1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jabrari Smith Truly Sucks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 14, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Of course but age got nothing to do with talent.....

You saw greatness in a 17 year old Jordan, you saw great leadership in an 18 year old Chris Paul....etc.

All you saw with him is switchability and shooting which comes and goes.

Imanimal likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You overlook that Robert Horry was one of the glue guys in the locker room besides clutch shooting.

Dude won 7 rings .....not a coincidence, he got major people's skills as well, Jabari is only barking at Sengün.

3. Buck Turgidson

Which is why I said "Rocket Robert Horry"...not Spur, not Sun, not Laker not whatever

Rocket Robert Horry...the Not Harold Minor

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not a professional basketball player or a doctor, but Jabari has stunk since he hurt his ankle. Not sure if it is a coicidence (i.e., he was just hot the first 29 games) or that the ankle is giving him problems.

cml750 likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Even that version won 2 rings.....have doubts he even win one without riding the best player's coat tails or on a super team.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is interesting but he did stink up his first 60 NBA games......so he has a very long way to go.

Basically he merely played 45-50 ish games of good basketball.

7. lionaire

lionaire Member

His shooting has fallen off a cliff lately but it's not all bad

AuburnRocket, Y2JT, Moe and 1 other person like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

most of you were never ever ready for a full rebuild. and yall still aren't. the unrealistic expectations and constant kneejerks for the last several years prove it every day

There's a handful of folks on this board that actually have an understanding of the process that is in touch with reality. I'm glad i see the typical folks whining. It means good things are in store for the future for this topic

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I know he says he is tough but that innate toughness I am missing in a few games.....

You can be inexperienced and be making sophomore mistakes but he is invisible sometimes......

The newer generation is really pretty soft.

He is probably going to be a very boring Rodman without the flair and with more shooting.

Losing games without much fire.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

You act like a switchable 6'10 with shooting isn't valuable lol.

17 yr old Jordan? Didn't Jordan enter the league at age 21? 17 yrs old is like when he got cut from his high school team or something pretty sure nobody saw greatness in him in high school.

Jabari at 20 is still having growing pains. He's in a rough patch right now but that's like most young players, he is asked to handle a lot of the defensive load and that's prob the reason for his shooting woes, just look at Dillon Brooks. The important thing with him is the shooting translates, he can work on that moving forward.

#50 roslolian, Feb 15, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
    AuburnRocket and Hank McDowell like this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's also 20. Guys not named Jalen Green typically get better at that age. There was nothing unusual about his progression. Player development isn't linear, but besides for Green, Smith is going through the biggest regression that any of the young guys has gone through by far. Maybe it is just a coincidence. His play is still improved over last year overall such that he should not be judged by the past 6 weeks alone.

roslolian and cml750 like this.
  12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Jordan wasn't much at 17. Little bit of hyperbole here....

roslolian, AuburnRocket and HD729 like this.
  13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jordan was still on the junior varsity team when he was a sophomore. Are you sure? Chris Paul didn't enter the league until he was Jabari's age. I'm not sure what we're doing here.

I'll tell you that the first year Jermaine O'Neal started he was 22 years old and only averaged 12.9 points and 9.8 boards. Jabari is at 13.2 and 8.4 boards at 20 years of age. And already NOBODY wants to be defended by him. I'm very optimistic about his future. I don't know that I believe he'll ever be a superstar, but I think he'll be a player that every team in the league wants on their roster.

Saeculum, AuburnRocket, Y2JT and 4 others like this.
  14. mario_v

mario_v Member

Trade him. He’s just a role player. I hate looking at him.

He’s just a constant reminder that we missed out on Banchero.

#54 mario_v, Feb 15, 2024
  15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I never liked these age arguments. The contract schedule doesn't care about age.

What matters is how far along you are by the time you are due for a new contract.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

it actually is relevant.

Bari being 20, he isn't eligible for his next deal until 22.

Sengun is eligible in the offseason when he'll be 22 next season and shown an extension is definitely a likely scenario and has earned the consideration with his 3rd year jump

JG. yeah well he's 22 now and in his 3rd season has regressed in so many areas and as a overall player hasn't gotten better. proving to not be someone worth big money into.

So yeah the contract schedule does coincide with age in the modern era

#56 YOLO, Feb 15, 2024
    Commodore likes this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bari is going to be a very good nba big. We’ve seen the improvement from last yr to this yr. I predict we’ll see more improvement the 2nd half of the season. Yes he still has a long way to go, but he’s only 20. He’s still growing into his body. I don’t see a star but I see a very good nba player. He’s not Chet or Paolo, and people are going to have to get over that.

roslolian, BonziWellsGOAT and cml750 like this.
  18. mario_v

mario_v Member

Some of y’all sound like some sad panthers fans that keep deluding themselves into thinking that Bryce Young is still the guy.

19. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

Jabari might not be good now, but he has work ethic and potential, much higher than of Sengun's or Jalen's. I feel Jabari will become an all star at age 25 or 26.

AuburnRocket, roslolian and HD729 like this.
  20. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

He’s alright. More work to do in the offseason.

Certain things you can never teach. He doesn’t have bounce (like, bad). Handle is still stiff. Self creation is not there but you don’t expect him to do complex things. He also might need a therapist.

He won’t be a superstar and won’t get paid as such. I’ll take a very helpful starter. But I cannot get past the idea that a 3rd overall pick in a strong draft pans out in an outcome like this, especially after a 2nd overall pick in a strong draft pans out in a possibly worse outcome already, on the same team.

I have him 5th out of our 6 “core”.