1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playing GM: From where we are today, if you HAD TO build around Sengun - how would you do it?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 15, 2024.

1. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Jabari, regardless of his position, has to improve on that to be more than a role player. I don't think he will be a starter if he doesn't add to putting the ball on the floor, helping the ball movement and creating for himself and others. Otherwise, he won't be a starter most likely.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Jabari is likely going to get stronger. Might still be a couple years out, but if he does, he's going to be a force defensively at the 4. I think the Rockets care more about getting Jabari Smith better to see if he can be a defensive force at the 4 for those years than they do about getting the most value out of him defensively now. Though, Jabari's offense is still not there to be a 3 right now.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I worry more about the defense and his 3 point shot than the other stuff. Jabari does those two things as well as I hope and he's a starter. The Rockets need playmaking at the PG and SG spot and preferably shooters at the PG, SG, and SF spot unless the guy is just great (possibly Amen). Jalen Green is killing the guys that need space and depend on others for playmaking. I thought Green would do better with KPJ gone and FVV in, but Green just looks like another KPJ at this point.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

MJ, Alpie, Lebron, peak Dream, Magic

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If I had to build around Sengun I would just resign.

6. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Jabari at 4 really worries me, because both Sengun and Bari are not good jumpers from standing position. You pay the price in rebounding and more importantly defending the rim. It would be ideal to pair Sengun with someone who is better than sengun at this. One scenario could be Jabari becomes offensively much better to offset this. That could work but I'd rather have a balance than having a very good offense and problematic defense.

robbie380 likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Jabari will be a better rebounder. He's was already showing better offensive rebounding prior to his ankle injury. I think defensive rebounding will improve with strength as he gets boxed in by tags now. I don't see him as a one-man rim protector. Though, I have hopes that Bari, Tari, and Amen can shoot well enough that they can be on the court together as a very switchable defense as well as share the rim protecting duties. As long as the Rockets can get a star out of those three, Cam, or elsewhere, I think Bari will be fine as a 4.

sydmill and AlperenSengun like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

To me , the best sengun comparison is Julius randle (especially young JR) . Sengun needs to keep getting faster so he can have 4/5 versatility.

Just like you wouldn’t say a player is harden (because he’s an MVP) … you wouldn’t say a player is Jokic (MVP level) .

the more realistic outcome is sabonis / randle impact .

sengun needs to have strong defenders around him …. And he might be your second guy vs #1 .

He’s not at DMo 2014-15 level yet
    That dude was the 3rd best player on a 56 win team

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Sengun needs a dynamic and strong PF/C to pair with him. Jabari is solid for a backup but he is not a dynamic player that can create for others or for himself. Maybe Bam Adebayo would have made sense to pair with Sengun but he can't shoot 3s. Pascal Siakam would be another interesting guy to pair with Sengun. Sengun simply has to develop 3pt shooting if he's going to be the guy you build around.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Stone should follow your lead.

Clearly, he has been feeling the same way for the last two years.

subtomic likes this.
  12. prs325

prs325 Member

Plant him at the 4
    Move Jabari at the 3
    Acquire a shot blocking 5 who can shoot
    Choose among Dillon, Cam, or Tari at the 2/3 spot
    Van Vleet or Amen at pg

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. fattz

fattz Member

Jabari is not being used anywhere near his potential. He can make things happen when given the chance. He is the fifth option now.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

pretty much where I am

15. TimDuncanDonaut

A note on a center who shoots and spreads the floor. It's still a minority of teams. The non-shooter spot is usually allocated to the Center, then you decide what 1 to 2 other non-shooters a lineup can get away with.

I think fans' perception is a bit warped when the focus is on top end guys like Embid or Jokic who can shoot. But majority of starting C's (or near starter) today in 2024, prototypically do not have range. It's a luxury but not a requirement.

Has Range
    ------------------
    Myles Turner
    Brook Lopez
    Joel Embiid
    Nikola Jokic
    Kristaps Porzingis
    Al Horford (now PF)
    Anthony Davis
    KAT (now PF)
    Chet
    Wemby (tbd)

Limited range
    ------------------
    Jarrett Allen
    Nikola Vucevic
    Clint Capela
    Rudy Gobert
    Alperen Sengun
    Jonas Valanciunas
    Bam Adebayo
    Steven Adams
    Deandre Ayton
    Jusuf Nurkic
    Robert Williams III
    Jakob Poeltl
    Mitchell Robinson
    Nic Claxton
    Wendell Carter Jr
    Daniel Gafford
    Jalen Duren
    Nick Richards
    Isaiah Hartenstein
    Walker Kessler

Majority of C's today do not spread the floor. If Alp can.. great, but if you're looking to convert more non-shooters to shooters, you're supposed to do it at the guard and wings spots first.

#115 TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 16, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
  16. clos4life

clos4life Member

Leave Alpi at the 5.
    Leave Bari at the 4.
    Leave Brooks at the 3.
    Start Cam, bench Green
    FVV with Amen getting more minutes.

Offseason though will depend on what happens with this lineup going into next season.

sydmill, cml750 and Ankara1923 like this.
  17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Trevor Ariza Jr

18. Nook

Nook Member

Sengun has some natural ability to shoot and I suspect he will end up shooting a decent percentage from 3.

Sengun has a really high offensive ceiling and feel for the game.

clos4life, cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Leave Alp at 5.
    Leave Tari at 4.
    Leave Bari at 3.
    Leave Cam at 2.
    Leave Amen at 1.

Leave Jalen at 6th man.

This line-up can't be worse than 24-30 WL. At least they progress and learn how to play together.

And also hire an offensive coaching associate. Not an ordinary coach but a coaching associate. Udoka seems needing something more than a mirror for offense solutions.

cml750 likes this.
  20. cml750

cml750 Member

I agree with this except for the Jalen 6th man part. He should be 12th man. The 6th man is still TBD. I like having Tari as a starter with him and Bari actually being interchangeable.

AroundTheWorld, sydmill and GotGame15 like this.