all, before even knowing where they will land. That is not the same strategy at all. Brooklyn could potentially give us three straight lotto picks and people are willing to give them up to win now. Win what? Probably nothing.

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

OKC is in year five of their re-build. We are n SGA away of having a better roster than they have. OKC has done a fine job, so has Houston. Everyone should be patient. we are building through the draft as well, but if a stud becomes available with our draft picks you hop on it. You don’t have to have an mvp candidate right now if you believe one of o players will become that (Amen?). Bridges would propel us to a solid playoff team with plenty of cap flexibility and maybe a few draft picks to make your superstar push later if need be.

conquistador#11 and MrButtocks like this.
  8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I agree with the last paragraph you quoted. Bridges doesn’t propel you to anything. If it was the same caliber of player in two seasons I would trade for him then. When the team players range from 22-24. Not 20-22 right now it’s a waste of assets. You also don’t even get to see where any of the picks land.

What if the pick next year ends up at 3 and it’s a strong draft? That pick and a young player or two gets you someone good right there.

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I can certainly see your point. I’m not certain the Nets are going to be as bad in the next couple of years as you seem to be. Brooklyn is a draw for free agents and trade candidates. Simmons contract is expiring next year and can be used in a trade. They also have Phoenix picks that could be valuable if Booker leaves or Durant gets hurt. Just as side note if Booker want to leave we could put together an amazing sign and trade package for him

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Ive been thinking a lot about a Booker trade as well. Phoenix will still want to win next couple years.

Is a Booker SnT for Brooks and FVV possible with a pick going to Phx as well. Seems like some synergy there for needs.

Phoenix fields

Nurk
    Durant
    Brooks
    Beal
    FVV

We field

Sengun
    Smith
    Eason
    Booker/Cam
    Amen/

11. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

This next offseason, The Rockets need 2-3 outside shooters. It would be great if they could pick up one in the draft. Reed Sheppard, Dillingham or the Baylor guard all make sense.

MrButtocks and PatBev like this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

love it. It’s all up to Booker.

13. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Booker is not winning you anything

jcmoon likes this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No but Amen, Booker, cam/brooks, Jabari and sengun might. Who is this mythical superstar you guys are waiting for.

Little Bit and Corpusfan like this.
  15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Booker is one of the top 3-4 players in the League and will be for a long time.

At 27, Booker will be right there over the next 5-6 years. Probably not for us as we're committed to the rebuild.(If we got him, we would have to chuck the youngins and go after FA's...not acceptable)

But, it's wrong to say he won't contribute heavily to the right team winning a title or two.

16. MrButtocks

Sheppard fits our team needs so well. Lights out shooter with a quick form. Good bball IQ and hustle with insane steal and block rates. He and Tari on the floor together would be insane defensively. He's my favorite prospect and slotted to be drafted around where our pick is. I like Dillingham as well because his handles are elite and he's proven he can get his points within the flow of the offense.

I don't watch international ball or the G league so I don't know anything about the top prospects. Those are the two guys I want.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can you believe Sean Marks turned down the opportunity to acquire most of his pick backs (and multiple picks from other teams) for team going nowhere?!
    Can you believe Rafael Stone offered most of the picks for a quick fix?

[​IMG]

Firing Vaughn, I sense the desperation setting in!
    [​IMG]

20. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member