1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playing GM: From where we are today, if you HAD TO build around Sengun - how would you do it?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 15, 2024.

1. fattz

fattz Member

We need a super defensive PF role player type. Moving Smith down and then Brooks sliding down to SG. Helps the line up and is doable

2. JW86

JW86 Member

JJ Redick might be right, but Sengun definitely not there yet. We’re also not a stage yet just to build around one guy. I think we’ll have a better picture in a year or 2 when we can evaluate not just him but:

- Amen ready for the big leagues? - handles and shooting
    - Green still on the team or Cam? - both need to have improved across the board
    - Brooks still needed and providing defense and enough offense + maturity / sanity?
    - Jabari or Tari at PF? - can they shoot well enough, strong enough, quick enough to be the defensive anchor next to Sengun?

3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I’ve really struggled myself to slot Jabari into a position. I still think he is a 4/5 but only after a bit more physical development.

IF we play him at the 3, the “4” needs to handle the ball pretty well IMO.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

shenj, aquaman, bol bol as main front court rotation
    the rest are cutters and shooters.
    replace sudoku with a crazy all offense, no defense coach

screw defense, just outscore the opponents. 143-139 win scorelines are exciting.

robbie380 and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jontro likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah I do. Especially with the right pieces around him.

BMoney likes this.
  7. cml750

cml750 Member

He could be a taller Trevor Ariza.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You need a legitimate rim protector at the 4 plus 3 other lock down defenders than can consistently shoot 40% from 3. This roster as assembled will not maximize Sengun.

Preference would be for Sengun to take a leap as a player and make guys around him better via his shooting in order not to feel violated in having to trade every single other player on the team to satisfy a flawed ideal in that a poor shooting high usage modern center can be the entire focus of a defense.

9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Honestly, Amen / Cam / Smith / Sengun, on paper, seems like a great fit. We just have to be patient.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

What’s he talking about? Jamal missed 15 games and didn’t deserve to make it, and nobody else on that team should even sniff the allstar game

12. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Games shooting at the league average or better for their position:
    Jalen: Almost none
    Alpe: Almost all

Interesting.

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Jalen is 4.8 below his positional average and alpi is 3.1 below his positional average. Both stink efficiency wise but jalen stinks more.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sengun should teach Jalen how to make a 2 foot baby hook to help improve his shooting percentages!

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I feel like Sengun is going to get better at three pointing shooting. Hell, he's already shooting pretty much as well as Jalen Green, albeit in much fewer shots. He's improved dramatically at free throw shooting already. The work ethic is there. The soft touch is there. I think he'll get there.

I do still get sad when I watch Wenbanyama and think how perfect they could have been as a pairing.

HardenReturns and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. eman

eman Contributing Member

I see Alpi as a PF/C to run a high post offense through. On defense, he's frequently too small and out-muscled. I think we need a true C to share the floor and back him up against most starting units. Can't wait for Adams! Hope Alpi works on his 3-ball this summer...

17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

His free throw shooting is the worst of his career and there’s zero indication he will ever be able to shoot 3s. Its certainly not impossible, but there’s no reason to expect it

18. MystikArkitect

The only real change for me is that Chet would've ultimately been the perfect complement to Sengun. Or Wemby. Powerful weakside shot blockers that can shoot from 3. Mobley is another but he sucks too much on offense and would just clog the paint. Jabari is about as close to a perfect partner as you can get as well (JJJ would be the other). Jabari just needs to gain strength and work on his shot blocking. He's tall enough. I'd probably list them as:

1) Chet
    2) JJJ
    3) Wemby (chucker, glory hunter)
    4) Jabari

Others of note would be Bam Adebayo (cant shoot 3s), Lauri Markannen (cant defend), and Brook Lopez (cant run). Beyond that we need a Jimmy Butler/Derozan/Klay Thompson type that can come off screens and hit mid range shows with extreme efficiency. This is what Jalen is supposed to be doing but we all know why that isn't happening. Mikal Bridges is pretty much an ideal fit here and would be an upgrade to Dillon. Dillon is more than fine here being a 40% shooter from 3. Amen with a 3 point shot is a perfect partner so just need him and Jabari to flesh out. We absolutely need an upgrade at Shooting Guard. Would've liked the kid from Chicago but he's too ****ing small. Cam will probably fill this role but he's more of a 3 and drive guy than someone who can come off screens and curl.

OremLK and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. cml750

cml750 Member

So excuses are only for your boy Jalen Green? lol

HardenReturns and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

His ft% for 3 years are within .007. He is shooting at a ridiculously similar % and he is also taking 50% more fta this year. 'worst of his career' is definitely a bad way to talk about it, that is totally misleading. At worst it is 'he didn't improve his ft shooting'. That said he needs to improve on the ft definitely.

#80 AlperenSengun, Feb 16, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2024