1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

For the love of God before talking about other positions we have to shore of the d line. It's by far our biggest weakness.

ApolloRLB and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

They also have plenty of opportunities to re-structure contracts and they could very conceivably get starters through the draft. Rookie cornerbacks if they are selected in the first round have a decent record of being better than Nelson. For half the year Rankins kind of sucked. Schultz is a must in my mind. Greenard or someone at about the same price as well. The rest are meh. You are also underestimating the impact that Demeco had on the likes of greenard and Harris, who were disappointing before he came on board. There is nothing to say he couldn’t have the same effect on other cheaper options on the defensive side of the ball.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I predict the Texans will sign 2 significant defensive FA’s and Schultz. The rest will be journeyman or through the draft. Adding an expensive running back I not the answer. Improving our run blocking is the key to the running game. If that is not fixable we should go to a 70/30 passing system.

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

We have a ton of cap space because we have a ton of FAs. We can't even afford to bring back last year's team and we are in better shape than most.
    Spotrac also lost Cashman who is also a FA but doesn't show up on the lists..

raining threes likes this.
  5. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Check out my post before.... Don't think Nelson is coming back at that # and Brown is probably gone as well.

You are not anticipating restructures.

Posted previously
    played around with https://overthecap.com/calculator/houston-texans

Created $84million in cap space by
    (1) trading WR Robert Woods (or cutting)
    (2) restructuring Tunsil
    (3) restructuring Howard

That was enough to add
    (1) RB Saquan Barkley ($10M APY)
    (2) IDL Madubuike ($16M APY)
    (3) FS Xavier McKinney ($19M APY)

In addition to re-signing,
    (4) TE Dalton Schultz ($10M APY)
    (5) LB Blake Cashman ($7M APY)
    (6) Edge Jon Greenard ($14M APY)
    (7) bring back CB Shaquil Griffin ($3M APY)

Would need depth at OT, IDL, LB, & secondary plus vertical WR. Probably could bring back OT Jones on the cheap as well as Desmond King or Tavierre Thomas. Not impossible to do.

Edit: Point of clarification = this is not my plan, just pointing out the possibility.

houstonstime, Plowman and Hemingway like this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This type of off-season is what I expect. Remember we got tank dell in the third round, Achane was taken in the second I believe. It is not unreasonable that we might hit the jackpot with a couple of rookies this year. Most of our needs are deep in this draft.

raining threes and jch1911 like this.
  7. Landry's Tooth

Sure, but restructuring is going to create a cap crunch later closer when CJ gets paid and they are more serious contenders.

8. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

APY isn’t the same as first year cap hit. Often cap hit on first year of a multi year deal is the lowest due to big signing bonus and low salary.

I’d rather keep Woods who is useful for one more year and a mentor than take the 4-5M dead cap. Just fill the last WR slot on day 1/2 of the draft. Basically open competition between Hutchinson, Metchie, and new draftee for 3rd WR role with the other 2 and Woods as backups.

jch1911 likes this.
  9. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

agreed there are 3 major upgrades over Rankins available and one should be signed + Greenard/replacement.

10. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Bold = Exactly my point... plenty of $$$ IF the team wants to go "big FA hunting".

I think Woods could get traded to a PO caliber team (other than Htown ;) ) . He was brought into stabilize / lead the WR room. He has helped with that. Now we could use the cap space. But that's just me...

raining threes and houstonstime like this.
  11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

For more than a decade, cap grows each year tho (besides CoVid Year & it bounced back strong after that)....

raining threes likes this.
  12. conquistador#11

Fansided has us as the team that lands Jones and makes a push for title contention.
    While I would like two pick ups instead of one big balla move, being thought of seriously again is nice.

Feeling accomplished:
    [​IMG]

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

+5 mil to drop Woods.=58 mil
    Why are you resigning Brown? That can be replaced in the draft easy.

instead of Greenard/rankins/nelson (33) sign Barnett and Chris Jones or Madubuike (35) Chris Jones makes CB’s less important and him and Barnett >>> Greenard/rankins

Instead of Schultz/Singletary (15) sign Barkley (12)

11 mil to sign a CB and a kicker, and that’s without restructuring LT and Howard which can give you more.

Draft CB early.

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Anyone who thinks he’s not worth it must have missed the Super Bowl.

everyday eddie likes this.
  16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Which one? Haha

17. Buck Turgidson

Right!?!

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I've been saying Chris Jones for damn near half the season. So much so that when people talk about signing Mike Evans, Saquan Barkley etc I get pissed off. Chris Jones is right there, pay the man first. Don't even blink.

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Exactly. That kind of push up the middle makes WAJ an all pro next year.

20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I watched I and II. Bart was the GOAT.