1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do the rockets see Sengun as the franchise player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by arno_ed, Feb 1, 2024.

?

Do the rockets see Sengun as the franchise player?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    50.7%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    49.3%
  1. plegus

plegus Member

Yep, and you will not stop crying unless otherwise, where our crying begins lol.

We can talk about what it is necessary IF Alperen is the first option vs 2nd or 3rd but I do not believe you are capable of it without trolling so there is that. I am not against Jalen being the first option should he continues to be this great for Rox, I am not sure about the ultimate fit. I would certainly not want Alperen as my 5 if we utilize run and gun with our core. Enter: Lob threat

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think we have a FRANCHISE PLAYER as of yet. Some people want it to be Sengun but Ive always said he is not.

His weaknesses are too profound to be considered a franchise player; short, poor rebounder, no defense and lack of stamina.

He looks really good when he is rolling offensively but when he is nit, we see what we saw last night. When his game is off, what does he do best?

For example, when Jalen's game was off, he was still rebounding and playing defense. Thats not Sengun. And thats why Ive always said, Sengun is only effective offensively

#42 hlmbasketball, Feb 1, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sengunians seem to take everything so personally . . .

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Exactly why you are talking out of your own dear behind.......the Advanced Stats have Alperen way above Green this season more on Offense but also on Defense.

This Jalen playing Defense narrative is way overblown, he is playing better Defense than his first 2 seasons, but he is still below average.

Sengün's Defense is not elite but has upgraded to above average (good).

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Oh I really do not want that. I really disliked that offense. And do not want that back. I like team focussed play and making the extra pass and getting easier shots as a result.

My comments are not based on what is happening on the floor. More what is happening outside of the floor. I think Udoka does believe in Sengun. And I support the way he handles Sengun. The problem is I think the front office does not see a franchise player in Sengun.

snowconeman22 and harold bingo like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think they are trying to figure out which direction to go, it looks like for Jalen to be successful Alpi has to take a back seat and vice versa - which one leads to wins, which to meaningless stats?

It may come down to the org having to choose between Alpi and Jalen.

DD

7. arno_ed

Haha, yes I joined a rockets board over 20 years ago because I knew one day the savior Sengun would join the team. I remained a fan during the Franchise years and the 14th pick years just so I could forget about the team and only support Sengun.

harold bingo likes this.
  8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Ideally they might replace fvv with green and spam the green/Sengun game and replace green with cam.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Mirsad Turkcan only fan I knew it! ;)

arno_ed likes this.
  10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why do you think they can't succeed together? How come they can't play like Jokic and Murray? I'm not saying they can or they can't, I don't know, I'm just curious why you think this. They did have the laker game where they both had 30/10, but on the other hand they've been playing together for years and that's the first time they've ever done it, so maybe that's evidence to support your point. Like I said I really have no idea, but it's an interesting thing to discuss.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. arno_ed

Haha. I'm a Serge Zwikker only fan :). And Othella Harrington (I was upset because we traded Harrington and Dickerson away for Francis).... So funny how young we once were....

Oh man I do remember when we drafted Turkcan one of my teamates (Whos parents were from Turkey) tried to convince me that he would be a good player......

That being said I do love rookies that we drafted in general. I believe Sengun can be very good, but I am also a huge fan of Bari, Tari, Amen and Cam. I still have faith in Green, but to me he has a bit to much tendencies from our previous coach, as in being a ball stopper and making shots more difficult than they need to be. But I hope he will change his playing style a bit. Because visually I am not a fan of the iso-heavy guards

Verbal Christ likes this.
  12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No. But we still quite often jack up shots without any prior ball movement.

13. DaDakota

Glad you asked, in the playoffs the game slows down and you need structure - Jalen has proven that he excels without it, but struggles under structure - Alpi is more versatile and can play either way.

I am not sure if either are the ALPHA we are looking for, but the org has to make a decision soon on whom to pay the max too or maybe not to either.....and I am not sure they know.

Seems they are showcasing Jalen ATM - while he has improved the style they are playing of him with the ball in his hands more than FVV is different and it is helping him excel, but Alpi is on the downturn and conversely when Alpi is up, Jalen is down.....

Anyway, I don't believe we can keep all 6 developing players and the org is trying to decide whom to keep and whom to trade, and a lot of people will be upset in 3 years when only 3 or 4 of these guys AT MOST are still here.

DD

Attila52 and harold bingo like this.
  14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I don't think so. If Jalen is good, he's good. Same for Alpi.

Just the other night folks were celebrating both of them scoring 30+ in the same game.

Even over the past 5 game stretch where Jalen has looked better than he has all season, Alpi has mostly played well.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  15. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Horrible timing on this thread if you really wanted an accurate poll and not a bunch of knee-jerk reactions. Alpi just had his worst game of the season arguably and Jalen is amidst his best stretch of the season. If you had asked this when Jalen was in a prolonged slump and Alpi just won Western conference player of the week it would be a resounding "yes."

Bo6 likes this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ball bounces out - "Jalen is terrible, get him off the team and out of the league."

Ball bounces in - "Seems like the Rockets are showcasing him for a trade."

KingCheetah, Easy and mfastx like this.
  17. DaDakota

It is all about WINNING basketball - which style wins more often, a controlled low turnover game run through FVV and Sengun - which forces Green to struggle with the structure and slower pace.

Or

A more up tempo down hill attacking style of offense with a few more turnovers but much more pace, and more ISO....which Jalen excels at and Alpi can play a tertiary role but isn't the focal point.

That is what the Org is facing (I believe) trying to pick a style that they like or think is sustainable and works.

Or, the ORG knows which style they want and is SHOWCASING Jalen for a trade by playing a system for a couple of weeks which highlights his play style.....

DD

Attila52 likes this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

I had my doubts going into the season--I certainly saw him as one piece of the core, but I did not think we had enough data on any of the players to decide, "okay, this is the guy we build around". But he has proven it now. At least for the moment, he's The Guy, insomuch as we have one.

They would have to be to be incredibly foolish not to see that he's the player closest to being a guy you build around out of all our current young players. His production has been the best of any of the young core, and it isn't close--he leads by a large margin in nearly every statistical category.

Whether somebody else eventually could surpass him, I don't know, but you definitely prioritize your best young player in the meantime. You still give other guys a chance to succeed of course, and you certainly don't throw away other core young players for questionable returns, it just means when you make moves you make them with your best player in mind.

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

They should.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. DaDakota

Not even talking about that, but it is a make or miss league.

Jalen is getting the ball a lot more often and initiating the offense where FVV was the primary and Sengun the secondary initiator before - and it helps Jalen's game he is a guy that seemingly needs the ball a lot to be effective.

Might be showcasing, might be simply saying, let's see if this works.....dunno.

DD