1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

If you see something, do you say something?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dankstronaut, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

"Hypothetically", you see someone doing something that's not okay. Like an obviously hurtful action.

Do you just WELP it's not my business? Or do you call them out for it?

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It depends on the situation. If I see someone speeding I’m not going to call highway patrol. I am though bound by professional ethics to report unsafe practices at a construction site.️

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Maybe maybe no

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I just called 911 after seeing this thread

IBTL, Andre0087, deb4rockets and 9 others like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

When I was in 10th grade a kid went to the bathroom and left his Beats headphones on the table (like 200 bucks at the time), another kid came up to us and said "y'all be a lookout I'm gonna grab those Beats"

I responded "No you're not, if you do I'll tell him and the teacher" his jaw dropped and then he threatened to whoop my ass, but in the end he didn't touch me and the kid came back to his desk with his headphones there. In high school, my friends called me Dad and Mr.Moral because I always said no to drugs and yes to vegetables.

[​IMG]

6. Buck Turgidson

7. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Interesting ethical/professional spin. Are you doing it only because you have to or because safety on a construction site could get someone killed?

And also, why the hell are people so unsafe on/around construction zones? I have to sit through a company meeting every month where they describe someone doing something silly and wrecking a truck or CAT or something. And it's always like "well they didn't look back when they reversed". Or the insane amount of effort that goes into trying to protect workers from the public? Geez just don't do 90 through a construction zone and kill someone, seems obvious and a reasonable ask but here we are.

I've never called highway patrol for speeding either, that's not in the obviously hurtful action category for me.
    What would your line be though?
    [​IMG]

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

nope. not bout dat exteovert lyfe. i stay quiet and go home.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it doesn't seem to work with Sengunatics, they just keep sengunaticking

Salvy likes this.
  10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

NOPE!! I do want to stick around and see the ending though!!

DeBeards and Jontro like this.
  11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I say something. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve called 311 or 911 on suspicious activities or drunk and reckless drivers. I’m not taking any chances. If you want to act dangerous, I’m going to treat you like you’re dangerous and let the authorities handle you.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This simple flow chart might be helpful
    1. Does something need to be said
    2. Does it need to be said now
    3. Does it need to be said by me

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I mean, the premise of this thread is so vague that it is impossible to give a line. Are we talking about a child dropping a candy wrapper on the ground, or someone commiting murder? Or something in between? It all depends.

So I'll stick with what I said earlier: maybe maybe no.

14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im from the cloth of snitches get stitches. So, even if I saw someone steal my car right in front of me, Id go about my day and not say a word to nobody.

15. Poloshirtbandit

Generally I don't say anything. Had an incident about 10 years ago where I didn't say anything and should have that still bothers me. I don't know if it would have made a difference, but still bothers me.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Technically safety on the construction site isn’t my job and if I spot something unsafe it’s not my job to stop it but to tell the construction supervisor. That said if I saw someone doing something really unsafe like a crane operator about to drop a steel beam on someone would try to stop them.
    Construction is inherently dangerous so safety has to be a priority.

Rocket River and Dankstronaut like this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

18. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I guess I'm asking if you see something worth addressing that isn't like murder level where you 100% need to involve law enforcement. Is it ok to tell someone to act right?

For one example, I saw a guy giving his kid a flagrant ass whooping in a target. I kinda just gave him one of these:
    [​IMG]

Thankfully he did. No telling what that guy was doing at home if he was that comfortable borderline abusing a child in public.

3 is the kicker. Yes, something needed to be said and yes, in the moment. Do I really need to go get a LEO or security to call out an obviously hurtful behavior? And what does that say about us as a society, that 1) people can just act a damn fool and 2) telling someone hey that's not cool you're just hurting people is also not ok? Or like I have to fight to prove what I'm saying to the offending party? Or I have to go get big brother to say it for me?

Idk man, I don't have a lot of faith in humanity lately and this past weekend did not improve that.

That's....a choice.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Depends. Need more detail on the situation.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Should have told him to take it to Walmart.

JuanValdez and ThatBoyNick like this.