1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

198 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. Forward

62 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is not all about stats what he brings to the table, I think I would rather pay him 29 million but that is not up for discussion.....

You are talking about the Fred Van Vleet that is playing like crap in the last 10 ish games statswise.

He was much better in the first 25 games......

It would not be fair to him to judge him like that and Amen who has missed a large chunk of the season....

We need to survey full seasons. There is a world where we can acknowledge FVV and root for Amen to take his place.

#241 daywalker02, Feb 4, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Yup - Thompson does a lot of things that are valuable. When he cuts to the basket he helps Sengun. Defensively he is so long that he can cover the middle when he has to - and he is nasty in transition.

I expect Sengun to develop a 3 point shot, and once he does, he will be NASTY, and that will open the game up for everyone.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have high hopes for Amen, not sure about walking triple double though. Only Sengun, FVV and Steven Adams (?!) have ever had one on our current roster.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

5. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

He's a really good tertiary playmaker but my god, he cannot and I mean cannot be the lead guard. For everyone complaining why Ime lets Jalen handle the ball when Amen is on the court, tonight's game is enough validation. He cannot handle any pressure and gives up the ball way too quickly.

jcmoon and hajkov like this.
  6. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

100%
    You can't let a guy which main skill is rebounding to lead your offense.
    IF by a miracle he learns how to shoot mediocrity, he would create a little spacing, draw defenders...

Right now, with NON EXISTING skill of shooting, he is just bad.

Switching him to other positions might be even worse w/o shooting as he loses the height advantage.

CantStopJG24 likes this.
  7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Made some pressure plays tonight. Give him time.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Amen is already an elite defender, an exceptional rebounder for a PG, has great floor vision and is good at beating defenders off the dribble. He's also a very smart player for a fresh rookie.

Amen needs the seasoning of starting in place of FVV to help him catch up from the games he missed while injured and sick. Playing heavy minutes against starters should force him to polish his game and make better decisions.

Looking into the future, I have little doubt he'll tighten up his handles and become an even better distributor and creator. The key for him is developing a serviceable jumper.

9. BonziWellsGOAT

That dude is working an agenda

10. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Amen is going to be an important player going forward. He may never average 20+ points a game but I could see him being a complete force on every other aspect of the game.

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Great game for the kid tonight. Still worried about that complete lack of shot though.

IvanLCPM likes this.
  12. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Amen was outstanding. Future DPOY candidate. In 2 years he will be an absolute monster. Elite vision. Can't keep him out the paint. Relentless effort. Can't keep him off the boards. If you can't see what this kid will become in a couple of years it's because you don't want to.

13. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Point forward?

Point guard?

Amen is ON POINT!

His shot isn’t, though. Keep working on it, kid!

BaselineFade, kpdark and IvanLCPM like this.
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Amen is a PG who can defend multiple positions. That's who he is.

Nook, BaselineFade, IvanLCPM and 3 others like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

His weak handles gave me concern earlier in the season.

But my goodness what he's shown since then. His defense is amazing. He fits much better with Sengun than Jalen does because he actually moves off the ball and gives cutting lanes to the big man. His rebounding is phenomenal. He also rebounds in traffic and grabs multiple contested rebounds. Those double digit rebound games from Jalen - I'd guess one at most was a contested rebound.

Even without an outside show he's going to be real damn good in the future. I pray he can develop one though because if he does.. yikes.

Cam and Amen in the backcourt is going to wreak havoc as early as next season hopefully.

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

If he develops a 17ft middy, he’s gonna be nice.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Amen, Cam, Sengun, Bari, Tari. Keep them together for 4-5 yrs and watch out.

IvanLCPM, Y2JT, slothy420 and 3 others like this.
  20. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Amen definitely has the highest ceiling of all our young guys. This guy just knows how to play the game. He's bball IQ is great always in the right spot. If he can just become a decent 3 point shooter the league needs to watch out.

HD729, "Hail Hydra" and BaselineFade like this.