1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Is JD Martinez a realistic option for the Astros?

raining threes likes this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

No. People are just bored and talking random ****.

The Beard, Stephen66 and Bregatron like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, not really, it's more of a "what they should do" than a "what they might actually do".

The Altuve signing was a sign that they were done this offseason. I think it ends up biting them in the ass because this team needs one more bat, but I'm not the one signing the checks and so while I'd shell out a bit more to put the team over the top....it's easy for me to say because it's not my money being spent to do so.

Salvy and raining threes like this.
  4. raining threes

They're hoping either Meyers or any one of the OF in the minors works out. If they dont workout then expect a deadline move for an OF bat.

mikol13, ryan_98 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, I'm just frustrated that they are going that "cost effective" route rather than legitimately taking care of the situation now when it would just require writing a check instead of giving up prospects at the deadline.

Then again, I'm someone who has no faith whatsoever in Meyers and only the tiniest amount of faith in guys like Cabbage or Leon being contributors this season.

I guess I'm just old fashioned in that I don't think the worst hitter on a team should be an outfielder.

#4445 Bobbythegreat, Feb 10, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Myers never got a legit shot after his injury. 3 GM’s hav believed in him. This is his shot. They are much more
    Privy to what he works on than we are.

roadtrip likes this.
  7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree with that and would add

1) there is much more to winning baseball than hitting.I think that grouping all 3 OF together does not make sense. A CF is completely different than a corner OF.

2) the CF position is probably the 2nd or 3rd most important defensive position on the field. Therefore an exceptional defender there can be better than average overall with a much lesser bat.

3) Meyers has never had an extensive opportunity to be a full time player and "win the job" but he has already proven he is very good defender and on the basepaths and has had long streaks of good production.

Last year from 4/1-6/10 representing well over 1/3 of season, 30 CF had 150+ PA.

Meyers was tied for 6th w/ 1.5 fWAR, 11th w/ 117 wRC+, and 3rd in Fangraphs' defense rating.

Last year he improved his K rate by 8% and raised his BB% by 3.2%

There is reason for hope that he can be that player for 162 games and be a 4 WAR all star level player as the 8th or 9th best position player on this team.

Last year Dusty sabotaged him by giving his starts to Dubon.

Stephen66 likes this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

A platoon bat in a walk year costs basically nothing at the deadline. While I agree with you I’d like to see one now, as long as it’s settled by the playoffs it’s fine. And it might be settled internally and that would be great.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You aren't picking up an .800+ OPS bat at the trade deadline for "nothing", but you could pick one up right now for just a check.

I don't truly think they have this massive faith in guys like Meyers, I just think that they don't want to write those big checks....which I understand.

My thoughts however, are that it might be a LONG time before the Astros are in this kind of position again, it would be a shame to waste it by cheaping out. I fully expect their window to slam shut within the next 3 seasons.

10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't believe the Astros have faith in Meyers. They were trying to trade him earlier in the off-season but teams kept asking for other guys. Meyers is a place holder so they can see how Corona, Melton, Leon, etc develop this year. If Meyers stumbles this year they can throw McCormick and Dubon in CF until one of the prospects is ready or until the deadline.

everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

My thoughts are that the team is fully expecting to lose Bregman, Tucker, Abreu, Framber, Verlander, and Pressly before the 2026 season.

In order to not lose a beat and keep the window open in 2026 but also for 5+ additional seasons, then 2024 and 2025 are the seasons that at least a 1B, 3B, RF, 1 SP and multiple RP who are not currently not established need to show up and prove themselves.

Unless Crane does an about face, giving out 7+ year FA contracts to players who will still be 3+ WAR players the length of that deal, then guys with 4+ years or more of control remaining need to seize those spots.

Signing a guy like Belt, Martinez, or Soler doesn't give give those guys like Cabbage, Leon, Melton, Dezenzo, etc the opportunity to do that.

No Worries likes this.
  12. roadtrip

roadtrip Member

I'm a believer in Meyers kind of … I think he'll bat at least .250 with a OPS of > .700. With his defense that's a WAR of about 2.5 or better. Not great but not bad.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that's likely to happen, but I don't think there's a realistic way to keep the window open much longer. That's why I say go all in and try to bag another championship before the inevitable rebuild.

I'd be looking to give one of those FA"s a big one year deal selling them on a championship season before FA again.

14. raining threes

I've got faith that one of Loperfido/Melton/Baez/Barber will workout if Meyers doesn't. BTW, What would you consider success for Meyers. Top end I see him hitting .250 with 10-15 hrs and playing good defense with a weak arm.

CisBuds4U and No Worries like this.
  15. raining threes

Or Dusty thought Dubon was the better player.

Dusty, JV etc... thought so much of Meyers defense that they requested Dubon in CF for defensive purposes in JV's starts.

#4455 raining threes, Feb 10, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What I'm expecting is something like a high 600's to low 700's OPS, maybe 10 HR's as the worst hitter in the lineup every time he's in the game but with solid defense. Basically he gets to be the new Maldonado/Adam Everett

17. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

What sucks is Bellinger, Soler, Martinez all won a World Series so they might be after the most money now. Martinez, regardless might only get a 1 year deal due to his age so maybe he's possible. Another idea and it won't happen is offer Bregman an extension(the most you'll willing to offer) right now. If it gets declined, you know he's out. Offer Chapman a multi year deal. Tell him 1st year, he'll have to split time at 3b/DH and come playoffs, maybe Chapman gets the 3b for his defense and Bregman goes to DH even though his defense isn't that bad. Then the remaining years Chapman will be full time 3b.

18. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

He got a legit shot last year and was ****ing horrible, and he will be ****ing horrible again this year because outside of his 1st month of his career when he had a .420 BAbip he has been ****ing horrible. .223/.290/.361 with a K rate bordering 30%.

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Thank goodness so far all the talk is about Dubon playing most of his time in the infield.

raining threes and CisBuds4U like this.
  20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Stephen66 and raining threes like this.