1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Former Rocket Earl Cureton Passes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AggieRocketFan96, Feb 4, 2024.

1. AggieRocketFan96

2. Nook

Nook Member

Damn time flies

MadMax and Patience like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Damn, RIP. The times he was in was crucial during that championship playoff run.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  5. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Aww man. RIP

6. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RIP he was a good role player who could come
    In for Horry, Thorpe or even Dream. While he wasn’t a star he still contributed important minutes to those championship teams.

8. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

RiP but no offense, I don't remember this guy at all and I watched ALL of the Rockets games as a child during the championship era.

Can anyone who goes back to that era and before fill me in on who he was and what kind of role he played on the team (and in the NBA in general during his career)? Was he just an IR slot? Again, I don't remember him AT ALL.

Hope I don't come off as disrespectful, just puzzled about this guy's origins and contributions.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He hardly played for us, but I was more shocked when I read about this that he was only 66 years old. I think he was pretty old when he got to us. I think I always remember him as a Piston, but he won rings with the Rockets and Sixers.

10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Dont feel bad. I remember him as a player, but have NO recollection of him with the Rockets. I looked it up. He played 2 games and scored twice over a 3 day period in April. He apparently did a little more in the playoffs, but I don't remember it either. Not exactly a key member of the organization, but he did have a pretty good run as a professional basketball player.

11. Rockets34Legend

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

For those who don't remember him as a Rocket, he played in only two regular season games for a total of 30 minutes, scored 4 points.

He did have some spot minutes in the playoffs against Phoenix and Utah.

hlmbasketball, Bruce and SamFisher like this.
  13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

10 playoff games during our first championship. 18 pts and 29 rebounds. Shot 80% from the field. Key contributor.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Earl Cureton and Chris Jent joined aroudn the same time. He took Eric Riley's spot on the playoff roster (eric riley was the 6th man on the fab 5 a few years there)

This has been OLD GUYS REMEMBERING THINGS

#14 SamFisher, Feb 5, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    Easy likes this.
  15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nonsense. Old guys don't remember anything.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Undersized try-hard inside player.

He was never much of an NBA player, but was well past his prime by the time he was here.

17. LoneStarDawg

LoneStarDawg Member

Yup, the Rockets had Tree Rollins as Olajuwon's back up previous years but he left for the Magic. Earl Cureton was brought on board as a veteran presence for the playoff run at the end of the '94 regular season instead of relying on the rookie Eric Riley. Chris Jent took on Bullard's sharpshooting roll. The Rockets had done the same thing in '93 as well, bringing in the veteran Terry Teagle to take Kennard Winchester's spot for the playoffs and Winchester was not happy about that. In '95 Charles Jones took over the roll that Earl Cureton had played in '94. I remember seeing an interview in the locker room after one of the games in '95 where Earl Cureton surprised the team with a visit to wish them well and Sam Cassell was joking with him that if he's here to secure a short contract to get another ring, it's too late because they already got Charles Jones!

Easy likes this.
  18. Rockets34Legend

19. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

RIP “Twirl”. You just dug up some old memories brother. I remember when we traded for Riley and my uncle was adamant that we should have just kept Popeye. RIP unc. :(

20. PhiSlammaJamma

What will happen when Kevin Willis passes?