1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now that we have our future All Star back court...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Feb 3, 2024.

1. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

This is going to be a hot take especially for the youngins, but Amen is dominant enough inside the arc I am not so sure he needs to develop a three point shot :eek:

it would be nice to have but there is an argument to be made that the further you pull him away from the rim the more you diminish him. He reminds me a bit of Shawn Marion, who was death to other teams for a good while.

Y2JT and OremLK like this.
  2. PatBev

PatBev Member

Amen, Cam, Tari, and Adam’s gonna be a fun ass bench next year

Bo6 and Stephen_A like this.
  3. 34to11

34to11 Member

Thank you.

I guess it's to be expected that casual fans would be enamored with the point production because it is impressive.
    But to completely overlook the glaring holes in their games is foolish.
    There is absolutely no need to throw them in the deep end less than one season into their careers. Especially when you have talent in place that allows you to be patient.

I don't know why this fan base repeatedly insists on skipping steps.

4. cml750

cml750 Member

[​IMG]

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I can't overstate how much I want to see the progression of the 6 rookies more than I want to be a team desperately trying to trade for stars again. I want a homegrown dynasty, not another Harden Era treadmill.

6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Let's pump the brakes here a bit... Cam barely understands what defense is and hasn't seen a shot he doesn't want to immediately take while Amen can't hit the broadside of the barn with his jumper. While promising, both kids are far, far away from being all-stars.

Prince_Hakeem, Bo6 and Stephen_A like this.
  7. OremLK

OremLK Member

He can almost function on offense like an athletic paint-scoring power forward, his athleticism and wingspan are that elite. Add in the court vision and it's a very unique package for a guard.

sirjesse likes this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Cam Whitmore looks a lot and plays like a Young Carmelo Anthony from the Nuggets. Speed, Power, Shooting Form.

Startin Small Forward is Perfect for Him.

Bo6, Richie_Rich and Stephen_A like this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

lol you’re one of the few that recognizes this. Cam isn’t a 2. Never been. Doesn’t have the tools for 2.

#29 Stephen_A, Feb 3, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
    OremLK and pmac like this.
  10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Really don’t understand why many fans like yourself keep saying Cam is a 2. He didn’t play 2 in college. He hasn’t played 2 with the Rockets besides one game. His game doesn’t merit him being a 2. He doesn’t pass well (0.7 asst in college & 0.4 assists NBA). He doesn’t look to make plays on the drive as he makes a decision to shoot or drive. He often passes when he doesn’t have a shot he is comfortable taking and swings the ball back on the perimeter or passes out on a give and go. He hasn’t shown he can play pick and roll with Sengun or weave in and out in the half-court looking for seams to drive or to set a teammate up. That’s what a SG does—a player in the backcourt supporting the pg—can handle the ball, make plays for teammates, and score.

pmac likes this.
  11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Unlikely. The reason they obtained those 2 players was because they wanted a new identity in terms of playing a tough defensive style, which Udoka wants. They wanted to reset a culture that didn’t play much defense and bring in vets with this mindset to guide the young players. Why would they abandon this decision and revert back to playing young players with little vet guidance and little defense? Cam isn’t a good defender at this point.

12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

To be fair to Udoka. Tari was on a minutes restriction all season.

13. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Just think about in terms of cap percentages.

Sengun will be at 25% of the cap on a rookie maximum. I think there’s almost zero chance he qualifies for the designated rookie extension 30%.

The Devin Vassell contract is 17% of the cap. Jaden Mcdaniels is 16% of the cap. If Jalen, Jabari, and Tari sign contracts at that level we’d be at 75% of the cap for those 4 players.

Let’s say Cam and Amen sign significant sub max extensions at 20% of the cap (equivalent to 150/5 today). That puts at 115% of the cap for 6 players in 2027/28 and basically right at the tax line if the roster is filled out with minimums.

A lot of assumptions there but it is theoretically possible to keep everyone, unless multiple guys earn true max rookie extensions (a good problem to have).

Extension negotiations and keeping the cap clean for 2027/28 will be absolutely critical.

jcmoon and OremLK like this.
  14. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

It was more because they had cap space, had to spend the money and we overpaid. They've worked out for the most part so no complaints but it was more of circumstances

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

that isn’t what was reported.

16. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

They obviously aren't going to say that and put a positive spin on it. The FA class was really weak and that cap space had to be spent. There wasn't a market for Brooks. Memphis was letting him walk. Glad he's here as I said. I'm not sure on FVV but we're pretty much paying him max money. I know contracts are huge now and it's not preventing us from adding anyone so no big deal

17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

We need FVV for at least next season and may even pick up his option if Amen’s jumper stays broken. Cam is set up to be a top 6th man next year and the bench with Amen, Cam, Tari, and Adams might be one of the best in the Association.

hajkov and saleem like this.
  18. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Amen isn't going to be good.
    Hope I'm wrong. But I am not wrong often.

19. Ancient Moabite

I mentioned on here how Cam is Carmelo Anthony like in his gunner mentality with a pass here and there, but is looking to shoot 95% of time, which isn't a bad thing, and looks even better because he is on NBA Jam fire right now

I was told I may be cursing/hexing Cam by saying how I view his play in the court

Some folks are super suspect when it comes to talking bball on here

20. Ancient Moabite

It seems like when he get his max bench minutes he tends to flirt with a triple dub and fly around on defense, his size is crucial to their small ball

Folks always worrying about being right/wrong instead of enjoying the organic rebuild

Most likely you are going to be wrong because he is already a good player in the small sample and only injuries have slowed his process

If you would have said he won't be All NBA (Star) or Superstar or won't win league MVP then you may have had more weight to throw around

But we shall see

BaselineFade likes this.