1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka on Jalen Green's first career triple-double in loss in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 10, 2024.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If Cam finishes the season strong, Jalen may ask for a trade. I doubt he wants an open competition in Rockets training camp that he might lose. However, I think he'd be more open-minded to it on another team.

A fresh start somewhere else might do him good.

fattz, AroundTheWorld and DaDakota like this.
  2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Cry me a river. This is nothing.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

You are strawmanning. My expectations for him to last here long term with how rookie extensions work and how the future roster is coming together are to be able to at least average ~20+ppg on ~58-60% TS with adequate D. That’s not asking for Luka. If on a night where we’re short handed and he doesn’t really seem to have it scoring wise he can grab some boards, playmake a bit, and get hot against softer D for a short stretch like he did last night that’s a bonus but that’s not what should keep him here long term. Like maybe that helps him ultimately find his long term role in the NBA off the bench but that’s not going to be here.

4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Except Sengun lol

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Would Sengun be injured if Coach Ime wasn't always on his back?

[DIVOT]

6. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

Except Sengun/Tari/Bari/JGreen/Amen/Cam actually.

7. Nook

Nook Member

He could lose the locker room as any coach can - but I don’t think he will. He has a lot of power as a coach, and he is equal in his criticism of players and he praises them too. The fact he is very transparent really is what a lot of players like about him.

He doesn’t like it - but he is aware he has had a lot of injuries, his team is extremely young and flawed and that they have been poorly coached almost across the board outside of a couple veterans. He also knows this year means less than next year.

If they wanted him to win this season, they would have traded for another ball handler like Tyus Jones and a center and a shooter. They didn’t trade for any of them - so they want to ride it out.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I look at it like this - he didn’t shoot well and it is a problem. However, he found a way to contribute and impact the game when he was off as a shooter and that’s something good players do, find ways to impact games positively.

Green has not had a good season but for about the last month he has not been invisible as often and that’s an improvement.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Green doesn’t think he will lose his starting job to Cam or anyone else and that’s part of the problem.

Jags, Aruba77, snowconeman22 and 5 others like this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What does this mean? Are you saying he isn't working hard enough?

His ts% for the past 10 games is around 57% as a self creation guard while averaging around 25 ppg 5 apg and 7 RPG while having a +/- well above the team's as in his team does better with him on the court than o the bench. That's fine. His defense in pnr and on ball defense is a massive improvement and is above average for the entire season.

Also Can shouldn't threaten Jalen Green's spot simply because Cam isn't replacing what Green does on the court.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Green is an NBA player.

I wish him well.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

Another thing that is promising is Green's scoring efficiency in the past ten games at 57% ts is while having a below average stretch from three for him shooting below 30% from here during that stretch.

Hot three point shooting is the ultimate fools gold and we can at least say Green's past month of decent efficiency and high volume isn't just some hot streak and thus bodes well for sustainability.

BigMaloe likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, he's not working hard enough. It's year 3 for him and he's still an absolutely awful player.

Sure you can point to a small sample fluke, but his TS% is bottom 20 in the entire league among qualified players and his eFG% is 4th worst in the league among qualified players.....both career lows.

His WS/48 is 0.42, the lowest on the Rockets entire roster....there's absolutely no metric that suggests he's even a starting caliber palyer.

What Cam does on the court as a 19 year old rookie is already superior to what Jalen does on the court as a 22 year old multi year vet.

If he doesn't feel threatened by Cam, it's more evidence that he's a moron.

fattz, deb4rockets and jim1961 like this.
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The final 30 games, maybe so. But if Cam continues progressing, it will become obvious even to Jalen and his superfans where things are headed next season.

If Jalen is humble and grounded enough to enter training camp, lose the starting job to Cam and not demand a trade, my respect for him would explode. But contract issues might prevent that.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  15. fchowd0311

Nook you carry yourself and allow people to perceive you as an insider of this organization.

Are you suggesting Green has work ethic issues? You understand the responsibility you have given what people perceive as you being an expert on ins and outs of Rocket players and the front office.

16. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

No I get that, which is why I agree with benching in game.

post game interview is different though

17. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Is it just me or whenever jalen has a high scoring games the rox are doing bad, I’ve been thinking that this whole year

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Everything is fair game when you want to change the culture and prioritize accountability. This has been an organization that’s been winning 20 games for years. The change is necessary

ShiniKashi likes this.
  19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

it’s clear he’s not working hard enough

he FINALLY got the message and started playing harder . You can cite the last 10 games , how many rpg was he averaging before that ? If he is capable or crashing the boards like this / boxing out why has he not been doing that from the get go

and don’t tell me it’s because he’s been sprinting down the floor in transition … because he hasn’t .

he’s not average defensively . He’s closer to below average than he has been .

He could still turn into an above average player . Even a good player . Even a great player . He’s taken a baby step .

And we’ve gotten him a lot of help . Brooks and fvv and smith are all plus defenders who can help cover up for him .

It’s like he just decided to play hard the last dozen games because we got real with him and he was losing mins.

I don’t see the dog . I guess it’s smart that he’s saving his body and not trying too hard , but now we have more talent and more expectations he is having to adjust .

20. Nook

Nook Member

What does it mean? Green lacks a sense of urgency, and a lot of that was from what the organization pushed culturally up until this year.

There have been work ethic issues in the past, but those were institutional issues and not from Green specifically as he only could gage effort by those around him.

So no - I don’t think Green inherently has a poor work ethic and he isn’t a cancer in the locker room, he is just impressionable at times.

This is Green’s third season in the NBA. For players that have been given heavy minutes and are high in the offensive pecking order - players that are going to become stars most of the time show major improvement.

He has improved noticeably in some areas - but not offensively and not as a shooter. So he should have a sense of urgency at this point.

He will make lots of money and be in the league long term regardless - but when it comes to being an all star and long term starter, a lot of they is going to be determined in the next hundred games he plays in the NBA.

As for being concerned about Cam Whitmore - Green should be aware he could lose his job to Cam and be using that to push him to work harder.

Cam has lots of issues - he doesn’t consistently defend and doesn’t see the floor great and his effort can be inconsistent - but he is a lot less experienced than Green and can really shoot it and score.

Green’s future is largely in his control and the Rockets and true fans want him to succeed, but as time goes by there needs to be a sense of urgency.

I also agree with you that he is playing better of late and is being more proactive on the floor - he needs to bring that all the time.

Deuce and Losmi_34 like this.