1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clock is ticking on Jalen from Ime and Stone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Feb 15, 2024.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well said, exactly. It's like he sometimes just resigns himself to an "off night" and goes all in on that concept. He's going to end up more and more off the court.

cml750 likes this.
  2. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Maaaaan I totally agree with you. I watch him and I hope he does things well, but too many times he is missing wide open looks, losing the ball in crucial moments where we need our SG to go get a bucket or a foul, and he is not playing decent defense. Im starting to give up on him. These last few games with no FVV was his time to show something and he looked really bad out there. I can see Ime starting to 'let him know' he is not getting it done by sitting him so much. Im starting to realize Jalen is just another one of the new type young players. They have some occasional offensive highlights and think they are really doing it out there, but they have no consistency and dont do much else to help winning. I feel like the writing is on the wall.... We will see how things look after the break.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The center would have to be a rim protector and surrounded by 3 point shooting to be champion level.

My chart was KD.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Interesting because KD is really really good but couldn't win a championship except when he joined the Warriors.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

I've been right about pretty much everything from the time Harden got on that pedestal & quit in that interview. From the Silas hiring being a tank, not taking another superstar just picks from the Harden trade, to the Wall contract being a GOOD thing, to the Dillon Brooks signing being a great pick up etc..I took unpopular position and Stone ended up with a successful rebuild in 3 years.

What unpopular positions have you EVER taken that ended up right?

6. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

You keep doing that "4th year" bullshit, he played in a 15 game G league season. Remember when you were trying to act like KPJ was in his second year when it was his 4th? You're literally going against your own bizarre logic.

Believe It! likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

What player was your shot chart from?

I think its safe to say that one "star" is not enough.

8. MystikArkitect

Wtf is up with this guy all of a sudden tweeting about how he told Jalen some secrets about Reggie Miller/Rip Hamilton and now this innocuous exchange suddenly bubbling to the surface. Almost like he's trying to get ahead and say he had "inside knowledge" to a dustup that he knows is about to happen. Wonder if he frequents with a certain podcaster that may have already been floated stuff.

joshuaao likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

LMFAO you just listed everything you've been wrong about idiot. congrats on snitching on yourself in 5K hahahahahhah "my boi"

oh man laughing at you is just a joy. its so easy

10. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

There's a lot of overcomplicated discourse about Jalen.

He's progressed significantly defensively. He's progressed incrementally as a facilitator, decision-maker, and rim finisher.

But he's not a good shooter. 34%, 34%, and 28% the last 3 years on a high volume of catch and shoot 3's. That ends the discussion. Doesn't need to go deeper than that. There isn't a path for a player of his build and attributes to be a meaningful player in the league as that kind of shooter in his first 3 years.

The page has already been turned.

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Fully endorse Ime's comments about putting competitors on the floor. And there's no draft pick number that exempts anyone on the team from that standard.

I'll repeat my advice to everyone here: Go back and watch Jalen off the ball, on both offense and defense. In recent games where he's thought to have improved his performance, I sometimes see signs of him doing a bit more. But for the most part, his passivity, compared to his teammates, is striking. You can almost see his brain clicking on and off depending on whether he has the ball, or on whether he thinks he's about to get it in a fast break.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

what do u think Jalen’s value is assuming most GM’s would share that thinking?

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It was Hakeem.

It's always a team effort.

But I think you need to build around your best player(s). Jalen is unfortunately not good enough to build around.

My personal opinion is that it's been almost three years. Stone should have built around Sengun much earlier, but fine, we are where we are.

DaDakota, clos4life and Verbal Christ like this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He went pro that year and he was paid like a pro. The G-League is a pro league.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

It also seems like his valleys have become 4 or 5 games wide, with the peaks being 2-3 games. By now he should be having 3 or 4 good games to every poor one.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't give a flying **** that it was 15 games it was a YEAR of DEVELOPMENT as a PROFESSIONAL - he is in his 4th year as a PROFESSIONAL player, and he is still horrid on D, inconsistent on O, he is what he is....he had his chance has been paid MILLIONS of dollars to basically stagnate....

Time to move on...sorry if it hurts his fans feelings....but this is PRO Ball you reward those that get better and you jettison those that don't.

Basketball wise, KPJ was and IS still a better player, we should have never drafted Green when Mobley was clearly the better pick.

It is worse than that, if he plays a team that is good and plays D, he sucks, if he plays a lousy team he thrives.

DD

#116 DaDakota, Feb 15, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    Plowman likes this.
  17. TimDuncanDonaut

In case folks weren't on Rockets Watch. The general background (according to Roosh) was that Jalen saw one (or several of) Roosh's tweets (likely criticisms), it provoked enough of a reaction where Green slid into Roosh's DM.

Roosh gave Jalen his phone # and they talked briefly on the phone. The quote is from that phone conversation. The impression is that Green directly reached out first. So revealing it is whatever. If Jalen Green said it, then he said it.

Roosh has a large social media following and while he knows folks like Iko (on a personal level), I'm not aware of Roosh being affiliated with any news organization (i.e. Chronicle or the Athletic); he's a transactional attorney (clients include the entertainment sector), and thus one can argue some of reporter rules (on/off the record) don't apply. It was two people talking.

Os Trigonum and joshuaao like this.
  18. Rokman

Rokman Member

Counting the days to when Jalen is on the bench, painting his toenails in protest. . .

MystikArkitect likes this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Funny enough Dream came to mind because of the heat zone from the left baseline (Shake). Rockets were around 4th best 3pt shooting team during the first championship and 3rd best defense. Stats tapered off a little during the 2nd championship season, ROX were a little ahead of their time, but the blueprint remains almost the same today. 3&D.

Whether or not Sengun becomes a legitimate star remains to be seen. He's the best player on the team, but I'll go devils advocate here and remind everyone that last year both Jalen and KPJ were admonished because as the groupthink went "someone has to score on a bad team" I think some of the same logic applies to this season albeit on a more efficient team (maybe) and also being one dimensional from iso to PNR. When teams take away your security blanket what do you do? In Dreams workout session with Sengun he stressed the "counter" .. How will Sengun continue to expand his game now that defenses will not be caught off guard? If the guy could at least extend his jumpshooting to 15-18 feet consistently it would help everyone and thats completely disregarding how much more of a problem he would be if he were respected as a 3 point shooter.

B-Bob, topfive and AroundTheWorld like this.
  20. cml750

cml750 Member

You never answered my question. How long should they give Green? What would your timeline be if you were in charge?