1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] Iron Man

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

So yeah, I know I'm way late on this but we finally watched it over the weekend.

I really liked the movie even though I'm not into comic movies too much. I thought the special effects were pretty cool but kinda over-top. It's a comic movie after all.

I never thought RDJ was that attractive but he was in this movie. Paltrow looks way better with the hair color in the movie instead of blonde.

I wonder if Don Cheadle will do a better job acting than Terrance Howard. I liked him in the movie so we'll see.

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

wow....

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Christopher Nolan Calls Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man ‘One of the Most Consequential Casting Decisions That’s Ever Been Made’ in Movie History
    By Zack Sharf

[​IMG]
    ©Walt Disney Co./courtesy Everett / Everett Collection

Popular on Variety

Christopher Nolan appeared on “The Late Show” for a lengthy discussion with Stephen Colbert in which the filmmaker heaped praise on his “Oppenheimer” star Robert Downey Jr., who is widely considered the Oscar frontrunner for best supporting actor. Nolan said he always wanted to work with Downey because of his “generosity” and “charisma.” The director went on to call Downey’s role as Iron Man, which birthed the Marvel Cinematic Universe and carried it for a decade, one of the most important casting decisions ever made.

“With anybody you work with, with actors…you’re looking for some kind of connection emotionally, empathetically,” Nolan said about being drawn to Downey. “You’re looking for some kind of generosity. He has this incredible generosity of spirit. It means when he’s in a scene with other people he’s making sure they are all doing their best, that they are all able to bring their best to the table. He’s helping them clarify those emotional connections.”

“I’ve always wanted to work with him. I’ve always seen that in his work,” Nolan added. “And he has such charisma as Tony Stark. Him playing Iron Man is one of the most consequential casting decisions that’s ever been made in the history of the movie business. I wanted to give him the opportunity to lose himself in a part, lose himself in another human being the way great actors love him.”

Downey was more or less looking for that opportunity, too. In an interview with The New York Times Magazine last summer, he admitted he was concerned his acting chops might be at risk while playing Iron Man for 11 years in the MCU. The actor debuted as the superhero in 2008’s “Iron Man” and was killed off in 2019’s “Avengers: Endgame,” appearing in a total of nine Marvel movies.

“You start to wonder if a muscle you have hasn’t atrophied,” Downey said about the risks of playing the same character for over a decade.

When asked if he had any concerns about what effect playing Iron Man for 11 years might have on his acting, Downey replied: “Yes. 100%, and I knew there was a point where Christopher Nolan was endorsing, let’s work those other muscles, but let’s do it while rendering you devoid of your usual go-to things.”

Not that Downey isn’t proud of his work in Marvel movies. He said on Rob Lowe’s “Literally” podcast last month that Tony Stark/Iron Man marked some of the best acting of his career, but “it went a little bit unnoticed because of the genre.”

Ziggy and Invisible Fan like this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

It took me several watches to appreciate what Rockwell did with the Justin Hammer dude. But I really liked that character after several watches and I thought, boy, they could have done a lot more with that guy. Think they dropped the ball on that.

As far as Downey he of course had a tragic flaw he could lean into, but to pull off the ego of Stark was not something I could envision. Obviously, he nailed it. Also liked the low key portrayal of the actor who played Starks Father in Captain America.

Noteworthy too is Tom Cruises intelligence to turn down the role of Tony Stark, knowing his audience would not want to see him in that role, and that he was not the right guy. It's all obvious now, but bowing out was soo the right move.

#184 PhiSlammaJamma, Feb 9, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
    Ziggy, Kim and Xerobull like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Rockwell is also a phenomenal actor, one of my favorites. There is a rumor he will pop up in the Thunderbolts movie and my grow into a bigger role.

PhiSlammaJamma, Ziggy and boomboom like this.
  6. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Loved Rockwell's acting and character in Galaxy Quest. That was a hugely underrated movie with an all-world leading cast.

Xerobull likes this.
  7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To me his masterpiece is Moon. It's such a simple movie, but he is incredible in it, with nowhere to hide as it is basically just him and Kevin Spacey's voice. The movie/story is pretty good as well, but it would have been nothing without Rockwell's brilliance. I need to pull that one out and rewatch.

Buck Turgidson and boomboom like this.
  8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rockwell is great. I feel like Prime Rockwell has been severely underutilized…just can’t get enough of him. He should be in everything

Xerobull, Ziggy and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

His work in Jojo Rabbit was excellent as well.

RunninRaven likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Sam Rockwell, Tom Hiddleston buddy cop movie?

Make it happen.

Xerobull likes this.
  11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Forgot to mention The Way Way Back movie for any Sam fans

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

That needs a mention in the "obscure movies" thread, that's a very nice movie.

I just looked at his filmography and he's pretty much made everything he's in better because he's in it.