1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO Max] True Detective: Night Country

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Apr 12, 2023.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Not sure what’s going on.

cwebbster likes this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Wife says that this season is only six episodes. Period. So I expect the next two to be pretty intense.

3. Xerobull

There's a growing sentiment in the subreddit that this was probably written as a movie and expanded to fit into the TD series, which is why there's been so much dull fluff in the middle episodes. Still, it's better than S2.

Ziggy likes this.
  4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Pretty good season so far, even w a couple of slow episodes. Obviously nothing could ever top S1 and nothing could ever be worse than S2.

Ziggy and cwebbster like this.
  5. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Honestly do no remember anything about S2 and even S3.

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This season is pretty weak. I cannot believe they actually had the guy say "Night country" at the end of the last episode.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Also some blowback on the Subreddit from the really bad dialogue in the show. Several people have suggested that AI wrote it.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

I remembered liking S3 but when I stop to think about it I barely remember a damn thing from it, Maybe S1 was just so magnificent that calling any of the subsequent seasons "True Detective" scrambles my brain.

clos4life, cwebbster and Xerobull like this.
  9. Xerobull

Jodie Foster as a 60yo grizzled nymphomaniac succubus that no man can resist is...uh, unforgettable.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Entropy

Entropy Member

Sounds better than the elderly average cop with Alzheimers who forgot he did that thing that one time.

Xerobull likes this.
  11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

considering that it was episode 4 of a 6 episode season i felt like there was too much going on that didnt seem to advance the overall plot. theyre spending alot of time on seemingly unnecessary character development (the convo in the truck between jodie foster and cheek-piercings was pretty cringey "i prayed so hard my knees turned black". the sub-plot with young cop and his wife...kenny powers brother getting catfished...maybe all this stuff will tie together in the end, but at this point it seems like the plot is pretty bloated considering the season is so short.

im enjoying watching and curious to see how it turns out, but theyre running out of time! and if wooderson doesnt show up in the next episode then i guess he aint coming.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

S2 had an underrated character and performance by Colin Farrell - he was miserable, his life sucked, and it was funny. It even ended funny for him. Coen bro-ish goofball.

Everything else was bad.

Buck Turgidson and Kim like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

I miss Cinemax...come on now?

Deckard likes this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I miss Cinemax as well, just not as much. When I moved to Austin in 1980 the city had enjoyed cable service for almost 20 years. Coming from Houston, which still had zero cable (at least that I knew of), being able to have it was a big deal. The summer of 1980 was when CNN made it's debut and Austin having HBO, as well as Cinemax (which also began that summer), was a trip.

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Cable used to not be on TV?

16. Xerobull

Lincoln logs.

17. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

So, because the superbowl is on Sunday, they released episode five today. Obviously this isn’t season one, but I’ve really enjoyed it. My fearless prediction is the actor who plays Peter Prior will start showing up in bigger stuff. Not saying he’s Laurence Olivier, but he’s more than serviceable, hes decent looking, and he’s probably the second most likable of all the flawed characters. He does something in episode five that will certainly be remembered.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Wire days.

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

[​IMG]

mtbrays and Blake like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True Bear Grylls. The Tsalal Adventures.