1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Rockets getting Steven Adams in trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Feb 1, 2024.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This person is dumb. We still have the salary for future trades. We can still get 2nd round picks back for Adams next year if all else fails. And in the meantime, Adams will be the perfect backup center for Sengun next season. I can't see what's not to like. People will complain about literally anything.

2. plegus

plegus Member

I understand your take about the trade. I have my own reasons to like the outcome. However this person is not dumb.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

If we waived KPJ we wouldn't be able to make the trade we made with Memphis. His salary would have still counted against the cap since his salary became guaranteed this past summer when we didn't waive him. So essentially we would of just 5 2nd rounders. Right now we still have the flexibility to get a player like Brogdon since we didn't have to send out Landale in this trade.

Rocketeer likes this.
  4. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Actually… there’s a way we could have straight up waived KPJ and made this trade while still having Landale, Tate, and Jeff Green available to trade out for someone like Brogdon.

We still have the full room exception after all the hijinks in free agency last summer. If we wanted to we could have signed someone off the street to be an $8M room exception expiring contract after waiving KPJ. Then that person could have been traded for Adams.

It just would have cost us the extra $8M… evidently we value $8M in cash more than 3 second round picks.

ArtV, Aruba77 and Nook like this.
  5. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

1. How are you coming to your 50% number?

2. If Adams was the same player then he would be much more expensive. Bigs are still a premium in this league. And the odds of us signing a C as good as him IF healthy for his cap hit are low.

It's called risk/reward for a reason. We are taking a chance on an injured player that can be better than any other big we could get at that salary amount if healthy.

BamBam and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

He's more than capable of being a backup. This isn't the Rockets trading for him to be a starter like hes been years prior.

There's nothing in this trade the Rockets will miss. Dipo's chance of playing is actually even lower than Adams. The 2nd round picks value is as low as it gets for this team that already has a long list of young guys who need minutes

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I just posted the Wizards asked for multiple 2nd rounders for Tyus Jones who is a decent player.

So 2nd rounders are the new currency in the game.....very disposable, convenient.

No Worries likes this.
  9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would love for us to get Tyus Jones.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I’m ok with those odds at that cost. I know turning 2nds into gold does happen but overall most mid 2nds don’t turn into anything.

I do think he’ll be better practice fodder and give a 10-15 minute breathers for Alpi - much more so than Jock or Boban but yeah the floor is a large expiring next year.

12. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

lol meant hope but howl works too. We got enough vets where we don’t need him anymore for locker room

No Worries likes this.
  14. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I will revise. He may not be dumb, but this is a dumb take. 2 out of 3 of the seconds are for 2024. Tell me how we are going to fit three second rounders on our roster next year? We aren't. They literally have to be moved. I think this move could potentially address our backup center position next year while simultaneously extending our window to package the kpj salary slot in a larger deal through next trade deadline.

I just don't know what anybody thinks we were going to do with all of those seconds but use them as sweeteners in trades for rotation pieces. Had we kept them through the draft, they'd likely be sold to other teams for cash. Would this guy have preferred that?

topfive, YOLO and No Worries like this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would like to have Tyus Jones on this team, as the backup 1. Tyus works hard on both ends of the floor and is not a 2 hiding out as a 1.

#275 No Worries, Feb 2, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

they should have traded for some new doctors instead. a young 22 year old stud - Tari has not played most of the season due to strange vague injuries; + signing a player who probably will never get on court again.. the medical evaluation staff - are they outsourced from India?

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

But that would deny this board multiple threads with 100s pages discussing the merits of each player and how the GM either was an idiot or savant for drafting them.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

there's no such thing as a cap or max quota on vets. It's actually more like the Rockets don't need anymore kids added to this locker room

19. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I like the move but was really hoping for them to trade for Olynyk. I feel like they could’ve resigned him in the offseason with the NTMLE and kept the salary alive that way.

My other trade target is Schroder bc he is under contract for next season as well.

Schroder and Olynyk (or now Adams) at a combined salary of around 25m next season could be combined for a player making around 32m. They are also players that a contender could be willing to trade a first for.

I like the trade but the Rockets need to still look to add a backup PG and Center who can play this season without giving up the BKN picks. If they do look to add both positions then one of them will need to be a minimum salary player bc they no longer have the salary to match.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I love the elite shooting on that particular team when everyone heats up. Like the Heat team.