1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playing GM: From where we are today, if you HAD TO build around Sengun - how would you do it?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 15, 2024.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's a hypothetical question, but in my personal opinion, it is what Stone should have started doing at the LATEST by this trade deadline this year, and he hasn't. Maybe he tried, maybe he didn't.

My starting position here is that I agree with JJ Redick - I know some of you don't, but I do.

The Rockets somehow stumbled into a guy who is THAT good, and for two years, they treated him more like an afterthought than like a franchise player.

But anyway.

We all know his strengths and weaknesses by now. Some people have dug in and will never give up their "but archetype" position. That's fine. Some people are still disputing that he is our best player. That's also fine.

My question to you here is - even if that's what you think - if you HAD TO build around Sengun from where we are today, how would you do it? Which players would you keep, which players would you target?

High-level, here is what I would do:

Trade Jalen Green for what you can still get for him in the offseason.

I guess he is still our most valuable trade chip, even though we are frustrated with him.

I thought he would improve, I thought he would be a good fit next to Sengun, I thought he would eventually lead the league in scoring. But I was wrong. I have given up on him. You need people next to Sengun who are great at shooting threes, who are great at defending, and who don't commit silly turnovers.

That's not Jalen Green.

If we can't get a legitimate star for Green+picks who fits better on our team and next to Sengun, then what should we try to get?

My current thoughts:
    • In addition to Steven Adams hopefully being healthy, try to add a tall, shot-blocking rim protector to either sometimes play alongside Sengun (in which case Sengun would slide to the 4 on defense) or to use situationally where matchups require it. Someone like Jaren Jackson or Brook Lopez or Walker Kessler would be ideal, not sure any of them might be available in a Jalen trade package.
    • Bring in players who are safe with the ball, bringing it up, and to whom Sengun can kick it out when doubled or tripled and they will make open threes at a high clip. I would still love to get Tyus Jones - he hardly ever turns the ball over and his 3-point percentage this season is actually higher than Stephen Curry's...having him would also make us much less dependent on FVV going forward.
    • If additionally possible on the cheap, bring in defensive-minded players in addition who are decent enough 3-point shooters when open. Someone like Alex Caruso or Matisse Thybulle.
    If we could somehow turn Jalen Green, filler like Landale and some picks into someone like Walker Kessler and Tyus Jones, I think we would be a vastly improved team. With another year of growth for Alpi, Bari, Cam, Amen and a healthy Tari (hugely important!) and Steven Adams and even just guys like Tyus Jones and Kessler instead of Jalen, Landale, Bullock, I would argue we will be a winning team next season.

Imagine this roster:

PG: FVV, Amen, Tyus
    SG: Cam, Dillon, Caruso
    SF: Bari, (Tari), (Dillon)
    PF: Tari, (Bari), Kessler
    C: Sengun, Adams, (Kessler)

I would go to war with that team.

But first, Stone needs to commit.

Commit to building around Sengun instead of diddling around and hoping and praying that Jalen Green will become a franchise player.

The Jalen Green experiment is over.

Commit to Sengun like Mike Malone committed to Nikola Jokic in 2016:

The sooner Stone and "the front office" do this, the sooner we will have clarity, a defined pecking order, and a path towards how the roster should be constructed.

What would you do if you had to build around Sengun?

#1 AroundTheWorld, Feb 15, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    HardenReturns, cml750 and clos4life like this.
  2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I don't think sengun should, or can, play a single minute at the 4. Unless you somehow get a unicorn center who can protect the rim AND be a really good 3 point shooter, you would be playing 2 people who are useless out of 3 feet. You would also have amen, who can't shoot. Assuming the idea would be to dump jalen/amen, you would need big guards who can shoot. It's probably possible to being a real title level team around sengun but at this point, because of his shooting struggles, it seems unlikely. If jokic couldn't shoot that team wouldn't work, and sengun is never gonna pass or be as big as jokic.

3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I'd actually stay the course, because we are already building around Sengun. I don't think Green's that tradeable (contract/performance it's bad money,) so let him run to the end of his contract and enter RFA, if someone wants him let them take him, or just let him go if this is all he's going to be as a player. I'd let FVV run to his 2 years too probably. Mostly for me the key is their replacements. Amen's a long way off a starting PG (looks more like a forward to me unless his handle improves) and Cam will be going in to his 3rd and looks more like a SF too to me. Either a defensive PG/combo guard (Jrue type) with a Booker type scorer, or an athletic scoring PG with a 3 and D 2 guard. Spend the picks, the works, go all in. Eventually I think Cam's an all-star SF for us and if Amen goes right (similar risks to Green with his bad handle and no shot) then we can always move the star we put in the backcourt for a better fit around his game. But I wouldn't want to bet the bank on any of our 3 high draft picks, they all have massive glaring flaws that have been known from the start. I'd put safer money on the more rounded/developed guys who inexplicably got much later in the draft...

Newlin likes this.
  4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

There is more to building the roster than just thinking about Sengun.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't care whether you call Sengun a 4 or a 5. On defense, you just need a shot blocker playing next to him, who preferably can also shoot from outside. I really hope Jabari can be that guy.

On offense, you need shooters and cutters.

I mean, what team doesn't need those players?

AroundTheWorld and napalm06 like this.
  6. Jags

Jags Member

It’s complicated and it all depends on Jabari.

Sengun needs a PF that can:
    A) Shoot
    B) Provide rim protection
    C) Guard the perimeter

A flat out unicorn. Jabari in theory is the perfect fit. But right now he is basically a skinny 6’11 small forward that gets bullied inside, doesn’t have the athleticism to be an elite weakside rim protector, and is a streaky shooter.

I could only identify 4 other players that would fit this description:

Jaren Jackson Jr
    Lauri Markkanen
    Karl-Anthony Towns
    Naz Reid

That’s it. That’s the list. First three aren’t even available. And Naz is an in integral part to Minnesota’s success this season so it would have to be a huge overpay. Unless we can find someone in the draft, it’s tough.

I’m happy with FVV, Amen, Cam, Dillon, Tari, and Jabari (as a 3) as good supporting pieces already in place for Sengun.

It’s all about that PF spot.

CHAMPBOY, AroundTheWorld and napalm06 like this.
  7. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

First off, we just got through seeing JJJ completely destroy Sengun. If we build around Sengun we're not serious about winning

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I would build incrementally until THAT GUY shows up.
    THAT GUY being a superstar that takes you to the next level.

Save your best assets until then.

In the meantime, shore up your weaknesses.
    We got to have a shooting guard that can hit 3's.
    There is no getting around it.
    If Jalen becomes that guy in short order, then fine.
    If he isnt, then you move smaller assets around and get someone at least serviceable from the 3.
    We have a big man coming (Adams), so that shores up another weakness.

On general, maintain flexibility. There is no way to know what position(s) THAT GUY when he becomes available plays.
    So it would be good if we were in a position to take on THAT GUY no matter what position he plays.

I think it would limit things too much to hold out for a THAT GUY who only plays a certain position.

I would like to see us in stealth mode. Ready to deal big at any time.

But now we come to, are we ready for that step? Would adding THAT GUY this coming off-season make sense? Is it too early?
    Is the rest of the team strong enough to take full advantage of having a superstar player?

IMO, it is a bit soon.
    But as early as next years trade deadline, we might be ready. Maybe not.

Getting THAT GUY and doing it at the right time are both important.

Corrosion and glimmertwins like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

reported

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

"What is France in the summer of 1940?"
    [​IMG]
    :D j/k j/k

11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I really love Alpis game. But I go back and forth on whether or not he is “build around” material. At the same time, he seems like the player you HAVE to build around to be effective. Or at least he has to be surrounded by the right players — shooters and cutters. I think that’s just a lost art and skill these days, cutting. Even when I see Jalen cut after the pass to Sengun, he’s not getting much separation and he’s lightning quick. There’s no one else on the roster that I’d even consider building around though.

I am concerned about how slow and indecisive he becomes for long stretches. And he needs some kind of 18+ jumper and not a one legged HORSE shot.

HardenReturns likes this.
  12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think we have the core pieces needed to compete right now with some seasoning. To me, the potential of Cam, Tari, Amen and Jabari playing with Sengun as a hub would be fantastic. Cam and Jabari have the potential to be great outside shooters and Amen and Tari could be relentless cutting to the basket and getting offensive rebounds.
    Amen, Tari and Jabari's length and tenacity on defense would also nicely support Sengun.
    Obviously, the Rockets need more reliable outside shooters.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

The rockets are terrible right now. We're not close to the stage of building around a player. We aren't a couple role players like Walker Kessler and Tyus Jones away from being contenders.

The plan should be the same regardless of if you're building around Sengun or not. Definitely don't trade away high picks for role players. There are plenty of all stars that were picked after the top 5 picks. That's your best chance of getting good #2 or #3 guy.

Most good teams draft most of their best players. That's what you wanna do. Once you have a team with a lot of talent, then you can start trading some of your drafted guys for role players that fit better. But, you don't want to blow your picks on the type of moves that just guarantee you a play in spot.

Also, just stop dreaming that you can trade all your guys that you think suck for players that don't suck. Other team's GMs have eyes too.

Newlin, topfive, Easy and 1 other person like this.
  14. a time to chill

We just need to surround Sengun with shooters and get a rim protecting backup big. I’m for benching Green after the all-star break for Whitmore to get him ready for a starting role next season.

fattz, hajkov and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

In the near term you add guys that can shoot and defend the perimeter. Bari, Tari and Cam all need to continue to improve as a shooters; no reason to think they won’t. We need to swap Jalen out with a high-level 2-way shooting guard. We probably need to add a 3&D role player for depth. And at least for next year, we’ll need to keep Fred because we can’t lose his shooting and ball handling.

Longer-term I’d add a switchy defensive center that is capable of playing big minutes.

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Games with 25 points or more

Jalen: 14
    Alpe: 12

Interesting.

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I missed the point of the thread.

You need one star wing player that can create his own shot, hit 3s, and create for others. The rest of the team can be mostly 3/D and slashers. You’d also need the right power forward next to him. I think Jabari could grow to that guy. Physically needs to grow into that guy.

I don’t think I’d change much abt the lineup now that we have Adams as a way to build around Alpi. Just need some better 3 and D guys and a slasher (Tari). Alpi has developed chemistry with everyone except Jalen. We need a Jalen type player, but better. Someone who has some elite skill, but way better shooter and consistent. Id consider a Donovan Mitchell type to pair with him. How bad is his defense these days?

18. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I need to see another year of growth before I can buy in to an Alperen Sengun centered team. His offense generation has to be consistently top notch to make up for the defense short comings he presents as a primary offensive weapon.

He had a stretch that looked incredible and then teams adjusted. Since then he’s looked gassed and slow footed in many instances. Will he continue improving his tools and conditioning so he can counter and become a 40 minute player or is he a spark off the bench.

He is a valuable player. I would not build around him.

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously JJ didnt here Stone's recent interview where he said he see both Sengun AND Steven Adams as starters. And with Ime being a defensive first coach, I can see Adams starting to set the DEFENSIVE TONE and Sengun coming off the bench to provide the offensive punch!

However it pans out, Sengun's minutes will not be as high as they are this yr. So if SOFs were crying about Bruno eating into Sengun's minutes, just wait until nect yr.

fattz likes this.
  20. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Sengun is not the guy you BUILD around. He will never be a #1 on a winning team.

#20 Castian Crew, Feb 15, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    shakes05 likes this.