1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Rockets getting Steven Adams in trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Feb 1, 2024.

1. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Solid move but a little underwhelming. I’m hoping for help this season.

GotGame15 likes this.
  2. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

"Star" Woj said it so its true :)

Jontro likes this.
  3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I love this trade. Yes, he's out til next season, but he'll be a great backup center and mentor, he'll be only 31, and he's got an expiring contract. So if he's a great fit for the Rockets, they can look to resign him. If not or if they think his salary can be used to get even better, he can be moved at the deadline in 2025.

Y2JT and mikol13 like this.
  4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Absolutely LOVE this move. Having a huge, tough, enforcing, experienced, great locker room presence backup for Alpy is phenomenal

Y2JT, Williamson, joshuaao and 5 others like this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Funny thing about this is I don't think Adams lifts weights much. lol.

Jontro and cheke64 like this.
  6. plegus

plegus Member

Lol what

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I recall reading about him laughing when people say he has superhuman strength and can't be moved. He said something like there are probably lots of people in the NBA stronger than he is, but he uses positional strength, use his stance, how to place his feet, etc. and gets a lot of that from watching jiu-jitsu/martial arts.

joshuaao, daywalker02 and Jontro like this.
  8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Does anyone know which specific 2nd round picks we sent out?

I thought we had 3 2nds in 2024 and 2 in 2024

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

I like it... he's pretty good when healthy... 3 second round picks for a 2024-2025 expiring seems a bit high but there's a potential to resign him to a decent deal.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I mean.... meh?

30 year old oft injured big man coming off a pretty significant injury and layoff. Would be a little bit surprising if he played for us at all, ever. This is clearly a move to extend the time frame for when we can use that salary slot. So we spent three 2nds to kick the can? Ouch. After watching Tilman burn down the Harden Era it will always make me nervous when the team sets assets on fire.

This doesn't even worry Jock Landale. A nothing burger. With a side of fried assets.

12. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

I love Steven Adams the player throughout his career and consider him the ideal backup to complement Sengun, but isn't his knee completely cooked?

I believe most PCL injuries are managed non-operatively, since the surgery has such a long recovery time. The fact that he basically didn't respond to the standard treatment should be a giant alarm, along with the fact that he's probably going to be coming back after nearly two full years of not playing a single minute, even if he's ready for opening night. Not to mention, he'll be 31 while attempting this unprecedented return.

I think that the risk he's completely washed and is a salary albatross next year is unacceptably high, and was not worth giving up two fairly premium 2nd rounders this year (currently #38 and #40).

This is a bet on the Rockets' medical team being more competent than the Grizzlies', despite their team tracking his entire health and recovery for two years, while the Rockets are making educated guesses from outside the building.

Y2JT and Little Bit like this.
  13. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Why though? Our current roster is not equipped for a deep post-season run...I like the trade especially if Steven Adams is healthy next year and all we gave up were 2nd round picks

Williamson and Joe Rocket like this.
  14. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Everyone is assuming he’s not just another trade chip in a weak free agent off season.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  15. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Great move! We can always pay cash to teams to get 2nd round draft picks if we see a certain value in a prospective pick

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Get some meat on those bones Jabari:

Bearius Jones likes this.
  17. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Sengun and Adams are both 6’11.

Hmm…

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Steep price, but Adams is worth it. He is significantly better than a typical backup center assuming healthy next year.

sirjesse likes this.
  19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Love the move and have followed Steven Adams since OKC drafted him. He's an incredible locker room guy who believes in professional conduct and serious effort on the court. He'll help Alpi to become a better defender because he knows the tendencies of opposing players and has a bag full of "tricks" on how to play almost dirty without being called for fouls.

Alpi will learn a LOT from him on the defensive side.

joshuaao, jcmoon, NIKEstrad and 2 others like this.
  20. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

We got AquaMan

daywalker02 and OkayAyeReloaded like this.