1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Referee Ed Malloy says last minute call against Brunson was a mistake

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Feb 13, 2024.

?

Was it a foul?

1. Yes

56 vote(s)
    58.9%
  2. No

39 vote(s)
    41.1%
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It wasn’t a legit foul but I DONT CARE.

we’ve gotten the short end of the stick plenty of times. The Knicks can catch a stray too. This isn’t the playoffs

darksoul35, JayGoogle, Hive5 and 2 others like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

NBA refs ****ing up…must be a day that ends in Y. ;)
    Which makes all the hysteria and uproar funny.

But all is on the up and up, right Adam?
    And don’t you dare criticize them or it’s $25K/$50K!
    And don’t you worry, Malloy, Foster, Brothers will be there in the end!

3. BreakYoSelfFool

Like a lot of times, even the explanation makes no sense. The contact occurred as he was releasing the ball, so his explanation of contact after release is garbage anyways. How can you make illegal contact landing in a players space and causing the offensive player to backpedal 20 feet but allow a safe landing. If it was that level of contact on a layup sure, no call; but the rules are different on jump shots. If you make torso to torso contact on a jumper as they release or even immediately after its a foul. Just because the shooter was able to avoid hitting the ground or getting hurt doesn't make it legal

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

FOH-stah's. AW-strayl-yun for BEE(h) (beer).

[​IMG]

Foster. American for corruption.

[​IMG]

J.R. likes this.
  5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Dear Knicks fans:

Nobody who chucks a ball like that, from a busted play at the buzzer, should go to the line unless the contact is egregious. It was not egregious. And it wouldn't even have given the Knicks the win. We would have gone to OT, where the two teams could and should have settled the game.

Also: The Rockets have been ripped off many times by similar calls, or in some cases by last-second no-calls. And the Knicks have benefited from dubious last-second calls or no-calls. And it will happen again, to you and to us. The breaks will even out.

Personally, I'm putting this one in my bank of breaks that went our way, to console myself for the next time we get screwed.

jelanit, IvanLCPM, lakersuck2 and 4 others like this.
  6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Like Paul George breaking Sengun's forearms swiping at the ball with no call?

Like the WCF with all the Warriors jumping into the Rockets' 3-pt shooting space, no calls, even C-Webb and Reggie Miller yelling, "How is that not a foul?" several times while Steve Kerr chortled into his sleeve?

7. alex_eg6

alex_eg6 Member

All I know if it was on the other side, we would all be livid. Just sayin

8. conquistador#11

These 'reports' are typically revealed the following afternoon, but for New York they did it like 10 minutes after the game.
    [​IMG]

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don't feel bad about the win, but if I'm answering honestly that wasn't a call I would have like to have seen been made. If it was the other way around I'd feel it was a terrible call. From different angles it looks like Brunson was off to the side of him and Holiday absorbed contact with his left arm.
    But whatever. I'll take the win.

Patience likes this.
  10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

[​IMG]

I'll never feel bad about benefiting from a bad call after this. **** 'em and **** whoever love 'em.

11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

It was a foul but NBA refs don't usually call that in 99% of the games.

Also NYK fans crying about how Rockets get away with murder have never experienced a game like G7 vs the Warriors in the playoffs.

This was basically a meaningless regular season game and can even be argued it might've hurt us since we're likely not making the playins at this point and every win kills our chances of getting a top 4 pick.

But then again your average New Yorker isn't exactly known for their smarts.

darksoul35, BamBam and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The bigger issue here for Knicks fans isn't that this was a horrible call, but rather that the refs don't see Brunson as a star player— not a superstar, just a star. These kinds of questionable calls are often witnessed against teams without star players. Welcome to the club of starless, questionable call victims.

13. a time to chill

This reminds me of that Portland game when Jerami Grant hit that buzzer beater to send the game to OT and people criticized Fred for not fouling. What happened with Brunson is probably why Fred didn’t foul. I wonder what players are coached to do in that situation because it could backfire either way.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  14. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

And this is why Harden doesn't have a ring or two with Houston.
    In the regular season everything is a foul, he stops the game and makes a lot of FTs.
    Then in the playoffs they just turn shoving, body check, moving screens or what ever **** into no-calls.

You are right. NBA sucks and it is getting worse to watch.

daywalker02, OmegaSupreme and OremLK like this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

It’s a mistake to call a foul a foul because it’s not usually how games end? Nah man, closing out recklessly on a game winning attempt is the mistake.

everyday eddie likes this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Finally got to see the left side angle, he clipped his pelvis in half. WTF are they talking about.

BamBam and everyday eddie like this.
  18. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Foul or no foul, if it ends with a Rockets win:
    [​IMG]

BamBam likes this.
  19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm fine with them saying it shouldn't have been called. They're not overturning the result, so it is just a lol@NY scenario!

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  20. Strawberry Gum